Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replica's

Replica's

Do you think replica's should be able to participate in historic races? Some time ago there was commotion about this question, as some were opposed to this. I've seen some great replica's which are practically indistinguishable from the real thing. Do you say no I don't want the reps to mix with the old bunch or do you find it ok if exact replica's compete in the same races?

If the replica's look the same under the bonnet too, I would say yes to their participation; same sort of engine, same sort of brakes etc...
    Friends say that I've always got a smile on my face.

they can-t be identicall.... .. if they are identicall ... .. those cars are not replicas

You have a point there, but when do you call it a replica? If a car is not built under licence of the original manufacturer it is a rep. Take the Aston Martin DB4GT Zagato: it was first built in '61 and in 1991 the building of four other cars was commissioned, being the Sanction II cars. It is merely a continuation of a great car. It is a shame that this does not happen to other cars. It's difficult for me to use the word replica for some cars which you can't really cal replica, but in fact they are. For example the Lynx Lightweight Low-drag E-type, http://www.lynxmotors.co.uk/index1.htm, which is exactly the same as the original one, you can hardly refer to it as a rep. Thus they could well be sold under the name Jaguar.The Lynx D-type is probably the best D-type replica around, yet it has E-type IRS instead of a live axle. It also has a 3.8l engine instead of a 3.4l. Apart from that it's hard to notice the difference.
    Of course some replica's aren't even worth it to be referred to as replica. Examples of shabby Lotus 7 and Cobras are abundant.

i know the lynx cars .. and yes I belive that those are replicas ... even if they do look identical .. under the hood .. it's a different thing .. even if the parts are from a period very close to the original ... i don't say that they should not compete in the same events . but it should be in different classes .... a replica class .. just an ideea
    There is no terrible way of winning
    there is just winning

I've read similar ideas in C&SC a couple of years ago, that is the replica class. But then again they should look as close as possible to the real thing. The cars shouldn't be modified then, cos that won't do the aspiration for originality any good. I must admit that most original old racers have been modified into machines that are faster than they used to be.

just wondering .. do you have a replica???? and if yes . tell me some information about it ....

i've seen a report about Le Tour ... and in that races for the winn only cars pre 1965 competed .. but wew also present cars from around 1970 ..
    Last edited by DasModell; 05-14-2003 at 10:10 AM.
    There is no terrible way of winning
    there is just winning

No I don't have a replica, although I'd like to own a perfect Cobra replica, or a Lynx E-type.

I'm a big fan of replicas. But I don't think they should be allowed to participate in vintage races. Despite the fact that a replica may be an exact 1:1 model as the real thing, it won't be made from the same materials, won't be made by the same people, and won't have the same stregnth and reliability.

Picture a guy who spend $10 million on his GTO replica, who gets bumped by a guy in a $100,000 GTO replica. Is this fair to the guy who spend $10 million on his car?

Maybe they should have a seperate class for replicas at vintage races. I'll bet the racing would actually be more exciting for those classes.

I prefer the real deal, a replica does not have the history that makes a real classic so good. As for the Cobra replicas, that is a different matter, many of them are kit-cars in the shape of the Cobra, just like the Caterham Seven is a kit-car based on the Lotus Seven. They don't pretend to be the real thing, and in most cases it's quite obvious not the real deal.

A replica racing class sounds a little absurd. There are only very few true replicas around; some GT40s, the Lynx E-Types and the Dino 246 and Lancia D50 F1 racers. If you do want to race something, try something modern like the Radical SR3 featured this week, it offers a lot more for a fraction of the cost of a good replica.

my father made a replica of a morgan based on ford granada it had a 2.8 V6 engine. He sold it for 10 000 euros

no way! replicas r replicas they r not the real car and they should be BANNED!!!!
    A Prancing Horse will ALWAYS back away from a RAGING BULL

p/s: I Love the Murcielago!!!

no offence but some replicas look better than the real cars
    BAZOOKA EXHAUST

that's cause they r new and "restored"
    A Prancing Horse will ALWAYS back away from a RAGING BULL

p/s: I Love the Murcielago!!!

restored with inverted commas eh - do you even know what the hell restored means - replica is a totally different - go find out what the meaning of inverted commas mean then use it
    BAZOOKA EXHAUST

Thread Information