Thread: Team Essex, Zytek take on Le Mans challenge

Team Essex, Zytek take on Le Mans challenge

Peter Halvorsen missed the 2005 24 Hours of Le Mans but is looking forward to his team's new challenge for 2006. The Team Essex owner has announced his partnership with Zytek Engineering to develop the new Zytek LMP1 sportscar prototype, aiming for the podium at the La Sarthe circuit.

"It was a disappointment of proportions not to take part in last year's race, and we are very proud to present our programme today," commented Halvorsen. "With a 100 % Danish, and indeed a 100 % Team Essex, crew in a car, which is among the top five, our team manager John Nielsen has been given a task which is a huge challenge."

The Danish team will take on the new Audi R10 diesel-powered engine, along with what will be a formidable driver lineup, including Denmark's star racer and seven-time Le Mans winner Tom Kristensen.

Halvorsen's team believes they are up for the challenge of not only the Audi factory teams but all the P1 contenders including other Zytek teams. "We believe that a podium finish is possible and are looking forward to an exciting race in the middle of June in France where we along with 20,000 other Danes might experience the biggest triumph of all." Halvorsen said.

On the Zytek side of the equation, they have only a few short months to prepare the new 2006 prototype. The first shakedown will take place at the end of March followed by a full-out testing program.

Team Essex's team manager is used to challenges, the veteran sportscar racer looks to return to the cockpit at Le Mans. John Nielsen will be joined by Casper Elgaard and Philip Andersen in June. "It will be my 18th Le Mans and aboard a competitive car. What more can you ask for as a racing driver?" expressed Nielsen.

"I'm looking forward to the challenge ahead and the fact that I have my Team Essex colleagues Casper Elgaard and Philip Andersen as my co-drivers will only make the challenge and the joy even bigger," he added. "With this crew we have the mixture of the flippancy of youth and the thoughtfulness of experience. We are aiming for the podium!"

The team hopes to participate at the Le Mans Endurance Series event in May at Spa, and the 1000 km race will be the real test of the car's capabilities and allow the three drivers valuable seat time. Team Essex was the winning team at the famous world circuit in Belgium last year in a Zytek. They hope to repeat the victory this year, prior to the world's most prestigious sportscar event in France.

"The fact that we won the classical 1000 km race at Spa with the Zytek car, where we proved that we belonged among the favourites at Le Mans, and then subsequently did not get a starting permit, just make me even more excited," explained Elgaard. "Zytek will be building the new car on the experiences gained from the old car, which was one of the fastest sports prototypes in the World, and the lessons learnt from that makes me believe that we will be heading for the start with a car that has what it takes to win. Now it is up to us as a crew to make the best of it."

Newcomer to the Danish team will be Andersen. The Danish Touring Car racer is use to hard-fought battles from the very competitive series in Denmark to his early days in karting and open-wheel racing.

"It is hard to put into words how much I am looking forward to this new challenge. One of my lifelong dreams has come true, and together with John and Casper I will do my best to make this a success," said Andersen. "To make my Le Mans debut with Team Essex just makes things easier. I know the staff and the team and I can thus concentrate on the task ahead. With John Nielsen being the captain I could not have imagined a better teacher."

Andersen will team with Elgaard for the Le Mans effort, but the two will be competitors in the Danish Touring Car Championship again. Elgaard bested his main rival in the series last season, earning a back-to-back title. Jan Magnussen, like many of the Danish drivers loves the DTCC and like Elgaard, fits it into his schedule racing in other series. Nielsen was fifth and Andersen took the final top-ten slot in the 2005 DTCC standings.

Along with Kristensen, Magnussen has won at Le Mans (GT class) plus the two talented Danish drivers have series' championships on their resume. Add the first Danish racer to score the overall Le Mans victory to the mix, Nielsen's win came in 1990.

Along with the championships that Nielsen has garnered, Denmark is high on the list of racers who make it to the top of their chosen career.

"For the Essex organisation Le Mans is a unique opportunity to nurture our business relations and partners. We have chosen to decorate the car in the colours of Essex' as well as those of Denmark," Halvorsen said. "We are Danish and have strong traditions at Le Mans, which started with John Nielsen as the country's first Le Mans winner and which has been continued by Tom Kristensen."

Zytek 04S Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan
    Zytek 04S Hybrid
    Hot!!! Can't wait to watch them at Le Mans...
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

Creation Autosportif is also working on their Hybrid, which will be called the CA06-H-001 and it will have Judd GV5 V10 power

Creation CA06-H

Thread Information