Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Richards gives Villeneuve a verbal kicking

Richards gives Villeneuve a verbal kicking

Former BAR boss David Richards has launched an outspoken attack against Jacques Villeneuve, dismissing the French/Canadian as "past his sell-by date" and suggesting that he may be a disruptive influence at BMW.

There's no love lost between the pair after their turbulent relationship at BAR culminated in Richards deciding not to offer JV a new deal. Or at least a contract offering a salary in excess of £1.

Villeneuve has not been shy about voicing his contempt for Richards, admitting that he was happy to see him ousted as BAR's Team Principal.

Although JV accused Richards of orchestrating a whispering campaign against him in the paddock, Richards has remained, in public at least, silent on his former driver. Until now.

"Bluntly, he's past his sell-by, and has been for some time," he told F1-Racing magazine.

"I know that Mario [Theissen, BMW-Sauber's new boss] is retaining Jacques' services, but if I'd been him I wouldn't have even entertained the idea. In a difficult year - and 2006 will definitely be difficult for BMW - the last thing they need is someone like Jacques."

What's more, Richards was insistent that it was a mistake for Sauber to bring back JV into F1 last season.

"I was surprised to see that Peter employed Jacques. It was an odd decision, and it certainly didn't seem to work out. I sensed there were periods in the middle of the season, and even early on, when Peter's famously calm Swiss exterior showed the extent of his frustration with the Jacques situation."

Damning words; but then again, it should be remembered that Richards is the team boss who gave Crashaholic Takuma Sato a full-time seat in F1 and then offered to give his errant driver a driving lesson based on his golf swing.

funny how BAR started doing well after thiose 2 left.
    Who killed the Electric Car?
    GO HABS GO!

JV did set the best time of a day at Jerez with the BMW V8 powered 2005 Sauber

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan
    JV did set the best time of a day at Jerez with the BMW V8 powered 2005 Sauber
    be careful, a driver ( or more importantly his manager ) will often arrange a "test" with a very light car, rumoured in some cases in the past to be BELOW legal F1 weight. It gets them and the team some attention and press coverage.

It takes the first qualifying and race to get any REAL sign of performance !

Note, it's alos not unheard of for an F1 team to "sandbag" their first public outings if they beleive they ahve a VERY strong package
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

not to menton that early testing serves to try varius setups for high speed, cornering, longevity etc...
    many teams are not there to get the best laptimes (unlike a real race) but to get testing data.

Not to mention that tire manufacturers try different kinds of rubber at these pre-season testing sessions.

Having the best lap time will certainly boost JV's confidence, but it does not mean that much.
    Who killed the Electric Car?
    GO HABS GO!

I hope JV at least gets a podium in 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan
    "I know that Mario [Theissen, BMW-Sauber's new boss] is retaining Jacques' services, but if I'd been him I wouldn't have even entertained the idea. In a difficult year - and 2006 will definitely be difficult for BMW - the last thing they need is someone like Jacques."

What's more, Richards was insistent that it was a mistake for Sauber to bring back JV into F1 last season.
    Buying out JV contract might have been more painful. With BMW without Williams for the first time it might be advantageous to have at least one seasoned driver, especially one with working experience of Sauber.

Is see JV, DC, MS, and even Barichello as senior members who'll train/influence their team mates before retiring very soon.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

It's all part of Richards' master to plan for his F1 team. He'll get Sauber BMW to get rid of JV then Richards will hire him.

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAdv
    Is see JV, DC, MS, and even Barichello as senior members who'll train/influence their team mates before retiring very soon.
    What woudl JV train a junior driver to do ?
    whinge, moan, complain, under achieve, blame someone else ?

i'm afraid JV never impressed as soon as he was required to be a "driver" and not just a "pilot". Rather than knowing how to create a better car he only ever seemed to struggle with the staring point given to him and THEN moan that it didnt' get better. He is nowhere near those other drivers in terms of being able to guide a car development. Never shown ANY capability to to it in F1.

IMHO
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Just heard on TV that Alonso will sign for McLaren in 2007...
    You type without knowledge, you are 'a keyboard warrior - lots of mouth, little brain....

No he won't.

I'm torn on the Jacques 'F*cking' Vile-nerve issue. On one had, I think he's a moaning, whinge-merchant with nothing but a famous name going for him but on the other, he's an interesting character, actually a pretty decent driver on his day and therefore, a good thing for F1. Having said that, I'd prefer to see his seat going to Paffett or Davidson or Lewis (even Kovalainen, it's a shame the continuation of the battle with Nico will have to wait a year!) - one of the young guns at the start of their career. Jacques lack of car development ability doesn't make him a logical choice. When DC signed for RB I could see what they were doing - he's at the end of his career but he's famous for his ability to verbalise problems and offer possible solutions to them. JV is just a driver - pure and simple, old school.

Incidentally, have you heard that the Concorde Agreement (albeit in 1997 guise) is available? Go to www.racefax.com and, once they've relieved you of $50, they'll send you a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by MrKipling
    Incidentally, have you heard that the Concorde Agreement (albeit in 1997 guise) is available? Go to www.racefax.com and, once they've relieved you of $50, they'll send you a copy.
    Most of it has been up at http://www.concordeagreement.com/ for ages, gleaned from various sources, press releases and filling in the gaps

Yeah, but this is the proper document, from the horses mouth, so to speak.

Erm... I stand corrected, Alonso HAS signed for McLaren in 07! I'm speachless.

Quote Originally Posted by MrKipling
    Yeah, but this is the proper document, from the horses mouth, so to speak.
    That was a given, but why spend $50 on something MOST OF WHICH is already public ?? It was for those who might be tempted to waste $50 !!!

Thanks MrKipling...
    You type without knowledge, you are 'a keyboard warrior - lots of mouth, little brain....

Thread Information