Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best American Super Car

Best American Super Car

What do you think is the best American Super car? (try to stick with the modern ones, if you'd like).

I have to cast my lot with the Corvette ZR1. It has undoubted performance. It has the most power (638), most torque (topping out at 600), and is the lightest (dropping in at 3340). It has a brilliant suspension (FERRARI uses the Magnetic Suspension technology), and it has brilliant weight distribution (48/51). My only problem is that it's engine isn't front mid mounted, which is a huge let down considering its huge capabilities.
    "Don't think your time on bad things
    Just float your little mind around"
    Jimi Hendrix

Saleen S7/S7 TT/S7 TT Competition.

Better weight distribution, downforce etc. And up to 1,000 hp. Plus I like the looks.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

I always forget about these "tuner" supercars! I always have my mind on the Big 3 production cars, but if we are talking those "tuners," then I'd have the Hennessey Venom GT. Almost exactly the same specs, but better looking. And probably more reliable (I've seen reports of Saleen S7s having the crappiest gaskets. I'll try to find the video, but some guy was saying how he bought an S7, and then on a road trip, the gasket blew, destroying the whole motor. Then on the way back home after getting a new motor, it blew again!).
    "Don't think your time on bad things
    Just float your little mind around"
    Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum9987 View Post
    I always forget about these "tuner" supercars! I always have my mind on the Big 3 production cars, but if we are talking those "tuners," then I'd have the Hennessey Venom GT. Almost exactly the same specs, but better looking. And probably more reliable (I've seen reports of Saleen S7s having the crappiest gaskets. I'll try to find the video, but some guy was saying how he bought an S7, and then on a road trip, the gasket blew, destroying the whole motor. Then on the way back home after getting a new motor, it blew again!).
    A Venom GT is a pumped up GT, similar to Hennessey's Venom series of Vipers. The S7 is a whole new car, not a pumped up Mustang or anything.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Hennessey as you may know isn't exactly known for, well, doing things well or making them last or making them last or treating his customer well as I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Hennessey as you may know isn't exactly known for, well, doing things well or making them last or making them last or treating his customer well as I recall.
    That too. Probably why he started on other cars than Vipers, to get into a whole new market where he isn't as well known.
    Big cities suck

Newer cars, I'd take a Ford GT. Its timeless just like the car it pays homage to.

If we're talking older American cars of status, I wouldn't hesitate for even a split second to take an AC Cobra. That is THE american car. I want one of those Factory 5 replicas.

Quote Originally Posted by DesmoRob View Post
    Newer cars, I'd take a Ford GT. Its timeless just like the car it pays homage to.

If we're talking older American cars of status, I wouldn't hesitate for even a split second to take an AC Cobra. That is THE american car. I want one of those Factory 5 replicas.
    I'd take a kit (there are some good kits out there) GT40 over the Ford GT. You'd have the same reliability and a lighter car with a feel (and look, in person there's quite a difference) closer to the original. But yeah, the Cobra rules. If I ever have the money I'd try and get a hold of one of the official Shelby reproductions.
    Big cities suck

The new Hennessey Venom GT. An elise on steroids that is then on acid and then blessed by Chuck Norris.
    I want to die in my sleep like my Grandma, not screaming like the other 3 people in her car.

There are 10 types of people in this world. People who understand binary and people who don't.

Oh, right the Hennessey Venom GT is different from the Hennessey Venom (viper) and Hennessey GT (ford GT.) My bad.

Still, made by Hennessey with all that entails.
    Big cities suck

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum9987 View Post
    What do you think is the best American Super car? (try to stick with the modern ones, if you'd like).

I have to cast my lot with the Corvette ZR1. It has undoubted performance. It has the most power (638), most torque (topping out at 600), and is the lightest (dropping in at 3340). It has a brilliant suspension (FERRARI uses the Magnetic Suspension technology), and it has brilliant weight distribution (48/51). My only problem is that it's engine isn't front mid mounted, which is a huge let down considering its huge capabilities.
    Front mid mounted is a rather pointless classifier. The TJ Jeep Wrangler with the I4 had a front mid motor. The longer I6 extended past the front axle so I guess it wasn't front mid. Funny, I would have assumed both were front engined since the engine was in front of the passenger compartment.

BTW, I think the Corvette motor is behind the front axle line though it would make virtually no difference if it wasn't.

The best American supercars were Chaparral's because in the company's short racing life they were as innovative as any racing company in history.

Quote Originally Posted by culver View Post
    Front mid mounted is a rather pointless classifier. The TJ Jeep Wrangler with the I4 had a front mid motor. The longer I6 extended past the front axle so I guess it wasn't front mid. Funny, I would have assumed both were front engined since the engine was in front of the passenger compartment.

BTW, I think the Corvette motor is behind the front axle line though it would make virtually no difference if it wasn't.

The best American supercars were Chaparral's because in the company's short racing life they were as innovative as any racing company in history.
    That's probably true, but they never made a street version, did they?
    Big cities suck

The source of all knowledge says it's the position of the centre of mass of the engine which makes the difference between FR and FMR, in which case I'd guess that the ZR1 is FMR.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    The source of all knowledge says it's the position of the centre of mass of the engine which makes the difference between FR and FMR, in which case I'd guess that the ZR1 is FMR.
    If the Viper can pull it off I'm sure the Vette can. It's all semantics anyways. Speaking of the Viper, if the ZR1 is at all in the running I'd like to nominate the ACR. It takes advantage of aerodynamics to create downforce (even the top of the line ZR1 still creates lift) of 1200 lb at top speed and 1,000 at 150 mph. Even the base Viper makes 100, for that matter. Plus it's just more bad ass.
    Big cities suck

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    If the Viper can pull it off I'm sure the Vette can. It's all semantics anyways. Speaking of the Viper, if the ZR1 is at all in the running I'd like to nominate the ACR. It takes advantage of aerodynamics to create downforce (even the top of the line ZR1 still creates lift) of 1200 lb at top speed and 1,000 at 150 mph. Even the base Viper makes 100, for that matter. Plus it's just more bad ass.
    Ehhhh... I liked the Viper when it came out as it was crazy and I was a lad, then I cooled. Now I like it again, but I can't help shake that at heart, I prefer the Corvette. I prefer the engine, I prefer the heritage, I prefer the fact that it was a huge deal - I was really pulling for GM at that time after disliking the company for most of my life. I saw the ZR1 at NAIAS the year of it's launch... I dunno, I just dig it.

The ACR is awesome though. Hmm... What about a very limited run end of the line street legal track special ZR1?

It won't happen, but it'd be cool.

EDIT: You are just a Mopar fanboy.

Thread Information