Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ignition cut-off switch

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    probably because they think it's cooler, beside being unsafe. stick with the standard one with the "clutch-layout"
    That could be the case. However, alot of the cars dont have the space for the big red ones, like in my situation.

The race cars I've seen (SCCA formula cars) use the larger switch. It is common in the formula cars to have that big switch wired into the dash the use a cable to route a remote kill near the roll bar. I am almost certain that the SCCA requires the positive battery cable be routed directly into the switch. The logic being they want to completely disconnect the battery from the rest of the car. This BTW is not how your car is normally wired. Normally a heavy wire goes to the starter relay positive terminal. This cable is up to handling the starter amperage (50+ amps). The rest of the car is powered off a second smaller line which would be fused. The starter line is also often fused on newer cars (not as often on older cars).

So if you were to put the switch on the smaller wire sure it would kill the engine but it wouldn't isolate the battery from the rest of the car thus you may still have fire/spark dangers if the start wires were damaged.

The pull cable is a great way to allow you to mount the switch in the engine bay so it isn't seen during normal, non-racing driving.

Quote Originally Posted by culver View Post
    The race cars I've seen (SCCA formula cars) use the larger switch. It is common in the formula cars to have that big switch wired into the dash the use a cable to route a remote kill near the roll bar. I am almost certain that the SCCA requires the positive battery cable be routed directly into the switch. The logic being they want to completely disconnect the battery from the rest of the car. This BTW is not how your car is normally wired. Normally a heavy wire goes to the starter relay positive terminal. This cable is up to handling the starter amperage (50+ amps). The rest of the car is powered off a second smaller line which would be fused. The starter line is also often fused on newer cars (not as often on older cars).

So if you were to put the switch on the smaller wire sure it would kill the engine but it wouldn't isolate the battery from the rest of the car thus you may still have fire/spark dangers if the start wires were damaged.

The pull cable is a great way to allow you to mount the switch in the engine bay so it isn't seen during normal, non-racing driving.
    Great advice thanks.

superwaxer
    g'day from downunder first and formost what type of car are you fiting this switch to,is the car fuel injected or on carbie's.(it maters)secondly is there set of rules that the car need's to comply to,i say this becose over here we have a governing body that controls the safty and licencing of the sport.(cams)my car has one of these switches fitted to it and it is the only way to go it also has a remote cable to opperate it from the outside (the reason for that is in case of a roleover it could get snaped off makeing it useless to the fire mashals)i have a wireing diagram somewere around the place i will try to find it and post it
    vetec it's the automotive equivilent of schizaphrenia
    single handly keeping stanley headlight's in business
    founding member of the over 2lt asault team

Quote Originally Posted by ballast View Post
    superwaxer
    g'day from downunder first and formost what type of car are you fiting this switch to,is the car fuel injected or on carbie's.(it maters)secondly is there set of rules that the car need's to comply to,i say this becose over here we have a governing body that controls the safty and licencing of the sport.(cams)my car has one of these switches fitted to it and it is the only way to go it also has a remote cable to opperate it from the outside (the reason for that is in case of a roleover it could get snaped off makeing it useless to the fire mashals)i have a wireing diagram somewere around the place i will try to find it and post it
    Hey ballast,

Im fitting it to a 1991 Mazda Familia 1600 Carby. I know there is a governing body in New Zealand that takes care of these things (I think it is MSNZ). For what Im going to be doing (clubsport) its not required. However, I want to enter the Targa NZ and similar events later on which requires this feature. I would really appreciate your help cuz Im really confused about the whole situation.

Thanks

Thread Information