Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lotus :^(

Lotus :^(

http://jalopnik.com/5693756/lotus-wa...yline=true&s=i

What a sad and sorry state of affairs

More "thinking" has gone into the cars...WTF is that supposed to mean?!
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Quote Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
    http://jalopnik.com/5693756/lotus-wa...yline=true&s=i

What a sad and sorry state of affairs

More "thinking" has gone into the cars...WTF is that supposed to mean?!
    The impression I'm getting is that they're trying to turn Lotus into a more affordable alternative to a Ferrari or Lamborghini, so they attract more buyers. They're offering a similar sense of occasion with exterior and interior design/comforts, but yet less powerful and more attainable. In the years to come they'll probably offer track variants of all their cars too, much like Porsche, Lambo and Ferrari do now, but I fear the days of bare bones Lotuses built for only the track straight from the factory are most likely over. Its not like they'll be coming back anytime soon either, because the sad part is these newer more user-friendly vehicles will probably sell like hot cakes compared to the outgoing purpose built cars.

All the more reason to buy an Elise/Exige and hang on to it, because it will probably become a desirable piece of Lotus ancient history, and a symbol of what the company once stood for.

Quote Originally Posted by DesmoRob View Post
    Its not like they'll be coming back anytime soon either, because the sad part is these newer more user-friendly vehicles will probably sell like hot cakes compared to the outgoing purpose built cars.
    I am not sure about this. It seems to me that the market they are trying to enter is very competitive right now.

Lotus tried to move upmarket in the past and it ended up disastrously, did it not?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    I am not sure about this. It seems to me that the market they are trying to enter is very competitive right now.

Lotus tried to move upmarket in the past and it ended up disastrously, did it not?
    I might have missed that phase... when were they trying to do so?
    However, I think RJ is right... they WILL sell like hotcakes. It's sad to see another performance focused going mainstream, but this may be the way of the world .
    FIXIE EVOLVED INTO SMALL MOTORBIKE! Now driving a Simson KR51 <3

Dream ride: red 1971 Opel Commodore GS/E

Although its hard to say for sure what will happen based on assumptions, they've made a very strong impression with an entire new lineup of redesigned vehicles for their future. It could be the next Hyundai of the sports cars for all we know, but at the same time it could also be a massive flop. I wish I had a crystal ball so I could put everyone's minds at ease and/or save them from disappointment in the future, but I don't. Bottom line is that its unfortunate Lotus didn't just stick with what they were doing, because they were doing it so damn well.

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore GS/E View Post
    I might have missed that phase... when were they trying to do so?
    I don't really know too much about what happened. I heard others allude to it on UCP, and Sniff Petrol had a mock ad that joked about history repeating itself that someone posted.

Someone will probably be able to say what went on more precisely than me giving my sketchy version of what happened.

I don't really know too much about what happened. I heard others allude to it on UCP, and Sniff Petrol had a mock ad that joked about history repeating itself that someone posted.

Someone will probably be able to say what went on more precisely than me giving my sketchy version of what happened.
    The Esprit makes an "up market" impression. They sold a fair amount of those over the few decades that they were built. Didn't do too well at the end though IIRC. It was very outdated.

I would like to see more of a mix. I understand the need to move upmarket. I think the Esprit is a decent concept but I think the Elise should be kept as the pure, light, raw sports car in the linup. The current elise concept should be called an elan or something along those lines.

Look at ferrari, they have different cars for different types of people. They have the 458 italia which is awesome, but focused really on one thing. Then there is the California for the crowd that lotus seems to be chasing right now. Lotus should follow a similar route rather than moving "upmarket" with every single model. This way they can try to appeal both to the purists (their base) and to ferrari buyer.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Also, I think one of the things that gets me so passionately riled up about this is the arrogance, attitude, and lack of concern of the brass their (As seen by the guy on the video) (who kind of reminds me of a more annoying, french, version of Richard Hammond)

The whole "i dont care what the enthusiast thinks, what we are doing is better, I am right, you are wrong". It just really rubs me the wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
    The whole "i dont care what the enthusiast thinks, what we are doing is better, I am right, you are wrong". It just really rubs me the wrong way.
    you and me both. He made a poor impression.

Someone's just posted a gentler interview with him in the comments thread there taken just after the main post video.. I can't watch it at work, but it promises to clear a few things up.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

It's all about sales. The Elise is not appealing at all unless you are a car nut... ultra plain interior with a Toyota 4 and 180 horsies.... Maybe a beefier car with a better-looking / more detailed interior and power to make up for the weight gain can sell better.

Power NEVER makes up for weight.
    I'm off to strap Colin down to stop the spinning
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Let them do what they want to... there is one important law on the market: if you leave your niche, somebody else will take it. It may be cruel to see Lotus moving away from their ideals, but you can be very sure that somebody will take their old spot in the automotive world.
    FIXIE EVOLVED INTO SMALL MOTORBIKE! Now driving a Simson KR51 <3

Dream ride: red 1971 Opel Commodore GS/E

Here's more in this story from jaloponik.

http://jalopnik.com/5694750/lotus-ex...ove-of-fatties

Thread Information