Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First releases from Detroit including the all-new Ford GT ...

I want my turbo diesel to sound like that.

(HALP needed from engineers! But I think the clatter is from the direct injection system which makes it sound a bit like a diesel.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

It sounds a lot like a local Noble M12 with a twin turboed Ecotec V6; same growl, same clatter, same whistle. The turbos sound like most rear-mounted turbo setups to me -- unfortunately that also includes the horrendous STS kits.
    Turning money into memories.

I think it's funny how many people are complaining about the lack of V8, but I'd be curious to know the real opinion of the engineers involved. It would also be curious to see the output charts of this engine vs what they could do with the GT350's V8 with atmospheric induction.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    I think it's funny how many people are complaining about the lack of V8, but I'd be curious to know the real opinion of the engineers involved. It would also be curious to see the output charts of this engine vs what they could do with the GT350's V8 with atmospheric induction.
    I'm sure it'll be very powerful, but it's sort of like Ferrari making the Dino with a V6 instead of the normal V12. They wouldn't even badge the car as a Ferrari at the beginning.

When you have multiple good and readily available V8s around, I don't see why you couldn't just stick a V8 one in. Or at least make it an option. I think the first thing tuners are going to do with this car is to stick a V8 in it.

The first thing tuners will do is write a new tune, and push the V6 as far as they can. When they're done with that, they'll do turbo swaps, and push it even further.

While I was hoping for an Ecoboost Coyote, I'm happy that Ford chose a boosted V6 over the naturally aspirated, flat-plane V8 from the GT350, as I believe the power potential relative to effort involved is much better for the V6. Even now I'm seeing stock Ecoboost Mustangs put down 560 Nm/420lbs-ft of torque to the rear wheels with nothing but a tune.

For better or worse, Ford seems to be pushing the Ecoboost moniker in all models, and I don't think they're about to stop -- but I don't think the GT will suffer from that.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    I'm sure it'll be very powerful, but it's sort of like Ferrari making the Dino with a V6 instead of the normal V12. They wouldn't even badge the car as a Ferrari at the beginning.
    The GT has echoes of the XJ220; still a cool car, but it would have been so much cooler had they thrown the twelve/eight in it intead of the turbo six.

When you have multiple good and readily available V8s around, I don't see why you couldn't just stick a V8 one in. Or at least make it an option. I think the first thing tuners are going to do with this car is to stick a V8 in it.
    I certainly look forward to it. It will be interesting what the standing mile crowd do with the V6, though; I'm sure it'll mop up.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by Rasmus View Post
    The first thing tuners will do is write a new tune, and push the V6 as far as they can. When they're done with that, they'll do turbo swaps, and push it even further.

While I was hoping for an Ecoboost Coyote, I'm happy that Ford chose a boosted V6 over the naturally aspirated, flat-plane V8 from the GT350, as I believe the power potential relative to effort involved is much better for the V6. Even now I'm seeing stock Ecoboost Mustangs put down 560 Nm/420lbs-ft of torque to the rear wheels with nothing but a tune.

For better or worse, Ford seems to be pushing the Ecoboost moniker in all models, and I don't think they're about to stop -- but I don't think the GT will suffer from that.
    I agree with Rasmus here. I also think the XJ220 was better with the TTV6 rather than the V12 - certainly more powerful and more likely to hit 220mph. I'd love to see the engineers go nuts and do an Ecoboost Coyote, but apart from this (and maybe a Mustang GT500) there is just no possible application for it, so I can see why the marketeers/accountants/product planners/(race division? - this may homologate the engine for something...) would nix it.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Surely the six with forced induction will be much faster than a V8. But it most probably won't give the same aural pleasure...
    Visca Catalunya!

...but this aural shortcoming can be fixed by few lines of code and couple of speakers.

Fake engine noise is here to stay.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Surely the six with forced induction will be much faster than a V8. But it most probably won't give the same aural pleasure...
    The V8 never had a shot though, did it? Management and even engineering probably wanted to show the prowess of a smaller boosted engine.

In a magical enthusiast world, you'd have an even more hi-po NA V8 than the one in the GT350R, which is making 500 hp; could they have substantially got this mill up to the clearly targeted 600 hp?

Honestly for where things are going, and compared to the competition, 600 hp from a 3.5 L TT isn't exactly flooring. It sounds crazy, but this is a bit low vis-a-vis McLaren, Viper, etc.

Pim got it right above; this was the only choice to be made. It's alright. The car will trade on its looks and heritage.

Quote Originally Posted by Revo View Post
    ...but this aural shortcoming can be fixed by few lines of code and couple of speakers.

Introducing the Soundracer!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9XAC-BvUyo"]Shonky and the SoundRacer V8 - YouTube[/ame]

Even better, their new app!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz9HWHjUcyc"]SoundRacer engine sounds OBDII Android app - YouTube[/ame]

Indeed.

And we thought active exhausts were bad...
    Visca Catalunya!

Speaking of which, the new NSX may not even sound that great.

That's the thing, engine choice is as much a part of the nature of the car as anything else. Arguably, it may be the most important part. Think of how many cars where the engine makes the nature of the car- the McLaren F1, the early Porsche 911 Turbos. Yeah, you can make a 911 with a V8 that puts out as much power as current 911s do.

But would it really be a 911 anymore? (It's probably called a RUF something or another at that point.)

I understand it's getting more dire as electric cars become more prominent.

But someone's gotta speak up. I understand turbos are helpful for getting more power with more efficiency, but when was efficiency the first priority of a Ford GT? Seems slightly off kilter. Then again, might have been for packaging reasons.

I'm afraid naturally aspirated engines might be equivalent to driving up to a dealership and asking for a steam powered car in the late 1950s soon.
    Last edited by NSXType-R; 01-22-2015 at 02:42 PM.

Setting personal opinion aside -- there's a reason I only have V8s in the garages -- I think it makes perfect sense for Ford to push the V6. They've been racing their Daytona Prototype with the twin turbo, 3.5l V6 for a while now, so they should know a thing or two about making the design perform and last in a street car.

Also, marketing wise it makes perfect sense; you can fit a V6 in most all of their platforms, so having the halo car be V6 powered is going to make it easier to push the V6 sports-oriented models down the road -- no pun intended.

Then again, I don't think you're objecting to the rationale, and I do agree with you: the GT should have stuck with the V8, just like the Corvette has done.

Naturally aspirated or boosted.. I don't know which I like more. Boost is easier fun numbers, but naturally aspirated can make for a fun drive, too. Unfortunately, I believe naturally aspirated is going to go the way of the manuals in performance cars.

The GT is gonna be built in Markham, which is a suburb of TO. Woo! Multimatic will be involved I assume.

Thread Information