Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The world's coolest old lady!

The world's coolest old lady!

Meet Rachel and Chariot. Rachel is 89 years old and Chariot is a 1964 Mercury Comet Caliente. Rachel bought chariot new and has put over half a million miles on her (and has taken her up to 120 MPH!). I also love her stance on elderly drivers and personal protection!

Video of Romancing the Road by Growing Bolder, at growingbolder.com

Cheers,
    Madman of the People

good find, but unfortunately its been posted once already.

Once upon a time, I was at the side walk on a street, as i aproached the zebra crossing at a traffic light. Waiting to cross the traffic were two cars---a brown 1970s (I am not sure of the year) model Mercedes 500SL Coupe convertible driven by an elderly lady in her late 60s, and behind her car was a Geo Metro with two really big young men in it. It appeared the elderly lady was just out to have fun, having a nice saturday ride.

When the traffic light turned green, the elderly lady appeared to be inattentive and so failed to move expeditiously and immediately. So, the two guys in the Geo Metro, behind her, honked about three times, which i thought was rude, and which i thought was meant to humiliate the elderly lady by suggesting she was slow in relation to her age.

Lo and behold, and suddenly, this elderly lady gunned this car and even spun the wheels in response to the nasty attitude of the young men behind her. She took off fatser than Road runner (**beep** **beep**)

I continued to observe the specatacle that was unfolding, only to realize that the impatient and rude guys in the GEO Metro were still sitting still on the road, not moving, while the elderly lady had dusted them and was a good 50 - 100 meters away before the GEO Metro even made attempts to start its trip across the traffic light.

It was the funniest sight i had ever witnessed between the elderly and the young, when it came to muscle cars. I think the young men's jaws were agape when they saw how fast the elderly lady took off. I guess next time, they won't try to be funny around elderly folks who drive around muscle cars.

The end.

Moral of Story: Age has nothing to do with the love for speed and performance. Once a performance junkie, always a performance junkie. Beware of some elderly folks who want to race you---they can beat you because they have tons of experience.

Or she floored it because she was spooked.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    Or she floored it because she was spooked.
    She also realized she wasn't home watching tv sitting on a chair.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Quote Originally Posted by G35COUPE View Post
    Moral of Story: Age has nothing to do with the love for speed and performance. Once a performance junkie, always a performance junkie. Beware of some elderly folks who want to race you---they can beat you because they have tons of experience.
    Straight line race experience needed = trickling clutch for nice launch + fast shifting. Doesn't get much more complicated than that, which is why I don't think age will give them the upper hand either.

There's an old lady in potlatch (ID) that bought a 996 GT3 and plans to track it. She's raced 4 other porches in her day during owners club events and the like, and has some interesting stories. I'd actually have to nominate her as being faster than most of you lot, and pretty fricken cool.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.
    Becuase old people rock. I love old people!
    Buddy: 1998-2009
    Mah boi, UCP is what all true warriors strive for!
    PINGAS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cargirl1990 View Post
    Becuase old people rock. I love old people!
    Usually they just rock back and forth in a chair, though.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.
    Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    Usually they just rock back and forth in a chair, though.
    How corny.
    Buddy: 1998-2009
    Mah boi, UCP is what all true warriors strive for!
    PINGAS!!!!

For sheer guts Rose Eaton takes some beating. She reached her 100th a few weeks back and only gave up driving her XK150 DHC at 97 when she found the steering a bit heavy. At 96 she did a European tour in the car too. Not far behind we have Norman Dewis who still can handle any racing Jaguar with ease, and that at 89 years. He is still very quick.

Quote Originally Posted by lowdrag View Post
    For sheer guts Rose Eaton takes some beating. She reached her 100th a few weeks back and only gave up driving her XK150 DHC at 97 when she found the steering a bit heavy. At 96 she did a European tour in the car too. Not far behind we have Norman Dewis who still can handle any racing Jaguar with ease, and that at 89 years. He is still very quick.
    Jaguar should gift her an XKR Convertible, so she can continue driving.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

what about this concept of lifetime guarantee, is that still around? She seems to have benefited a lot from it..
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

The young shall grow.

Great video, and great lady. I hope I've still got my 1964 Mercury (Monterey) when I'm her age!
    http://www.MercuryStuff.com- Classic Mercury, Ford, Lincoln and Edsel Info
    http://www.EnfoStuff.com - A site for North American English and European Ford Owners

Thread Information