Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Volkswagen Station Wagons -- Best of 1960s!

Quote Originally Posted by NorTex View Post
    Nice! Back in the late 70's and early '80s I had an Uncle (by marriage) who built racing Hondas in Austin,Texas. I couldn't believe how fast he made them! My entire family ended up with Hondas as well, all Accords and Civics. And we had the license plates of "Ichban," "GoBan" "Yoban" etc!

I really miss my Mom's '79 Accord (hatchback). Peppy car and fun to ride in. I just wish I had the pictures to scan and upload here. I'd have to visit Momma's house and find 'em!
    My father is a Honda mechanic, and our family was exclusively a Honda family for about 20 years, until my dad got a Subaru Forester. Plainly because Honda doesn't make a wagon we wanted. We were primarily looking for Legacy wagons, but the Forester was being offered for such a nice price that we bought it.

On a side note, I love how many tangents this thread has gone to.

Hondas we've owned or still own.

1979 Civic wagon (we threw that out)
    1980 Honda Accord hatchback (given to my uncle, he hit a deer in it)
    1983 Honda Accord (that we still own)
    1989 Acura Integra 4 door hatchback (we threw that out too)
    1995 Acura TL (still own, and my dad just resprayed it)

My extended family owns Hondas too.

1994 Acura Legend (uncle's car, still driven)
    1982 Accord sedan (threw that out ages ago, uncle's car)
    1987 Civic 4 door hatchback (gone)
    1989 Civic Si hatchback (my uncle hydroplaned it and threw it out)
    Integra GSi- my uncle owned 2 Integra GSis, both of which was stolen, both of which were red. The first one was a manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Well, stylish state cars are a recent phenomenon even in estate-loving Europe. !
    aw, there were some cool ones
    Uk espsecially always had estate versions of all the "standard" road cars for the travelling salesman !!
    They made excellent sleeper cars as they usually had a little better rear suspension and power
    Had an Avenger estate with all the Tiger mods for a while !!

Also a Saab 95 estate did come 4th in Monte Carlo rally !! ( The estate was used as it had a better gearbox homologated )

To the 1950s eye when this was designed it WAS stylish
    EDIT: Felt I shoudl add a few of the others I came across in my time I considered "neat" back then ....

dammit can't find pics of the Citroen DS estate in competition ... one that is beautiful from evey angle
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 11-13-2011 at 11:00 AM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Well there were invetably exceptions, but they were the rule. Mostly estates were practical boxes until the 90's...!

Of course there were the shooting breaks, but those were a different story altogether!
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Did you know that in Germany Limousine means saloon car? So that Accord Limousine was just a standard saloon, nothing to be afraid of!
    Wow! ....I remember reading a WW II book and how much the Germans of the time loved our Western films, being Europe is largely "over populated" and without a "frontier" as in comparison to the early West of America. It is also one reason why I also love Montana, Idaho and Alaska!
    "When travelling down the freeway, the first bug to hit a clean windshield will always land directly in front of the driver's face."

Speaking of Germans, my cousin is stationed in Germany. We need to settle it once and for all time. How do we pronounce "Porsche!"
    "When travelling down the freeway, the first bug to hit a clean windshield will always land directly in front of the driver's face."

I've added some pics Ferrer, as I remember it the ugly ones were the exception in the UK. Did you guys maybe not get to see many ? I'm aware that all the ones I'm thinking of came from British factories when we used to make cars

Sadly the RS2000 estate version of the Mk1 never got to production .... but the prototype is still around
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Well, I was thinking of these...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

yep, when you start out with ugly then adding more glass and high roof at rear isn't going to help

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    My father is a Honda mechanic, and our family was exclusively a Honda family for about 20 years, until my dad got a Subaru Forester. Plainly because Honda doesn't make a wagon we wanted. We were primarily looking for Legacy wagons, but the Forester was being offered for such a nice price that we bought it.
    What about the relatively new Crosstour? Is that next on the list?

Quote Originally Posted by NorTex View Post
    Speaking of Germans, my cousin is stationed in Germany. We need to settle it once and for all time. How do we pronounce "Porsche!"
    Poor-shh-a

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrafan427 View Post

Poor-shh-a
    As a kid I called it "Porshhhh" Dad always said it was a "Porsch-uh"....Interesting!

^^^^ When you're buying one the company doesn't care HOW you pronounce it

The american attempt to sound like German usually doesn't sound right either. .... too much time spent on the sch and the uh !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrafan427 View Post
    We both hate the Crosstour.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post

The american attempt to sound like German usually doesn't sound right either. .... too much time spent on the sch and the uh !!!
    I asked my cousin over Facebook and he said Porsh-uh is the correct pronunciation. His wife is German and said the same thing. Good to know!

^^^ one of the hottest debated topics in pronunciation
    As written you are tempted to say porsh and then add the uh.
    When the whole sche part should be ONE as short and de-emphasised as you can make it.
    So heard so many non-Germans say it with the latter sounds as long as the first

( and to be fair a few German drivers the opposite reminding us that languages have regional dialects and differing sounds thus making most of the pronunciation debate moot )

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post

Are you old enough to remember the tv sitcom "Threes Company?" The landlord Mr. Furley was a self-styled "ladies man," and there was an episode wherein he went on a date at a French restaurant, totally "fudging" his way by ordering "Es-Car-Got" instead of es-car-geaux! It was hilarious!

Thread Information