Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Laptop problems

Laptop problems

Hi guys,

I need your help a little ! My laptop has been running far from smooth lately, actually pretty damn poor !

It runs extremely slow and has trouble sometimes doing very small tasks. Games are impossible, watching youtube video's is even too hard a task to do without bigtime lagging. I shouldn't even try things like Matlab or Inventor..

I am suspecting failing RAM myself, but am not sure. Could this be the solution ? Because I cannot miss my laptop for a day because of school, I am hoping to fix it ASAP... I run a FujitsuSiemens Amilo A1655G. It ain't my first problem with it after the Motherboard caught fire, the case melted, the video card broke down and the DVD drive refused to eject. Expect the unexpected kind of failures..

Can you guys give me any tips on how to check that the RAM might be broken ? Or might it be something else ? Anything helpful is welcome !

Hmm... buy another laptop?

You'd think you would trashit after the fire and video card failure. So with a heavy heart I say dump dat sheit

Or you could check for spyware/malware.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    Hmm... buy another laptop?

You'd think you would trashit after the fire and video card failure. So with a heavy heart I say dump dat sheit

Or you could check for spyware/malware.

I think I've got agree on this one... It sounds like your laptop is really a pain in the ass and it will only go on and keeps you costing money. Perhaps you are better of getting a new one.
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

Get a new one...

fwiw: If it were ram, you'd be getting a blue screen, most likely... once it tries to read/write to a bad block of ram, it'll blue screen and puke some hex error at you....
    ...Utah! Get me two...

Basically I am screwed as I have no money for a new one. Luckily it has warranty for now, but if I can fix it relatively easy myself it would be best. We work a lot with it in the lessons so it'd really hamper me when I miss it a week.

Although I don't think spyware is the problem, i am now running Hitman Pro.

Sounds like a dying hard drive to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    Sounds like a dying hard drive to me.
    How can I test this ? It stores the files without a problem and never showed much problems to me.. I defragmented and cleaned it last week, with 60% free disk space...

edit: Hitman pro still running.. taking ages !

With you being drakkie almighty why don't you just manifest yourself a new one?

Seriously get a Dell. I've had no problems what so ever with mine.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    Can you guys give me any tips on how to check that the RAM might be broken ?
    There's programs for this, try Google.

If you're running Windows, you can check the event log to see if that brings out anything useful.

And last, have you already tried this: Software.openSUSE.org (I'd pick another distro myself though).

You can have my old one...
    If I can throw it as hard as I can at you...

It's a Fujitsu Siemens as well..

If it's still in warranty there is no debate.
    Get it back to the manufacturer and repaired/replaced - personally ask them to go for the latter by pointing out the stream of problems/faults you've had.

You haven't said how much RAM you think is installed and how much ram it reports. It's common for laptop memory cards not to be seated properly by repair/installation guys !! Might just be a loose card.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Yeah, if it caught fire once and other things have happened to it before what's the point of fixing it?

Just replace it under warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by twinspark View Post
    There's programs for this, try Google.

If you're running Windows, you can check the event log to see if that brings out anything useful.

And last, have you already tried this: Software.openSUSE.org (I'd pick another distro myself though).
    Thanks. I have allready tried Linux on this. I absolutely loved it however I could not get my Broadcom WLAN adapter to work with it, not even with ndiswrapper. Also some vital school programme's don't work on it. Otherwise i'd use it anyday !

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    If it's still in warranty there is no debate.
    Get it back to the manufacturer and repaired/replaced - personally ask them to go for the latter by pointing out the stream of problems/faults you've had.

You haven't said how much RAM you think is installed and how much ram it reports. It's common for laptop memory cards not to be seated properly by repair/installation guys !! Might just be a loose card.
    They advertise there should be 512MB and it reports 480, so that is 512 - video card = 480 mb. This means it is ok ???

Because I am really busy with projects now and about 14 hours a day behind it, i really cannot send it. End of octobre perhaps

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Yeah, if it caught fire once and other things have happened to it before what's the point of fixing it?

Just replace it under warranty.
    They refuse to replace it and said repairing was better every single time.

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    Thanks. I have allready tried Linux on this. I absolutely loved it however I could not get my Broadcom WLAN adapter to work with it, not even with ndiswrapper. Also some vital school programme's don't work on it. Otherwise i'd use it anyday !

Because I am really busy with projects now and about 14 hours a day behind it, i really cannot send it. End of octobre perhaps

They refuse to replace it and said repairing was better every single time.
    Then you really should call customer service and whine like crazy. Who the hell sells a laptop that spontaneously combusts?

Apparently Apple does.

(cue in burning macbook)
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Thread Information