Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why You Should Own A Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    I'm totally OK with 'Vettes, but I don't want one.
    Best description yet.

I would cross-shop it with a Rolls-Royce Wraith, but it doesn't come at the top of any of my lists...

Much prefer one of the pony cars.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Required creature comforts these days are highly overrated. If a car does not have tons of electronic gismos it is considered to be spartan.
    Exactly. Ditto "panel gaps" and perceived "build quality". How do such things manifest themselves in the enjoyment of driving?
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Quote Originally Posted by crisis View Post
    Exactly. Ditto "panel gaps" and perceived "build quality". How do such things manifest themselves in the enjoyment of driving?
    Well, 3 metre-wide panel gaps may be inconvenient in the rain.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Well, 3 metre-wide panel gaps may be inconvenient in the rain.
    Eh, a bit rain in the car never hurt you. Especially when you don't have all them electronic gizmos in there.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Required creature comforts these days are highly overrated. If a car does not have tons of electronic gismos it is considered to be spartan. My car has several buttons that I never touch, because it is related to a "menu", which is a thing I want to see in a restaurant. The car does have an oil temperature gauge though, which is far more important.

So if the Corvette's interior concentrates on the driving of a car, rather than making a lot of fuss about sound systems, navigational stuff or bluetooth things, than it would consider that to be great plus.
    So would you like to remove the electric starter and use a hand crank?

To be honest, I'm okay with not having electric windows and such, but after a while the customer's perception of what should be standard changes. 20 years or so ago, electric windows, air conditioning and heating was not standard equipment. Radio? That's a luxury too.

I can forgo sat nav and that, but it doesn't mean the market would be receptive of those changes.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    Eh, a bit rain in the car never hurt you. Especially when you don't have all them electronic gizmos in there.
    Imagine yourself suited up driving to the most important job interview ever, then the rain comes down, you get wet, lose the job opportunity, your wife cheats on you, lose all your friends, lose the house, your wife leaves you and the only possible exit is suicide. So really, tight panel gaps can be seen as antidote for suicide. How about that?

Don't worry, though, I'm still a fan of the Healey Romeo SpitMidged Superleggera Spider, but in the real world what you really want is somewhere comfortable, quiet, nicely air-conditioned to seat while you go to places and relax on the cruise control and the mega high fidelity Bose & Wilkins stereo.

If you can afford two (or more) cars it is OK to have something interesting that will never (ever) start and that has things like no power steering or, god forbid, a set of twin Webers while rely on a box for everyday driving, but if you can only afford one car you need a compromise.

(I am indeed getting fed up with the MX-5... )
    Visca Catalunya!

If you failed to get the job due to being a bit moist you probably wouldn't have gotten it anyway. Or if that were such an issue, you should have shown better planning and caught the bus or a cab.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    So would you like to remove the electric starter and use a hand crank?
    these are essentials to operate a car, having bluetooth or bose subwoofers are surplus to requirements, because they have nothing to do with the car, and are actually distracting you from the car (and its environment).
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

in the real world what you really want is somewhere comfortable, quiet, nicely air-conditioned to seat while you go to places and relax on the cruise control and the mega high fidelity Bose & Wilkins stereo.
    the last two items you could do without. but the rest i spot-on. (and no i am not fed up with my C5)
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

these are essentials to operate a car, having bluetooth or bose subwoofers are surplus to requirements, because they have nothing to do with the car, and are actually distracting you from the car (and its environment).
    I agree, but then you and I are not the average consumer. Features like that are standard for what sells the car now. Any less and it's unacceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    I agree, but then you and I are not the average consumer. Features like that are standard for what sells the car now. Any less and it's unacceptable.

Price is what sells the car.

I like a high fidelity sound system.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    I like a high fidelity sound system.
    me too, in the living room.

Oh come on; do you want to drive? This is the interior to be in:

It's got a steering wheel, a pair of levers and some pedals. If you don't die of hypothermia or get a bird in the face it's hard to find anything more focused.

In the real world though, this is, quite simply, preposterous.

Now everyone around here knows that I hate the new Mercedes-Benz A-Class. Clearly, there's a lot not to like: it doesn't handle properly, it doesn't ride properly, the steering is impossible, the engine is too unrefined and/or slow (depending on model) and on top of all it costs as much as the sky.

However.

If we only consider the interior and forget about everything else, it is quite a nice place to be. The materials and surfaces are nice to touch, everything works perfectly, and the seats hug you. Also bluetooth comes in handy when someone calls you and you need to answer or you need to call someone, and cruise control is the single best automotive invention ever especially in speed camera-laden roads. The superb stereo allows you to relax and silence is the coronation of the whole experience.

Yes, all of the ICE nonsense is indeed unfathomable but in essence it is what you want in an interior.

I must be getting really, properly, old now.

Oh god.

(Again)
    Visca Catalunya!

Oh come on; do you want to drive? This is the interior to be in:

It's got a steering wheel, a pair of levers and some pedals. If you don't die of hypothermia or get a bird in the face it's hard to find anything more focused.

In the real world though, this is, quite simply, preposterous.

Now everyone around here knows that I hate the new Mercedes-Benz A-Class. Clearly, there's a lot not to like: it doesn't handle properly, it doesn't ride properly, the steering is impossible, the engine is too unrefined and/or slow (depending on model) and on top of all it costs as much as the sky.

However.

If we only consider the interior and forget about everything else, it is quite a nice place to be. The materials and surfaces are nice to touch, everything works perfectly, and the seats hug you. Also bluetooth comes in handy when someone calls you and you need to answer or you need to call someone, and cruise control is the single best automotive invention ever especially in speed camera-laden roads. The superb stereo allows you to relax and silence is the coronation of the whole experience.

Yes, all of the ICE nonsense is indeed unfathomable but in essence it is what you want in an interior.

I must be getting really, properly, old now.

Oh god.

(Again)

you make me feel young, not having the slightest need to "touch the interior" or to use a bluetooth type of equipment. I have my radio control on a lever at the wheel, never use it, only the on-of button and the knob to turn up the volume.
    And yes the interior you are showing, is how things should be. Or with a dash like this.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information