Senna died eighteen years ago today at Imola. I saw this elsewhere today and I also saw that Sebastien Loeb had just won his 70th Rally in Argentine. Both of these things got me thinking about racing, which I guess I don't do as much as I used to.
So, to get the juices flowing again, I though I'd make a thread for racing similar to the "State of the Car" thread I made about the automotive industry a while back.

Back to Loeb: Are we in the midst of, or just emerging from, an era of "super-champions" in racing?
Admittedly, Schumacher is on a downward swing and Rossi seems caught in a rut as well, but two of the winningest drivers in their respective arenas currently race (I think Agostini pips Rossi on the bike front, but not by much).
So here's my question: What circumstances have caused/allowed this to happen, and are we still on the leading edge of this, with future drivers to rack up even more improbable career statistics, or the trailing edge with the brightness of stars like Schumacher and Rossi beginning to diminish (though Loeb shows no sign of stopping...)?