Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soviet Union's 1938 ZIS 101A Sport

Soviet Union's 1938 ZIS 101A Sport

1938 ZIS 101A Sport was a one-off sportcar made by ZIS Russian car manufacturer, Moscow. The construction of this car was initiated by the engineers of ZIS development shop, Anatoly Pukhalin, Vladimir Kremenetsky and Nikolay Pulmanov with the design created by Valentin Rostkov. It was devoted to the Komsomol 20th anniversary and approved personally by Stalin. However it somehow turned out to be useless and soon after the celebration it was forgotten. It’s destiny remains unknown and the car is still the subject to enthusiast’s pursuit. Luckily, some blueprints and photos were saved. That gave on opportunity for a group of Russian car fans to rebuild 101 A Sport, to make an absolutely original copy of it.
    Here are some characteristics of the car:
    Engine: 8-cylinder 6-litre carburetor engine, 141 bhp\3300 rpm, 162 km\h
    Transmission: manual gearbox, rear wheel drive.
    Suspension: axle suspension, bow springs.
    Brakes: drum brakes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by fahrenheit19; 10-03-2012 at 10:54 AM.

I've found some peculiar technical details if you're interested)

It's cool to see a purely-Soviet car without the usual Fiat or Packard influences!
    They are a genre of cars I know little about and I, for one, would love to hear any additional information that you have.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    It's cool to see a purely-Soviet car without the usual Fiat or Packard influences!
    They are a genre of cars I know little about and I, for one, would love to hear any additional information that you have.
    Sure! So, here you are.
    First of all, it was the first soviet car with a hypoid final drive in a rear axle. That was a serious problem, as such rear axle construction required complicated adaptation to the Gleason machine tool station which was used at ZIS factory. The car was built on the chassis of 1936 Packard–inspired ZIS 101 limo. Actually, the engine was also borrowed from this model. But it was taken through some serious modifications: aluminum cylinder head (instead of cast-iron one on ZIS 101) with extended valve flow sections, custom–made inlet manifold, custom-made carburetor, custom-made camshaft that provided longer valve timing, custom-made forged pistons and con rods. More than that, it was the first gasoline engine (in USSR at least) with bronze-made crankshaft main bearing shells. Lastly, the gearbox had an overdrive gear and conical synchronizers.
    Last edited by fahrenheit19; 10-02-2012 at 06:45 AM.

Tell me if the terminology is not quite clear.

Quote Originally Posted by fahrenheit19 View Post
    very clear, thanks.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thank you!
    Nope, you were quite clear. I had to look up what a hypoid was, but now I think I understand it.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Thank you!

Nope, you were quite clear. I had to look up what a hypoid was, but now I think I understand it.
    You are welcome!

A just finished replica rolled out this weekend. I've shot it at the XX Oldtimer Gallery in Moscow no earlier than this Saturday. I have more pics, but they're still on my camera.

And here's a 2008 thread (): ZIS 101 A Sport (1939)

Fahrenheit19, you seem to be right about the car being built in 1938, by the way, as opposed to what I wrote back then.

P.S. A replica of ZIS 112/1 is now promised to see the light, maybe even next spring on a XXI Oldtimer Gallery.
    Attached Images Attached Images

great report, fahrenheit19. Thanks for sharing!

Any idea why they used bronze for the crankshaft main bearing shells?

Quote Originally Posted by faksta View Post
    A just finished replica rolled out this weekend. I've shot it at the XX Oldtimer Gallery in Moscow no earlier than this Saturday. I have more pics, but they're still on my camera.

And here's a 2008 thread (): ZIS 101 A Sport (1939)

Fahrenheit19, you seem to be right about the car being built in 1938, by the way, as opposed to what I wrote back then.

P.S. A replica of ZIS 112/1 is now promised to see the light, maybe even next spring on a XXI Oldtimer Gallery.
    Oh, I didn't see this thread, sorry Thanks for new replica photos! Sadly, I didn't have a chance to attend Oldtimer Gallery this time. And speaking on the year of production, by the way. As far as I know, they started as early as in 1937. The thing is, they did it secretly, even the administration of the factory didn't know anything till 1938, when the car was finished. And the official presentation took place a year later.
    P.S. Any idea where the replica is kept now?

Quote Originally Posted by demonrunning07 View Post
    great report, fahrenheit19. Thanks for sharing!

Any idea why they used bronze for the crankshaft main bearing shells?
    YUou are always welcome!
    You know, honestly, I'm not an expert. The only thing I know is that bronze crankshaft main bearing shells were thin-shell ones, much thinner than the original ones. More than that, the same technology was used in diesel locomotive engines and provided decent antifriction properties. Maybe that's the answer.

Oh, I didn't see this thread, sorry Thanks for new replica photos! Sadly, I didn't have a chance to attend Oldtimer Gallery this time. And speaking on the year of production, by the way. As far as I know, they started as early as in 1937. The thing is, they did it secretly, even the administration of the factory didn't know anything till 1938, when the car was finished. And the official presentation took place a year later.
    P.S. Any idea where the replica is kept now?
    I went there only to see the replica, as the show has steadily been getting all the same every year. Not as bad as Autoexotica, but still there was barely anything new each time.

Since it has been built to celebrate 20 years of VLKSM, guess it should have been finished in 1938 - that would be 20 years exactly. At the same time, a newspaper note from October 17, 1938 reads 'prepared a project of a sportscar' and 'will be capable of 170 km/h', that is the car apparently was not built back then yet.

That sounds like a good explanation to me.

I must be even less of an expert because I had not heard of bronze being used in an internal combustion engine.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by faksta View Post
    I went there only to see the replica, as the show has steadily been getting all the same every year. Not as bad as Autoexotica, but still there was barely anything new each time.

Since it has been built to celebrate 20 years of VLKSM, guess it should have been finished in 1938 - that would be 20 years exactly. At the same time, a newspaper note from October 17, 1938 reads 'prepared a project of a sportscar' and 'will be capable of 170 km/h', that is the car apparently was not built back then yet.
    I absolutely agree with you about Autoexotica, faksta. Nothing to see there at all.
    All the sources that I've found state 1938 as a year of production. At least it was 1938 when the car was included into the so-called "VLKSM 20th anniversary presents list". The work could go on till 1939, when the official presentation took place.

Thread Information