Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: Pushrod or OHC

Quote Originally Posted by togos452 View Post
    Also, BMW's M5 Product Information Guide says that the M5's 5.0 liter 500 hp (SAE net) V-10 weighs 240 kg/529 lbs.
    you can take quoted engine weights with a pinch of salt

you dont know whether the intake manifold is included, or the exhaust headers, or the flywheel, alternator/alternator pulleys ect ect

apparently Ferrari's tipo v12 for the Enzo only weighs 225 kg - <~ yeah right! . BMW's S70 is a 250 kg unit with only intake side VVT

the BMW 5.0 V8 is a porker like the v10. idk about the V10, but the V8 has a heavy oil pressure VVT system

the 1UZ from toyota is supposed to be around 190 kg, as is the new Coyote from Ford (not 180 as Ford claims)

afaik, LS1's are around 220 kg, with the LS7 around 10+ kg heavier again

id like to know what Ferraris new 4.5 weighs as well as Maccas new 3.8

Very right to be careful when quoting weights. I've seen a number of LSx weights that are all believable. The lightest was 390lb for a crate motor just out of the box with exhaust manifolds but no flywheel or flex plate. Given the weight of the flywheel it's a big deal if the manufactures includes it in the stated weight. The LS7 is supposed to weigh more thanks to the dry sump oil system. From what I've seen GM is good about quoting a rather complete weight while other manufactures, especially when they are using the info for marketing, can be optimistic. For example on one of the Corvette product pages GM correctly quoted the LS1 weights both in manual and auto transmission trims. The auto version was significantly lighter thanks to the weight difference between a flex plate and flywheel. Also, the quoted weight I think included the alternator and possibly power steering pump.

I take Toyota's claims with a larger grain of salt. For example, Toyota claims a very low drag number for the Prius. GM tested a Prius and found the drag numbers to be higher than that of the Volt and a good bit higher than Toyota's claims. GM speculated that Toyota might have gamed the test to produce a really impressive number for marketing but one that isn't reflective of what the car is likely to deliver in real life. So even though Toyota claims the Prius is more aerodynamic GM would disagree. As backing evidence they mentioned that Chrysler's internal testing got basically the same test results as GM. As further evidence consider that wheel and tire size makes a notable difference in drag numbers. Even going from 195 to 205 tires should show up on a test. Well Toyota claims the same drag CoD for all versions of the Prius including across different tire sizes. Even if you don't believe GM's numbers, no change in drag with a change in tire size is a red flag.

I once saw a Prius with phat rims.. seemed to miss the point somewhat.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by culver View Post
    I take Toyota's claims with a larger grain of salt.
    well 190 is around what we got here when we measured it

the hilux we stuffed it into actually rode higher on the springs after we dropped it in

the engine that got replaced is the 3.0L cast iron block/head diesel 4 cylinder. which it seems was heavier!

also : the 1UZ was toyotas first all alloy engine

Quote Originally Posted by Badsight View Post
    well 190 is around what we got here when we measured it

the hilux we stuffed it into actually rode higher on the springs after we dropped it in

the engine that got replaced is the 3.0L cast iron block/head diesel 4 cylinder. which it seems was heavier!

also : the 1UZ was toyotas first all alloy engine
    What all was on the engine at the time? Like I said, I've seen GM LSx motor weighed out of the crate at under 180kg with header but no flywheel/flex plate (not sure if the alternator was in that weight). At the same time GM's catalog weight for the LS1 (heavier than some later LSx motors) as ~480lb (218kg) with flywheel.

alternator

intake manifold

flywheel

spark distro

we pulled it out of the soarer ourselves. had everything except the cast exhaust manifold plate/headers

Thread Information