Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: why havnt hot hatches gone rwd ??

Isn't the Astra VXR (240ps) faster around the Ring than the RWD 130i M (265hp) package?

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KM2
    Isn't the Astra VXR (240ps) faster around the Ring than the RWD 130i M (265hp) package?
    wouldn't suprise me, they wouldnt put a proper diff on the 1, so in reality it doesnt handle that fast

Quote Originally Posted by TVR IS KING
    Its not good because its a BMW, its expensive because its a BMW. They make luxury cars, you cant expect a cheap RWD sports hatch from BMW...cheapness isnt really their forte.

Yes it's expensive yes its a BMW, but does that make it worth the money you would pay for it, i think not. I also wouldn't class the whole 1 series range as sport hatches just the 130i. I wouldn't expect them to be cheap but if your paying a dump load of money for it you would want it to be better than the cheaper competition.
    Barnum's Law - You’ll never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public

The dyslexic version of Cyco

Civil disobedience is still disobedience

Well it is probably more luxurious than the competition. It isnt a cheap sports model, it is the flagship model. A BMW flagship isnt just sports, its luxury as well.
    Its allowed to cost more...
    All about the t-tops

Quote Originally Posted by TVR IS KING
    Well it is probably more luxurious than the competition. It isnt a cheap sports model, it is the flagship model. A BMW flagship isnt just sports, its luxury as well.
    Its allowed to cost more...
    how is the 1 series considered bmw's flagship model ??

If you read closer he was talking about the 130iM in relation to the 1 series...
    I am the Stig

Indeed I was. Its the flagship 1er, not the flagship BMW. You almost deserve a good hard flaming :P
    All about the t-tops

woops, my bad

FWD is perfectly adequate in a hatch with modern LSDs and well sorted suspension and steering.
    So my guess is that a switch to RWD would be a marketing idea more than anything performance oriented.

suspension and steering has nothing with what im talking about, fwd WON'T work once you pass a certain threshold (power/torque wise), small wheelbase, clever suspension will only work up to a certain point

Its mainly cos hot hatches are driven by young tossers who dont know how to drive - if they were rear wheel drive they'd get binned even more than they do.
    Its generally not until they progress to their first 3-series BMW that most of us learn car control, by which time, most of us are mid-20s and little less stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by elway7uk
    Its mainly cos hot hatches are driven by young tossers who dont know how to drive - if they were rear wheel drive they'd get binned even more than they do.
    Its generally not until they progress to their first 3-series BMW that most of us learn car control, by which time, most of us are mid-20s and little less stupid.
    Except that the majority of people in the UK driving 3-Series BMWs are tossers that don't care about anyone else on the road and don't know (or care) how to drive at all!

As Jimmy Carr said "Definition of a tosser-Man driving a BMW whilst talking on a mobile phone!"
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

Front(Wrong) weel drive

I bought a opel kadett 1200s from 1976 when I was 18 witch i stil have.
    Later I bought a opel comandore 2,5s from 1984 witch i crash twice, the last time in 140kmh
    Then a Izusu combo from 1994 RWD witch I could not get trough the EU regulated car testing.
    Then I bought myself a chrysler stratus from 2000. My good what a disapointment, drafting trough the corners on slipery ice in wintertime was something I was not able to do annymore And even it was 200kg lighter ans had 40hp more than the izusu I was not able to cover the same distance at a tight conering road at a shorter time.
    I hate front weel drive and think it's a steep back in car development.
    I live now in Taiwan where rear weel drive is hard to find so I got to chose betwen beetle(to litle power and modifications are uligal here) jaguar(to heavy) honda s2000(to litle for to mutch money) or a old nissan(my best option and im looking for one)

FWDs aren't that bad. There seems to be a badge of honor that comes with owning a RWD car, the only ones most people can buy are old Nissans from the 80s and 90s which, while abit fast, aren't awe inspiring.

Quote Originally Posted by h00t_h00t
    FWDs aren't that bad. There seems to be a badge of honor that comes with owning a RWD car, the only ones most people can buy are old Nissans from the 80s and 90s which, while abit fast, aren't awe inspiring.
    Still available in the market:

The Volga RWD
    The Lada RWD

so you can still buy cheapos if you want to feel the thrill of power oversteer....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thread Information