View Poll Results: 1954-1957 Mercedes-Benz 300SL Gullwing Coupe vs ferrari 250 gto

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mercedes-Benz 300SL Gullwing Coupe

8 40.00%
  • ferrari 250 gto

12 60.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mercedes-Benz 300 SL gullwing coupevs ferrari 250 gto

I love both cars this one is hard I'm not voting on this one..
    Some Rulers Are Immortalized In Marble Others,
    In Carbon Fiber.{Hard Core Audi Fan}Ich Fahr Omnibus!
    """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Uncomparable cars. GTO is in another league with 300bhp against 240 and heavier conception of the SL. Compare the SLR instead. That one has real guts.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

If I wanted one of these cars, i'd have neither.

I'd have the mercedes 300 SLR, same body style, except it a roadster. it has all the running gear of mercedes W196 F1 car. They built it as a rally car.

I'd much rather have an SLR than an SLS, but over a GTO? Doubtful.
    "Don't think your time on bad things
    Just float your little mind around"
    Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum9987 View Post
    If I wanted one of these cars, i'd have neither.

I'd have the mercedes 300 SLR, same body style, except it a roadster. it has all the running gear of mercedes W196 F1 car. They built it as a rally car.

I'd much rather have an SLR than an SLS, but over a GTO? Doubtful.
    minus two cylinders and a few other goodies....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    minus two cylinders and a few other goodies....
    No, I'm pretty sure the 300 SLR had the same I8 as the W196...

yes, yes it did.

1955 Mercedes-Benz 300 SLR Roadster - Images, Specifications and Information
    Jimi Hendrix

No, I'm pretty sure the 300 SLR had the same I8 as the W196...

yes, yes it did.

1955 Mercedes-Benz 300 SLR Roadster - Images, Specifications and Information
    sorry, you were right, I had the normal 300 SL in mind. (the car mentioned in the comparison).
    Perhaps we should do a 300SLR-412S comparison then....
    1958 Ferrari 412 S Scaglietti Spyder - Images, Specifications and Information
    Last edited by henk4; 10-16-2010 at 08:40 PM.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

sorry, you were right, I had the normal 300 SL in mind. (the car mentioned in the comparison).
    Perhaps we should do a 300SLR-412S comparison then....
    1958 Ferrari 412 S Scaglietti Spyder - Images, Specifications and Information
    Yes, that would be a more appropriate comparison. But I would still have the SLR. I don't think the 412 Scag could do a record breaking/holding Mille Miglia run though....
    Jimi Hendrix

Yes, that would be a more appropriate comparison. But I would still have the SLR. I don't think the 412 Scag could do a record breaking/holding Mille Miglia run though....
    we will never know, in 1956 it rained heavily, and in 1957 a lesser Ferrari was only 20 minutes slower than Moss.

we will never know, in 1956 it rained heavily, and in 1957 a lesser Ferrari was only 20 minutes slower than Moss.
    You are right, we will never know. But to Ferrari's credit, Moss had a great and innovative navigator to help him along as well.

And it also says that he Averaged 96MPH on the public roads. That takes balls. Moss had serious balls.
    Jimi Hendrix

You are right, we will never know. But to Ferrari's credit, Moss had a great and innovative navigator to help him along as well.

And it also says that he Averaged 96MPH on the public roads. That takes balls. Moss had serious balls.
    Moss has....

Moss has....
    True dat.
    Jimi Hendrix

Fangio drove alone and wasn't far behind ... 'cohones'?

Hi

Hi...

I saw this car in the exhibition and it was looking great. 300 SL is a very good racing car and fast with quick acceleration and pick-up. I always tried to have a test drive of ti but every time I failed. It has a powerful engine and body shape is perfect for racing and the aerodynamics of this car gives it the super fast speed and ride. I really impressed by the topic you discussed over here and also a fabulous post to discuss.

Thanks...

I hitched a ride with John Apen in his 57 TdeF in the summer of 94 or 95 when he drove across country to the Concours in California from his home in Atlanta. I had supplied him with a jack to replace a blown tire and he drove my Nissan Pickup to Colby ks while his son drove me on the best ride ever. the sound of that Columbo 12 cyl is pure music. BUT last summer I found 9 that is nine gull wings parked in the Doubletree parking lot in Grand Junction CO. Part of the Colorado Grand 1000 mile tour across Colorado. Also along was the cover car from Auto week that summer the lemans winning testa rosa in full race numbered paint. I love my job as a traveling salesman for that reason.

I find it hard to compare the two because although I have owned 4 or 5 Gullwings and restored 20 plus more I have never even seen a real GTO. I think from a standpoint a 275GTB4 is a closer peer to a 300SL. That being said I prefer the Gullwing even over the 300SL roadster. I have had in my collection a genuine Hirth crankshaft from a Mercedes w196.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information