Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lotus Europa

Just briefly on topic (sorry guys ) the Europa for me is a fascinating car. I still think it's pretty ugly, but an awesome concept (as pretty much all Chapman's projects were). I seriously considered getting one, but opted for the much prettier Elan in the end. I think they're like Marmite - with the whole love/hate thing.

Cheers,

G

Ps - My first post!
    "Work is the curse of the drinking classes."
    Oscar Wilde

Classic Motoring Blog -
    http://classicmotoring.blogspot.com/

so your ride is a Elan?
    sounds great
    any pics?

Sure. See attached.

It's the +2S, so same chassis/handling as the original Elan, but heavier with extra seats and trim. Still it has the 130bhp "big valve" engine which makes it quicker than the earlier Elan coupés, though not as quick as the later Sprint models also with the "big valve" engine but also the lighter coupé body.

G
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Oscar Wilde

Classic Motoring Blog -

nice car , although I don't think that the two rear places could support children older than 10 years

Quote Originally Posted by greg.harvey
    Sure. See attached.

It's the +2S, so same chassis/handling as the original Elan, but heavier with extra seats and trim. Still it has the 130bhp "big valve" engine which makes it quicker than the earlier Elan coupés, though not as quick as the later Sprint models also with the "big valve" engine but also the lighter coupé body.

G
    Hi, and welcome to UCP. I think you have what it mostly considered to be a "sleeper" , as everybody would like to go for the two seater. Do you use as a daily driver or just for the weekend. (The two rear seats should be good enough for a nice amount of shopping )
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    I think you have what it mostly considered to be a "sleeper" , as everybody would like to go for the two seater. Do you use as a daily driver or just for the weekend. (The two rear seats should be good enough for a nice amount of shopping )
    Weekends only. I live on the edge of London so I don't really need a daily car. I too was really after the 2 seater (and you can get them on the budget I had) but it was a case of getting an immaculate +2 or a good coupé. I went for immaculate +2 and I have to say now I wouldn't dream of replacing it. The styling is quite different (as I'm sure you're aware) and I genuinely believe the +2 is a prettier car, but the purist in me still wants a coupé (as well as, of course) - it was the original!

Shopping is about the only thing the back seats are good for! However, believe it or not I have had 4 adults in the car. As if in protest, it burst a hose on the way home. Got back without cooking the head gasket though.

G
    Oscar Wilde

Classic Motoring Blog -

Hi and welcome to UCP! Its nice to see another member from Essex! You own a very nice Elan. My favorite Elan was owned by a friend of my Dads, it had slightly flared arches, it was sublime.
    Just call me Tom

Please visit www.tomranson.com and make me feel loved.

Hi, and thanks! Nice Elan. I looked a yellow one like that. The vendor was a crook though. His garage was the place Lotus' go to die and a ruder man I'm yet to meet. Oh well.

Anyway, I prefer them with the fixed roof like that, which is handy because they're cheaper!
    Oscar Wilde

Classic Motoring Blog -

Yes it was, he has sold it now. He has bought a Hainsworth (one of a kind single seater). Here are a few more photos of the Elan and the Libra, one of the Hainsworth (from my phone) and one of my car with the Libra. I'm always one for a bit of showing off.
    Just call me Tom

Hehe ... nice - you building a Super 7 style kit there?
    What's your donor? I used to own a DOHC 2.0 Sierra. I sold it as an MoT scrapper for £100 then discovered 6 months later it was the perfect donor car for a 7 kit. D'oh!!!
    Oscar Wilde

Classic Motoring Blog -

Quote Originally Posted by greg.harvey
    Hehe ... nice - you building a Super 7 style kit there?
    What's your donor? I used to own a DOHC 2.0 Sierra. I sold it as an MoT scrapper for £100 then discovered 6 months later it was the perfect donor car for a 7 kit. D'oh!!!
    Well done. It is indeed a Seven rep. The donor is a Sierra, however the engine its using is a 1.1 from a Fiesta or something. Once i have built up a bit of no-claims i can then afford to drop a Duratec, or (as Matra pointed out) a Raw power Toyota lump, since i can get more power cheaper.
    Just call me Tom

Sorry for breaking the flow of the thread but i havent been on for a while and i had to put in my bit for the Europa. I knew someone years ago in Bridgend who owned one, a Renault engined yellow car with wolfrace slots and I'm pretty sure the number plate was TAD 47.
    He would take it out of the garage on weekends for a polish and I would always make a point of walking past so I could sit in it and drool.
    What a fantastic looking car, the new car doesnt do the original any justice imho, I believe the Esprit was the Europa's successor, the original Esprit was another magnificent looker.
    HEY SMURF, HEY SMURF, HEY SMURF PUT THAT BOOM IN IT!!!

I always thought that the first Elise was supposed to be a Europa successor. Hence the Europa inspired front end styling and the mid engine...

Is there an obvious difference between the Elise and the Europa that I'm missing?

Quote Originally Posted by VtecMini
    I always thought that the first Elise was supposed to be a Europa successor. Hence the Europa inspired front end styling and the mid engine...

Is there an obvious difference between the Elise and the Europa that I'm missing?
    chassis, engine layout, drivetrain, suspension configuration, shape
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Thread Information