Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: StarCraft 2

Yeah its I think a heat issue, but I had the fan set manual to 100% and still does squat...I have a few other things to try tonight, its annoying though since I've never been the one with problem on my computer to run games...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

StarCraft 2

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac
    Yeah its I think a heat issue, but I had the fan set manual to 100% and still does squat...I have a few other things to try tonight, its annoying though since I've never been the one with problem on my computer to run games...
    I had a graphics issue as well although not as big a problem as yours. They just wanted me to upgrade to ATI's newest catalyst control center/driver for 'optimal performance'
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Added the variable.txt fix to limit frame rate, also ran in Vsync mode, and now it seems I can run without crashing, though haven't played for a long time yet(20 min is longer than any of my previous time without crashing though). Now I can run settings at high at native monitor res also.
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    I had a graphics issue as well although not as big a problem as yours. They just wanted me to upgrade to ATI's newest catalyst control center/driver for 'optimal performance'
    Just a heads up, I did that too. To stop all the crashing (in other games) I disabled Catalyst AI in the CCC.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

I saw this played at my buddies - I have a PC that may or may not be able to run this. Shockingly, I consider myself a nerd, but have very little interest in building myself a computer.

Some of my friends are really into that shit (we are all nerds) and I always say to them: remember the good old days when people used to build/mod their cars? Now people do that to their computers.

Bleh.

Anyhoo, SC2 unsurprisingly seems to be basically the exact same thing as SC1. I was unimpressed with the graphics, which were toony (I guess that's sorta SC/Blizzard style), the play seemed fine... It all reminded me of 10 years ago when I used to play SC. I guess you go with what works though, and I hear it is rated highly.

It's definately a refined and updated Starcraft experience, rather than a more modern RTS that draws on things from Dawn of War 2 or such. No cover mechanics for example. It's still a bit deeper than Starcraft 1, and the single player places much more emphasis on story and character development. Basically, it's exactly what the majority of Starcraft fans wanted.. updates and refinement with no radical departures from the norm.

they'd have been crucified if they took it in a different direction..
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

So far, with what little amount of crash-free play time I got out of the singleplayer, it feels very much like the original SC with a spiffy inbetween mission 3D interface consists of character interaction. The first few missions feels an awful lot like some of the mission in the original, albeit prettier looking(now that I can run it somewhat at a reasonable setting). Feels all very late 90s after my last stint in RTS with games like Ground Control and its more polished successor, World in Conflict. Still fun, but since I am not that big of an online player, I'll probably never enjoy it as much as I could have. And the annoying crashes is well, annoying...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

I finally got my copy! Collectors edition is pretty cool...

That's my life gone for a while.
    How can men use sex to get what they want?
    Sex is what they want. - Frasier

Quote Originally Posted by derekthetree View Post
    I finally got my copy! Collectors edition is pretty cool...

That's my life gone for a while.
    Well it was fun while it lasted...

Was having issues with graphics corruptions then finally got BSOD.

Card looks pretty dead now... no longer recognised by windows and lots of lines in POST screens

Any new card recommendations?
    How can men use sex to get what they want?
    Sex is what they want. - Frasier

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    I saw this played at my buddies - I have a PC that may or may not be able to run this. Shockingly, I consider myself a nerd, but have very little interest in building myself a computer.

Some of my friends are really into that shit (we are all nerds) and I always say to them: remember the good old days when people used to build/mod their cars? Now people do that to their computers.

Bleh.

Anyhoo, SC2 unsurprisingly seems to be basically the exact same thing as SC1. I was unimpressed with the graphics, which were toony (I guess that's sorta SC/Blizzard style), the play seemed fine... It all reminded me of 10 years ago when I used to play SC. I guess you go with what works though, and I hear it is rated highly.
    People have been building computers for years. Where have you been?

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    People have been building computers for years. Where have you been?
    Yep. I had 0 experience building computers and I put mine together in 2 days without a hitch. Just man up and do it.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

The final missions is kicking my arse.. just can't defend good enough against them zergs. Gotta HTFU and find a good strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by derekthetree View Post
    Well it was fun while it lasted...

Was having issues with graphics corruptions then finally got BSOD.

Card looks pretty dead now... no longer recognised by windows and lots of lines in POST screens

Any new card recommendations?
    You certainly won't be the only one. There are a slew of people having problem with their PC in various state of "new-ness" with this game(and plenty who had no problem). I was able to find a solution to my crashing and am now able to play the game. But a lot still hasn't. People's been frying their video cards also.

I think at this point there are no guarantee even if you have a new card(or even a new computer) that'll ensure you can run the game with no problem...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    The final missions is kicking my arse.. just can't defend good enough against them zergs. Gotta HTFU and find a good strategy.
    Right, finished it tonight. It's a lot easier when you're not tired and a little drunk. Now I want the next one already! Guess I'll amuse myself with getting achievements and multiplaying..

Thread Information