Thread: Porsche 356 engine sizes?

Porsche 356 engine sizes?

Hey guys,
    What is the best engine size i could fit in a 1963 Porsche 356. Any ideas for best power to weight ratio? And How quick it would be? And best fitting option.

If you're going to do an engine swap I'd recommend a Karmann Ghia, not a 356. A 356 is worth a whole lot more original, and I believe KGs have more room in the back, I've seen small-block Chevs and Windsors in the back of those,
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

what's it for?
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

what's it for?
    Im restoring it, and it will just be for fun, to drive drive around

if you're doing it for yourself, choose an engine you like then an early 911 flat 6 maybe?
    if it was me i'd hot up the standard engine i think. especially just in case i had to sell it one day.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

I'd keep it original for just drive driving it around. Maybe some hottening, as clutch mentioned but yea. If you add much more power you'd have to do a lot of suspension work and whatnot, which would seem to rob some of the character of the car.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

I'd keep it original for just drive driving it around. Maybe some hottening, as clutch mentioned but yea. If you add much more power you'd have to do a lot of suspension work and whatnot, which would seem to rob some of the character of the car.
    very true, why ruin a beautiful thing right?

if you're doing it for yourself, choose an engine you like then an early 911 flat 6 maybe?
    if it was me i'd hot up the standard engine i think. especially just in case i had to sell it one day
    See the problem is that the engine need alot of work, and the guy said he had it running a few years back. But Im so temped to get 150 hp out of the car Just need help

Rebuilt Air Cooled 2110, 2180 & 2275 cc VW Turnkey Engines
    A 356 is just a vw bug anyways right?
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Post some photos... and consider a turnkey as johnnynumfiv suggests, stashing the original for proper rebuild later. Anything over 1800cc
    is going to cost, but it's not HP so much as torque you want in a 356 for street/track. 130 is about right, though Jake Raby can build you what you want for a price. Serious performance costs serious money. The final photo below is a trick 2.0 from Dean Polopolus, Advance Performance Engineering. Twin-plug, Porsche Carrera 6 architecture but 4 cylinders. He built the first of these nearly 20 years ago for an Emory project for Milt Minter which made 180HP. The one he built for me makes 240. Still not sure whether it'll go into my Notch for LSR use, or another build. In a car weighing 1600lbs, it's well beyond the pleasant 10lbs per HP one can use comfortably on the street.

Raby VW power: Home

What model 356 do you own, serial #, etc? Here's mine, inching towards completion.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by csl177; 08-21-2010 at 11:54 AM. Reason: added link
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

I know its a Beetle engine. SO it Shouldn't be hard to fix. Especially since I have been racing Formula 1200. here is the info for you CSL177. Ill upload pics tomorrow. Im just going to a Scottish Party. And don't be to sad. The car needs ALOT of work. Bumper is missing, so is the carpets. Luckily all the gauges are still there.

Model: T6B
    VIN#:213794
    Engine:P606239
    Body: Karmann

if it just has to work and look good while using a vintage flat engine, i would highly recommend the VW 1300. Those run forever.
    FIXIE EVOLVED INTO SMALL MOTORBIKE! Now driving a Simson KR51 <3

Dream ride: red 1971 Opel Commodore GS/E

if the engine needs a lot of work then you have the perfect excuse for replacing broken (or potentially worn) bits with upgraded items..

Don't be sad? Your car dude, nothing for me to emote over. Carpets and a bumper are the least of your worries. If there's any rust,
    cut it out and replace the metal. These things rot if you spit near them. Use Ospho and epoxy primer everywhere. All panels are available, at a price. Brace yerself if'n there's any structural issues.

Porsche 356 engines and transaxles might share basic VW architecture and a few internals, but they're far from Beetles. If yours is complete and you have mechanical experience with F1200, rebuild it. Cost is about the same for a cheap turnkey, so why not
    keep it all Porsche? As clutch suggests, build it the way you want.

Your VIN indicates the car was built in late 1962; Porsche began model years in September... Karmann produced all T6s, 2228 for that year. The engine is a type 616/1 1600 normal, probably built in August of 1961 so it's not original but close enough. You can find the body number in several places: each door, each hood, on the rear apron and in the trunk. If all are present, congratulations... it hasn't had replacement panels. The 4-digit number under the VIN on the door jam tag is the paint code; post it and I'll tell you the color.

You can request a COA from Porsche for more info: interior trim, options, etc. Check out 356Talk :: Index for support and parts sources. Some of the old guard can be a pain, but it's an excellent resource, and most of us are happy to see younger people interested in these cars. Other resources like The Samba and Pelican have good technical forums, too.

Looking forward to some photos... good luck with the resto.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Thread Information