Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best PC driving game?

Best PC driving game?

Hey guys

I'm a big colin mcrae rally game fan. But i havent an xbox360 or PS3 so my only choice this time around for Colin Mcrae: DIRT (coming out in June) is PC. Which will be able to play it at top spec. But I dont like driving games on keyboard so I'm going to buy an xbox360 controller to plug into my PC, which I've been meaning to do for a while.

However, I need a driving game to keep me occupied until June. Both Colin Mcrae 2005 and Toca Race Driver 3 are £6.99 at play.com but what would you recommend? I'm not that upto date on the driving game genre so I may have missed an obvious game to look at.

Cheers

What about that GT-R game that all these guys are playing? Or Live for Speed.. I don't know. I don't play race sims on the PC.

BTW, the sexbox controller works on the pc? Cool.

GTR2 of course

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    What about that GT-R game that all these guys are playing? Or Live for Speed.. I don't know. I don't play race sims on the PC.

BTW, the sexbox controller works on the pc? Cool.
    yeah, its USB so you just download the software.

Is that GT-R 2? I'll check out some gameplay vids. Whats it like?

Bay Area, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way,
    If you're looking at hardcore racing simulation then go GTR2, but if you wanna relax a bit and wanna play arcade style (especially when you aren't gonna use a wheel anyway), then Test Drive: Unlimited is unbeatable.
    The Ace of All Aces.

Crysis. Maximum Game.

If you're after something that's great value for money then you really can't beat Gt Legends - http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/7096...s/Product.html

It is more of a "simracer" as opposed to a "racing game", so is very much optimised for use with a force feedback wheel. I dunno how well it would work with a controller.

There is a thread here discussing it - http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...ght=gt+legends - which includes the link to the excellent little demo version. It's defo the one I would get if I was on a limited budget.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

I'm looking for more of an arcade race like NC said, test drive: unlimited looks pretty cool. But like I said i dont know much about the driving game genre.

i used to use the old logitech sterring for PS2 GT3 for my computer racing like NFSMW. worked well but unrealisitc feel so.
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer View Post
    If you're after something that's great value for money then you really can't beat Gt Legends - http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/7096...s/Product.html

It is more of a "simracer" as opposed to a "racing game", so is very much optimised for use with a force feedback wheel. I dunno how well it would work with a controller.

There is a thread here discussing it - http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...ght=gt+legends - which includes the link to the excellent little demo version. It's defo the one I would get if I was on a limited budget.
    Seconded. I have it on my laptop, so I can play it anywhere. Works fine with a pad, but I have my Logitech DFP wheel permanently attached to my desk so when I'm playing it here I can use that. Brilliant game, best one I've ever played. Has all the realism you want, without the uncompromising harshness of modern racing cars. You should all play it.

GTR2 is head and shoulders above anything else. Beware of GTL because it has Starforce copy protection. I bought a copy of that game but after it was shipped, I found out it had Starf*** and I never installed it. rFactor is another choice. It's sort of open source so there are many, many mods available for that framework which makes it a very good value for the money.

GTL is worth having Starforce on your system. It's never caused any troubles for me. Except that my laptop has Vista on it, so I had to download newer starforce drivers to make it work...

Live for speed is my favorite for sure. Once you start practicing like a maniac you'll start to get the fun. I've done about 500 laps in the same car, same track etc. trying to perfect my laptime by 2 seconds Great stuff !

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer View Post
    If you're after something that's great value for money then you really can't beat Gt Legends -
    or if you can find gtr2 for £5 then that's just a good

I've all 3 GT games and have to say they are quite different, with very different gameplay. gtr2 is definitely the most forgiving.

as mentioned by others, they aren't really arcade games. my recommendation for that would be need for speed. its completely unrealistic but great fun.
    i would like to try test drive but my comp isn't good enough
    How can men use sex to get what they want?
    Sex is what they want. - Frasier

I don't play them much but GT-legends is good from a realism point of view but I have been playing TDU and I like it a lot. Having a good steering wheel helps. I love driving around twisty roads in the exige, its a rewarding yet accessible gameplay.
    autozine.org

well i check out the demo for test trive: unlimited and its fantastic.

being able to take a ferrari across a whole city and countryside roaming past all the traffic with those graphics is unbeatable so I think I'll buy that.

GTR2 just looks a bit too much of a serious racing sim, a bit too technical for my liking. The same reason I always played PGR2 more than GT4.

Thread Information