Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2005 Subaru WRX Sti Vs 1999 Nissan Skyline R34

2005 Subaru WRX Sti Vs 1999 Nissan Skyline R34

In a drag and Street Race who do u think waould be faster and why do u think So I personally dont like skylines that much but im not sayin that they are slow or anything but I love the Sti (as i am getting one befor then end of the year) and want to see what u guys think so let em know

Well, now that the 206kw limit on all Jap Cars is now banished, the 2005 Impreza will hopefully have HEAPS of power, so its probable that it will win. With a Skyline R34, do you mean a GTS-T or a GTR?

well S_R, through the 206kw limit, there has always been stock manufactured cars that are WAY over it.

and STI was always exempt from those limits. becuase its a tuning house basicaly and not part of the maufacturing team
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

I dont know if they were manufactured over, they couldnt have been to pass the laws, but they were made easily tunable for aftermarket parts and accessories to beef em up easily, Im sayin the GTR just because im ignorant of the STI, im sure spastik will gladly inform me of it capablities
    The Datto will rage again...

Actually, i don't really know how good is the Skyline but anyway i choose the Sub cause there's only one Sub.

Quote Originally Posted by biggysmalls
    Actually, i don't really know how good is the Skyline but anyway i choose the Sub cause there's only one Sub.
    dumb ass ... this is what i hate about fanboys, they take any question and mold it into a "which one do u like more" type of question

the man asked a simple question which is better in a drag/street race

normally id have to start slamming all u 12 year olds around with g forces road holding indexes power to weight ratios wheel base track width track time slalom speeds ect but for once im gonna just shut up and answer the question

in my personal opinion (as i have no reference or any proof/cite/example whatsoever) i think the impreza will do better in both a street and drag race due to its lower weight and superior road holding capabilities (even though its way understeered compared with the Lan Evo )

ps.... skylines suck

Quote Originally Posted by KnifeEdge_2K1
    dumb ass ... this is what i hate about fanboys, they take any question and mold it into a "which one do u like more" type of question

the man asked a simple question which is better in a drag/street race

normally id have to start slamming all u 12 year olds around with g forces road holding indexes power to weight ratios wheel base track width track time slalom speeds ect but for once im gonna just shut up and answer the question

in my personal opinion (as i have no reference or any proof/cite/example whatsoever) i think the impreza will do better in both a street and drag race due to its lower weight and superior road holding capabilities (even though its way understeered compared with the Lan Evo )

ps.... skylines suck
    Damn, what a lesson big boy... prankster. All your post for just that? moreover without any proof...
    it's no use to seem to be DA MAN who knows evrything if u don't do better than us... i second 'prankster'
    But anyway, finally we agree.

The Impreza Sti (in the UK at least) has more power, more torque, and less weight.

Therefore, in theory, the Impreza should be the faster of the two.
    Thanks for all the fish

The 280ps ceiling wasnt a law.

It was an informal agreement between the manufacturers and government that they would not claim/prove to have more than this.

Thats why for example a skyline (only quoting this as I know its fact) gtr has a flat or increasing torque curve at 4000rpm whilst the revs are still rising yet the maximum power output is claimed at a lowly 4600rpm when the bhp is purely a function of revs x torque.

Conversation between english journalist and nissan engineer responsible for RB26 engine development......

Journo: "So the car makes maximum torque at 4000rpms"
    Engineer: "Yes"
    Journo: "But the curve still stays flat whilst revs increase"
    Journo: "And your power curve is still climbing steeply at 4600rpm"
    Journo: "And the engine redlines at 8000rpm??"
    Journo: "So what is your maximum output??"
    Engineer: "280ps @ 4600rpm"

Even so I would agree that a standard STI would be quicker off the line than a standard R34gtr, but not over as long a distance as 1/4mile, or out on the road. Once its gripping dont forget that the GTR is basically RWD and hence putting alot more power to the road rather than through the drivetrain. But then how many GTR's are left totally standard with the restrictive airbox and exhaust. These two items allow slightly more boost thanks to free flowing air movement and will result in 350-380bhp. No way the STI will cope with that, even if it too had been modified ever so slightly. After all, if you are comparing the STI or Prodrive editions of the imprezza (ie the "hot" versions) surely it would be more fair to compare with the R34GTR R1 Nismo engine available direct from nissan with full factory warranty etc. 450bhp straight out the box and still ready for more with the chassis more than able to cope. Fit it with a tracker and the scooby driver might stand a chance of finding out which way it went !!!

J.

Quote Originally Posted by biggysmalls
    Damn, what a lesson big boy... prankster. All your post for just that? moreover without any proof...
    it's no use to seem to be DA MAN who knows evrything if u don't do better than us... i second 'prankster'
    But anyway, finally we agree.
    since when did an opinion require proof?

Quote Originally Posted by Bladerider
    Even so I would agree that a standard STI would be quicker off the line than a standard R34gtr, but not over as long a distance as 1/4mile, or out on the road. Once its gripping dont forget that the GTR is basically RWD and hence putting alot more power to the road rather than through the drivetrain.

J.
    i have no clue how the gtr's weird 4wd system works but i assume there will still be some type of center differential except the output to the front diff/axle will be disconnected somehow, either with a clutch or locking it in place to transfer 100% of the torque to the rear

either way this will not be as efficient as a dedicated rwd system so the loss/gain in efficiency and power would be insignificant

Quote Originally Posted by KnifeEdge_2K1
    either way this will not be as efficient as a dedicated rwd system so the loss/gain in efficiency and power would be insignificant
    Youd be wrong again then !! lol

It uses an hydraulically operated clutch pack, and if typical losses on true 4wd cars like the scooby were measured on a rolling road to be around 27% then expect the gtr to be more like 20%. (rwd would be about 17%)

I agree that 7% isnt a huge amount in the grand scheme of things, but a standard gtr with about 320bhp (the universally accepted true power output as standard) would be transmitting 256bhp to road with a 1560kg kerb weight giving a power to road ratio of 16.4bhp per 100kg's. The scooby, even though it has 300bhp in reality (I believe - this is another "white lie" jap car isnt it !!) would only be putting about 219bhp to tarmac with a 1470kilo kerb weight = 14.9bhp per 100kg's.

Not much difference, but enough to be seen once initial "bite" has been discounted from the equation.

J.

so u said im wrong ... then said the exact same thing i did ...

the only thing hr agreed with you on is the difference is somewhat insignificant but not unnoticeable. read harder >.<

<---------------------900th POST!!!
    The Datto will rage again...

well it all depends, if the cars hav been modded or not, if the R34 is rb26 or R1 or N1, ummmm i'd rather have both cars modded and then get them race and the result will be obvious....why does renault have to come and scr*w up the skyline, leave it to nissan, you guys dont know what a true skyline was even if it bit u

Thread Information