Thread: Test Drive Unlimited 2 review

Test Drive Unlimited 2 review

Got the game 2 days ago, here's what I think.

This game is very similar to the original Test Drive Unlimited in many ways.

Just like the old Test Drive Unlimited, the game has very many roads, and very many cars. However, due to the amount of content that the game has, the quality of the graphix had to suffer.

Game play wise, it is also very similar to the old TDU. Free roam feature is great, physics is average, and well race types are quite similar to the original. Online is very simple to use, and unlike the old TDU, you have many people driving online at any one time, and once in a while, you'll be challenged, or invited to an event.

In this game, they added a sort of storyline, where the races you compete in are organized by something called "Solar Crown", and you have pink slip challenges, and license earning events.

It's flaws are very similar to the ones in the original. 2 of which I've mentioned above; the graphix and the physics. They seemed to have tried to imitate simulation physics, yet the game clearly isn't a simulation, so that, in my opinion, takes away some of the "fun" factor.

Overall, this is exactly what the game's title suggests; an improvement over TDU1. It has another island, more cars, the car models are made MUCH better, and the things you can do to the cars is more detailed, such as opening the roof in a convertible. It's more stable to run, there are more race modes, and generally, it's just more polished.

This is just my opinion on the game. I really think it is a true petrolhead's game :-)

Looking forward to driving round with some of UCP's members!
    www.flickr.com/photos/maestro_ng

Its enjoyable to drive around in yes, but its a horrible game.

Crashes suck ass, Gear changes don't take place fast enough, Its clunky and quite poor physics are no great leap forward.

Worth a rent, not buy.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Just played some TDU [1] today and the game has its flaws, but is pretty enjoyable. Is there a TDU2 demo perhaps that I could sample?

Like Roentgen mentioned, I agree that TDU's physics try too hard to be sim-like.

Overall, I still need to beat TDU [1] lol (I don't really play the game that much) and when I do, TDU2 will be waiting, ready to go.
    Buy a car for you, not for other people

I don't think there's a demo for TDU2... never heard of one anyway.

I'm waiting for some more reviews before deciding whether or not to purchase this. I'm put off by the reports of dodgy physics and stodgy handling. I'd like to get it on PC aswell (wheel +graphics) but after Need for speed : Hot Pursuit I'm wary of PC conversions...
    How can men use sex to get what they want?
    Sex is what they want. - Frasier

What's wrong with Hot Pursuit? I've clocked it, and played online many times, and I still don't have much issues with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Roentgen View Post
    What's wrong with Hot Pursuit? I've clocked it, and played online many times, and I still don't have much issues with it.
    I pre-ordered it on PC, never got more than 5 mins into a game before crashing out. Waited a week for a patch and then traded it in for the XBOX version. When it did work there were some really bad slowdowns as well. The games is good on XBOX, a bit short maybe, but good fun.
    How can men use sex to get what they want?
    Sex is what they want. - Frasier

good luck
    Last edited by csl177; 06-12-2011 at 07:01 PM. Reason: spam source

Test Drive Unlimited

Your review makes me want to get this car racing game. Thanks.

Thread Information