Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Which 1980s cars can be regarded as classics?

Ohhh ok then...i have no idea what they are here?

And intial D the game was kewl...and i gave that iggy bloke whodrove one a flogging he wont forget anytime soon of course i was in a series VI rx7 but thats niot the point...he challenged me so there was a cartoon? and is it nothing but rice? (ME NO RIKE RICEE lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon500
    Ohhh ok then...i have no idea what they are here
    They were sold without the 16 valve engine in Austrlia and known as the Corolla Levin. Had an ordinary 1.6 litre carb engine. Sold from 84-87 roughly.
    NZ on the other hand got some new examples of the full spec Corolla AE86 GT 16-valve in both RWD Liftback and Coupe bodies. They later became very popular as Japanese imports.
    Australia did get the 16-valve 4A-GE engine in the FWD Corolla FX Hatch and Liftback from 1986 on. The FWD Corolla GTs have an enthusiast following as well, but no one raves about them quite as much as the AE86.

Note, the 1984-87 Corolla came with both FWD and RWD. The AE86 was the RWD version, both as a 2-door coupe (Levin) and 2-door liftback (Trueno in Japan). The FWD came in sedan, 2 & 4 door hatchback and 5-door liftback versions. Toyota, I believe, kept the RWD layout for two reasons - racing and as a hedge against the front-drive layout not being popular.

In Australia, the AE86 Corolla GT won its class at Bathurst in 1985, 86 and 87 (all three to Toyota Team Australia cars) - which is a pretty good record.

Tehm dull rice bubbles are supposed to be a cult car? good as they may be i cant agree on the styleing to be honest...i would much rather an 85 celica imo....

But i cant knock their perdformance at all...and maybey even after a drive i may change my tune...who knows....

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon500
    Tehm dull rice bubbles are supposed to be a cult car? good as they may be i cant agree on the styleing to be honest...i would much rather an 85 celica imo....

But i cant knock their perdformance at all...and maybey even after a drive i may change my tune...who knows....
    I'd prefer the Celica as well, the 85 model was a particularly good one.
    But I do understand the Corolla AE86's rep. It has a motorsport pedigree for example, whereas the Celica doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by motorsportnerd
    I'd prefer the Celica as well, the 85 model was a particularly good one.
    But I do understand the Corolla AE86's rep. It has a motorsport pedigree for example, whereas the Celica doesn't.
    Well good to see we agree there...my mate had an 85 and despite its serious overstearing problem it was a fun car...if it didnt have that problem it would of been a good car....
    But yeah the cars pedigrees peaks for itselfas and if queationable (not bad but not great) looks are my only complaint about the car then it should be quite nice...

volkswagen golf mk1 gti

300zx? is that 1980s? i thnk its 1989
    have fun with all my attached pictures guys!

the latest generation started 1989 yes, but there was also a revious generation that looke alot like the 240SX i believe
    Last edited by fpv_gtho; 06-26-2004 at 05:31 AM. Reason: its not the 200th century
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    the latest generation started 19989 yes, but there was also a revious generation that looke alot like the 240SX i believe
    yay i was right!
    have fun with all my attached pictures guys!

There are so many to choose from...

But I must mention the BMW M1, the M635CSi, and last but not least the E28 M5.

While writing other steels spring to mind. The Merc 450 SLC 5.0 (remember Walter Röhrl rallying one?). The Urquattro, many choice Italian steels. The Integrale, but also the Thema 8.32. The Alfa Sei (seriously), the Alfa Rio (rare).

Ah, well. Inspiration is fading but there's so much to choose from.

Regards,

Brava

Toyota Celica Supra Mkii

i dont know about the whole official age to be a classic, but it sure was a good mixed bag of technology. It looks pretty and is now quite rare, especially finding one in good condition. I bet one in factory-new condition would be worth a pretty penny.

Quote Originally Posted by bk4uyeah
    I disagree, an early 80's version on any of those American muscle cars could be considered a classic, as long as it had a V-8
    Just because it has an V8 doesnt make it aclassic unless it has quad cams and 32 Valves,my mate has a 68 fastback mustang with av8 and when i drove it it felt old slow and dangerous he says it has character and its not like a modern car,my definition of that "character" is woeful engineering flaws

Quote Originally Posted by charged
    Just because it has an V8 doesnt make it aclassic unless it has quad cams and 32 Valves,my mate has a 68 fastback mustang with av8 and when i drove it it felt old slow and dangerous he says it has character and its not like a modern car,my definition of that "character" is woeful engineering flaws
    So classics must have quad cams and 32 valves now? A classic is a classic despite the engine, or specs of the car. The 68 stang felt old, slow and unsafe? Well duh, its over 30 years old, and most likley has around 230hp, its not going to be fast...

Quote Originally Posted by Slicks
    So classics must have quad cams and 32 valves now? A classic is a classic despite the engine, or specs of the car. The 68 stang felt old, slow and unsafe? Well duh, its over 30 years old, and most likley has around 230hp, its not going to be fast...
    Funny when I go for club runs with my mate in his Mussy all the owners tell me new cars are heaps and the only thing they would be v8 American Cars so who really is being closed minded and biased

Quote Originally Posted by charged
    Funny when I go for club runs with my mate in his Mussy all the owners tell me new cars are heaps and the only thing they would be v8 American Cars so who really is being closed minded and biased
    Im sorry but that makes no sence, try and use proper grammar.

Thread Information