Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 2007 Bathurst 12 hour

This looks a lot more interesting than the 24hours of Daytona, which was mostly Nascar-like machines that could handle corners with a few GT cars thrown in that were ignored by the TV people.

It also helps that Bathurst has hills so more exciting stuff can happen.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    Been there, done that (24hr race) didn't work (Holden abused the rules)
    They weren't alone - has anyone seen a road-registered BMW M3 V8 GTR perchance?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gouldo
    What was dished up there over the weekend was very very lame. By Friday afternoon, 2000 tickets had been sold, and possibly countless more given away. In theory it is a great idea, but I am afraid that the motor racing fans want to see some exciting racing, & although this type of racing has the potential to deliver the goods, it doesnt. This weekend was more like a very poor 2nd grade club race meeting.
    Heya Gourdo, but that's a tad harsh imo. I can only speak for myself in saying I had an excellent Easter watching 11 good tintop races held over three days at one of the greatest racing circuits in the world, including an interesting 12-Hour production enduro .. not bad for $45. What did you do? Even so-called '2nd grade club race meetings' can be more fun that watching boring F1 on the tube, eh?

Sure the crowd was thin but that's merely a bonus I reckon. All it meant was that MSN and I were able to park our cars on any of the spectator berms anywhere around the mountain, and view the races in comfort. It was a friendly club-style crowd in attendance so extra points added for not having to contend with those V8 Supercar knuckledragger race 'fans' all weekend

How's this for a good vantage? P

(pics 1-3) the chariot perched right on top of the famous McPhillamy Park corner
    (pics 4-6) watching the Group N (historic touring car) action from Sulman Park
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pics 1-2:
    'Aussie Racing Cars' are tube-frame midgets with 1200cc motorcycle engines with various bodywork styles (Commodore, Falcon, FJ Holden and 1940 Ford) they're capable of 230km/h and can you believe four-wide going over Skyline?

Pics 3-6:
    Commodore Cup action with the very mellow sounding 253cid Holden V8s produced tight & enjoyable racing, from Sulman you could hear these old girls warbling away right across the mountain to Skyline. MSN and I had a bit of a debate going about which sounded better - these V8s or Porsche GT3. He says the latter but for me there's no way, these V8s sounded beeuudeful

For the hell of it a pic selection of notaworthy cars seen over the Bathurst weekend

1-2: Looks like the ex-Peter Janson VH Commodore (or replica) from the early 1980s
    3: Renault R10 S, these are now a rare thing
    4-6: Immaculate 1972-3 Holden LJ Torana GTR XU-1 in that beautiful OE colour of Plum Dinger 4 sale @ $35,000

(ask for further info if curious about these or any subsequent pics)

The weekend gets underway with a huge field of Group N Historics @ start of Friday arvo's race # one

I want to know about the Renault 10S. Is it basically a 8S in a 10 body?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Parked at the motel MSN and I were staying at was this Ford XY GT-HO (in the early morning dew)

An ancient Vellocette - with obligatory oil tray

The R10 was an R8 with a different front and rear. The car was 20 cm longer. Luggage space had gained 30%, from 240 to 315 litres. Equipment was very much the same as in the R8 Major initially.

I didn't think their ever was an R10 'S' .. the R10 got the R8S engine but not the name AFAIK. The R10 then got a bigger engine from the R12 before the end of production
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Bathurst Museum pics

1-3: Jim Hunter's unique Falcon ute was a 1987 Baja 1000 class-winner

4-6: Something called a Lola T70 or whatever (drool) geez what a great looking machine!

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    They weren't alone - has anyone seen a road-registered BMW M3 V8 GTR perchance?
    Yes.

Another question, what are those Group N cars? I guess they have nothing to do with the later Group N cars under the regulations established in 1982...
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    4-6: Something called a Lola T70 or whatever (drool) geez what a great looking machine!
    Nice series of pics Keep em coming

PS: http://www.gdcars.com/gdt70/gdt70_index.htm £20K and you can build your own "T70"
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I want to know about the Renault 10S. Is it basically a 8S in a 10 body?
    Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    The R10 was an R8 with a different front and rear. The car was 20 cm longer. Luggage space had gained 30%, from 240 to 315 litres. Equipment was very much the same as in the R8 Major initially.

I didn't think their ever was an R10 'S' .. the R10 got the R8S engine but not the name AFAIK. The R10 then got a bigger engine from the R12 before the end of production
    The 10S was introduced on May 1 1970. A "sporty" model probably to capitalise on the 16's and 8 Gordinis being used successfully in competition at that stage. It was an Australia only variation and used the 8S motor and trans which had the twin choke downdraft Weber carby. The dashboard was an Australian concoction comprising of usually inaccurate VDO gauges, and still no temperature gauge. The steering wheel also had fake weight saving holes where there was a fake teak veneer on the normal 10.

Apart from the nice britsh racing green stripe down the side of the car (a delete option) they also had 4.5" wheel rims. Believe it or not but Aussie Renaults and Peugeots were once manufactured in the same Oz factory in dismal West Heidelberg, a Melbourne suburb. Not uncoincidentally the local sales of both these French marques went boom (as did the factory) after those Le Atomique nuclear booms right near us in the South Pacific. Au revoir
    Last edited by nota; 04-13-2007 at 09:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Yes.

Another question, what are those Group N cars? I guess they have nothing to do with the later Group N cars under the regulations established in 1982...
    http://www.cams.com.au/content.asp?P...s&ObjectID=218

Bathurst is Oz oldest inland city & has some lovely old classic aussie architecture if that's your thing. Here's a spread of the courthouse (pics 1-3)

pic 4-5
    This goes with that (tractor excluded) or 'Ford diesel drags off Ferrari 430'

ah cheers, Nota.

I think the rest got the same without the 'S' tag.
    ie the 8S motor.... the crappy interior I'll leave aside

Thank you for the link, nota.

And for the pics too.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information