Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BMW Biturbo 3.0 Litre Engine

BMW Biturbo 3.0 Litre Engine

Backing up its global success with the innovative 507 bhp V10 powerplant for the M5 and M6 super cars (2005 Engine of the Year), and the VALVETRONIC magnesium-aluminum straight-six engines introduced in 2005, BMW is set to tear the wraps off a production-ready biturbo version of its acclaimed petrol-powered six-cylinder.

Retaining the familiar 3.0-litre capacity, the new all-aluminum engine boasts a pair of turbochargers, each feeding a trio of cylinders.

When combined with the efficiency and flexibility of acclaimed BMW VALVETRONIC and double-VANOS technology, the new engine is able to produce an immense 300 bhp of power and 295 lb-ft of torque.

It is armed with a Table Mountain-like torque profile that defies the term curve. Peak torque of 295 lb-ft is delivered between 1,500 rpm and 5,800 rpm and the engine boasts a 7,000 rpm red line.

The biturbo six-cylinder has the same power and more torque than the muscular 4.0-litre V8 engine fitted to the 740i.

The new engine further entrenches BMW as the manufacturer of the world’s most intelligent, advanced and dynamic engines for the enthusiast driver.

However, in keeping with BMW philosophy, the substantially enhanced performance does not come at a substantial cost to the environment. Fuel consumption, previously a bug-bear of high-performance turbo-charged engines, has been radically reduced thanks to high-precision direct petrol injection, used for the first time on a BMW six-cylinder motor. The V12 powered BMW 760i/Li features direct petrol injection for its 6.0-litre engine.

A further traditional turbo-engine wrinkle has been ironed out by BMW engineers: turbo lag. In the new engine, this has been completely removed, thanks to low inertia turbochargers.

The driver need only brush the accelerator pedal to receive an immediate surge of power and performance, as the engine delivers an electrifying response.

While turbocharger technology is almost as old as the internal combustion engine itself, in combination with cutting-edge high-precision direct petrol injection technology BMW engineers were able to write a new and exciting chapter in the history of forced-induction.

The foundation for all this power and torque is drawn from the exemplary characteristics of the magnesium-aluminum 3.0-litre engine which is rated at 262 bhp. This in itself is quite outstanding for a normally aspirated engine. Compared with the proven 3.0-litre normally aspirated magnesium-aluminum engine, the all-aluminum engine featuring new biturbo technology increases overall output by approximately 15 percent. Peak torque shoots up by an even more impressive 30 percent.

The resulting 300 bhp and 295 lb-ft of torque deliver outstanding thrust and driving power all the way across the rev range.

The only way to achieve such an increase in power and performance with a normally-aspirated engine would be to significantly increase engine size, which would also mean a corresponding increase in weight and the negative effects on the car’s overall balance.

The BMW combination of turbocharger technology with high-precision petrol injection is a particularly efficient way to meet even greater demands in terms of output and torque.

And for comparison, the new straight-six biturbo weighs about 155 lbs less than an approximately equally powerful eight-cylinder normally-aspirated engine displacing 4.0 liters. That is about the same weight as a moderately sized passenger.

Direct petrol injection also offers a significant fuel consumption saving of about 10 per cent compared with a similarly powerful turbocharged engine that uses regular fuel injection.

Turbines made of high heat-resistant special steel can withstand temperatures of up to 1,050 °C and therefore do not need the cooling effect of extra air flow. Particularly under full load, this means a significant decrease in fuel consumption.

High-precision fuel injection allows an even more exact dosage of fuel as well as a higher compression ratio – ideal conditions for increasing engine efficiency and significantly reducing fuel consumption.

All this is made possible by the central position of the piezo-injector between the valves. Fitted in this position, the innovative injector opening to the outside is able to distribute fuel in a conical burst ensuring particularly smooth distribution of fuel within the combustion chamber.

Apart from its low weight and class-leading fuel economy, the new biturbo engine is able to offer yet another unique BMW feature. This is supreme smoothness and refinement, precisely the virtue which has made BMW straight-six power units the benchmark for refined drive technology, acknowledged the world over.

Indeed, the natural perfection of the straight-six layout gives the engine perfect balance in terms of free mass forces, avoiding vibrations even at high engine speeds.

A further important point is that this turbocharged version of BMW’s six-cylinder comes with the same hollow, extra-light camshafts as on the normally-aspirated engine, as well as an electrically driven coolant pump operating only as required.

Developing this new straight-six with biturbo technology, BMW is opening up a new chapter in the long history of the turbocharged engine, which dates back to 1905 and the work of Swiss engineer Alfred Büchi. Initially turbo-charged engines were restricted to marine and aircraft engines. It was only much later that the technology migrated to cars. BMW began its association with turbocharged road cars with the now famous 1973 BMW 2002 Turbo road car.

BMW will announce at a later date which of its vehicles will receive this new engine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Audi humbles Porsche. A new dawn starts today.

Being nice since 2007.

It seems they are using the same twin turbo concept from the 3.0 diesel version which has 231 hp and 368 Nm. From what I've read its not that hard to get 500Nm from the diesel, so I bet the tuners must be drooling just from thinking on getting their hands on one of these.
    Zag when they Zig

Should be interesting to see what they throw it in. Maybe a new top of the range 3-series? (not including the M3)
    Audi humbles Porsche. A new dawn starts today.

Being nice since 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by magracer
    It seems they are using the same twin turbo concept from the 3.0 diesel version which has 231 hp and 368 Nm. From what I've read its not that hard to get 500Nm from the diesel, so I bet the tuners must be drooling just from thinking on getting their hands on one of these.
    actually the 535d has a 3 litre twin turbo diesel engine that produces 276 BHP and 413 lbft of torque. If you compare that with the new petrol engine you start asking question why they need the petrol engine at all.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    actually the 535d has a 3 litre twin turbo diesel engine that produces 276 BHP and 413 lbft of torque. If you compare that with the new petrol engine you start asking question why they need the petrol engine at all.
    I think they are developing it for areas where diesel hasn't picked up as much as in europe. i.e: america.

Edit: There are a bunch of different power ratings for the 3.0 diesel engine. I guees being turbo allows them to tune them accordingly to their intended use.
    Last edited by magracer; 02-21-2006 at 07:53 AM.
    Zag when they Zig

Quote Originally Posted by magracer
    I think they are developing it for areas where diesel hasn't picked up as much as in europe. i.e: america.

Edit: There are a bunch of different power ratings for the 3.0 diesel engine. I guees being turbo allows them to tune them accordingly to their intended use.
    there is a single turbo 3-litre which goes into the 330d and the 530d and the 3-litre biturbo version which is only available in the 535d (marketing )
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    there is a single turbo 3-litre which goes into the 330d and the 530d and the 3-litre biturbo version which is only available in the 535d (marketing )
    hmmm, that would explain why I found at least 3 power ratings for the 3.0 diesel turbo. I went with the middle one just to be sure. thanks for clarifing that henk4!
    Zag when they Zig

doesnt sound that amazing to me
    evo and sti engines do the same thing at 2 litres and with only 1 turbo without variable valve timing and lift

Quote Originally Posted by KnifeEdge_2K1 View Post
    doesnt sound that amazing to me
    evo and sti engines do the same thing at 2 litres and with only 1 turbo without variable valve timing and lift
    hmm the evo and the 335i are chalk and cheese in the world of turbo lag...then there is refinement and noise to consider. To me this engine is an all time great. No wonder alpinas tweaked version threatens the M3.
    autozine.org

Quote Originally Posted by jediali View Post
    hmm the evo and the 335i are chalk and cheese in the world of turbo lag...then there is refinement and noise to consider. To me this engine is an all time great. No wonder alpinas tweaked version threatens the M3.
    Well if we take into account the FIA coefficient for turbocharged engines (1,7), this turbocharged engine would be classified as a 5064cc, so no wonder it's more perfomant that the engine in the M3...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by jediali View Post
    Its a good engine not really great, Toyota had a similar set up in 1990 with the 1/2JZ engines. Toyotas system was slightly different at low engine revs all the exhaust gasses went to a single turbo to help with spooling as revs and exhaust gases increase both turbos get the exhaust gases and maximum boost is acheived. There was virtually no lag and plenty of boost up high. Tweaked versions of the 1/2JZ will make a lot more HP than a BMW.

Toyota JZ engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

good point charged. It was a combination of things for me though with the bmw 6, valvetronic, bivanos, direct injection, magnesium crankcase. The overall development and its efficiency i guess.
    autozine.org

However I don't think it's fair to compare tuned versions of the Toyota engine to the standard, and hardly boosted, BMW engine.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

toyota have to admired for making strides in petrol direct injection in recent times too, their equiped v6 is pretty clever, very clean.
    autozine.org

I like their v6 too, so Toyota should have credit for creating this car I wonder what it the demand for the different engine types, are people really choosing the models that are there or are they looking for a certain engine type?

___
    Link removed
    Last edited by LotusLocost; 03-09-2008 at 06:54 AM.

Thread Information