Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Goddamnit

sticking with silver, slightly deeper shade. de seaming and removing bumpers from the car - more difficult in the front since the bonnet has it's external hinges there!
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

When de-seaming, do you stitch weld from the inside? I can see the rear quarters are pretty straightforward... knowing what the bonnet
    is like, that's gotta be a lot of work. So, you're keeping the steel instead of a fiberglas front like you had. Any plans to louver the section behind the front wheels? LOVED that detail.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

i can't weld; old guy i have helping me is doing the deseaming and i'm following him with the body filler and sander to smooth it all out.
    i think the metal is going to give a better finish than the fibreglass? paint wise.
    if i can work it, definitely doing the louvres again!
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

No doubt, more consistent finish all steel. Simplify the louvers by having your welder freind scab in pre-punched panels.
    Easy, reasonably priced and you can design exactly what you want. Take a look: Fergie's Custom Louvers

1. the battery box is quite deep and cuts into footwell and glove box space.
    2. out it goes..
    3. i am cutting off the driver's side bracing from the wreck to weld in it's place, battery is going into the boot.
    4. since i am deseaming and removing the bumpers from the rear i will do the same from the front, however these actually cover the external bonnet hinges..
    5 & 6. all cut off, quite a protruding chunk of metal gone..
    Attached Images Attached Images

this is a shit of a job.. got old mate helping me though

fitting body to chassis, i still have to cut out some of the transmission tunnel to get it to fit.

also had an unpleasant suprise getting the fuel tank repaired, quoted $400!! jesus.

making sure the seat fits. they're cheap shit cobra retro style bucket seats, having them re-trimmed by an uncle.

the seat is a little bit too far back there but making sure it clears the transmission tunnel.

speaking of..
    making sure the transmission fits in the trans tunnel.

lining up the body and bonnet..

also doing some wiring on the side for the mini. actually not sure which car will be finished first!

^^^ Nice, they'll look very nice when finished.
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

Looking really good on both projects, clutch! Surprised by the de-seaming method though, kinda fussy and not as strong as a continuous weld. I recently decked the two-piece hood of a friend's '54 Chevy simply by removing the beading and stitching the two halves together from the underside. Filled the joint with lead, old-school.

i'll double check but i think the reason for the double weld is to do with a brace on the underside essentially making the seam a T piece in cross section. but yeah i just do as the old guy says, neither me or my dad know how to weld so having him help wa our only option!

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    ... brace on the underside essentially making the seam a T piece in cross section.
    Ahhhh! Got it, considerably stronger than a welded seam.

still working on clearance.. bonnet should have cleared but alas no, guess that's the british handmade charm - nothing ****ing fits from different cars

the old fella helping on the bodywork.

side vents in..

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Still looks like she's coming together!
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

I missed this first time around; you should have kneecapped the pickup driver. What a waste!

However,

Well done on the progress so far - here's hoping you can make it even better now (it looked stunning before). Good luck!
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

Thread Information