Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barnfind

Barnfind

After hearing from barnfinds and caches all over the world, i decided to show the barnfind i had about a year ago.
    Someone in a pub told me about 3 Renault Gordini's that was standing on a farm, somewhere in the Western Cape in South africa, and i decided that i will find it. Seeing that i have a collection of rear engined Renaults myself, i cannot let these cars rust away silently.
    I searched and followed leads for about 4mnths before i found them.It was in fact 2 Gordini's and a R8.Battered but repairable.
    I bought the cars and after we removed them to my store we were only able to check the condition. The one Gordini was as stock standard as can be. You can see the milage was very low. All the carpets were from the factory still. Rubbers was good and all the glass was fine. Just need to tidy up a bit. Needs a respray and some electrical work and the carbs needed a cleanout and all the oils needed to be replaced.

The second Gordini needed a total refurbish and the R8 was a car good enough for spares

Here is some pix taken when i found them
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by willysjeep; 12-02-2008 at 05:39 AM.
    I'm just an oldhustler trapped in a hotrodders world
    I have been doing so much with so little for so long I can do anything with nothing.
    Fiberglass is traditional.From Malmesbury,South Africa

Fantastic

Whats with all the freaky-deaky finds in South African barns? don't you guys drive your cars?
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

nice find, one of the cars already on the road again?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Some more pix.
    Also with the car was this GSM Dart. A South African build car from the 60's and also very sought after. This car was sold to a Rhodesain guy after manufacturing and was also a barnfind years later and brought back to South Africa. Interesting thing about the car is that the car was made out of fibreglass, but the bootlid on this one is metal.This car needs a total recon as well
    I have been doing so much with so little for so long I can do anything with nothing.

Very cool.. keep us up to date on where/how they end up from here..

Because of space or the lack thereoff i sold them to another collector, very close to me. He made the second car, a racecar and will do classiccar racing with it in the new year. I asked him for pictures and when he send them i will post here.

Anyone know what the European market is for these cars?? They are getting so scarce and expensive in SA.

If original Gordini's with original engine/transmission in good condition with good provenance then prices here would justify shipping them for sure
    Just the engine and transmission case could turn a nice profit !!!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Those engines and transmissions is just not available in SA. I got 2 spare Gordini engines and a spare 5spd box, but its not forsale and very hard to find. Even a R8 Gordini is just not for sale here

If you ever need the cash, name your price on the engines and esp the 5spd !!!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    If you ever need the cash, name your price on the engines and esp the 5spd !!!
    My SWAMBO is in love with my Gordini, and everytime i or somebody that want to buy the car or spares, mention the word buy or sell,she want to clap the shit out of me....so i better not

Really nice to see your finds. The R8 Gordini is one of my dream cars.
    René Bonnet Djet
    Simca 1200 S Coupé

Here is the pix of the car that was converted into a racecar. He did a brilliant job here

it must be amazing the feeling of finding a car like that hidden away.

Not cars that I like particularly but I find the whole barn find thing really interesting. Its crazy how cars can just end up squirelled away for years considering they are such expensive things.

Excelent thread, looking forward to more updates.

A welcome break from all this "Best some crap thing from somwhere of 2008" bollocks.
    UP THE BORO!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Q TOY View Post
    A welcome break from all this "Best some crap thing from somwhere of 2008" bollocks.
    it does generate a lot of extra traffic on the forums (there is a money element to that).

but anyway, here is a view of a Gordini engine room, hopefully WJeep can show us something similar in due time
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thread Information