3 6.67%
  • Volkswagen Tiguen

1 2.22%
  • Mercedes-Benz C63

2 4.44%
  • Honda Jazz

3 6.67%
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: 2008 Wheels Car of the Year - what car will win?

Perhaps the Competition was not quite as strong that year.

Either way, it speaks volumes on how much Wheels think the game has moved on Automotively.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Looking back over past Wheels Car of the Year awards, there have been plenty of controversial choices. Very few choices have met with all round applause.
    Last year's winner - the Mercedes C-Class and the 2005 winner - the Mazda MX-5 - both seemed to be relatively popular choices with enthusiasts.

Let's face it - of the top 7 cars, it doesn't matter which one Wheels chose as its Car of the Year. The winner was going to be unpopular. It was just one of those years where it was going to be hard to come up with a popular winner.
    And having a controversial winner is exactly what the magazine's editor's would prefer. Keeps us interested. Helps sells magazines. Has people talking. Which is as it should be.

Personally, I don't mind this year's choice. I like the Accord Euro (considered buying the previous model). I assumed the Falcon would win and thought the 135i deserved to win and, as I like the Mazda6, would have been happy to see that win. However, I was wrong in all cases.
    Much as I like the Falcon (I own one after all) and would have been happy to see it win, I have been kind of lukewarm about the FG. It may be a very good car, but it isn't the advance over the previous model and the competition that the BA was back in 2002.

And even though Car of the Year competitions will always be flawed in some way and will often be controversial, I'll continue to look forward to each year's awards.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    Perhaps the Competition was not quite as strong that year.

Either way, it speaks volumes on how much Wheels think the game has moved on Automotively.
    Of the top 3 in 2007, if the BMW 3-series coupe had been cheaper it might have won. If the Aurion had better dynamics/ESP and looked less awkward, it might have won.
    The Commodore won because the flaws of the other two when measured against the criteria were considered to be worse than the base Commodore's weak drivetrain.
    I'm not convinced this year had a stronger line up than 2007.

Anyway, it does show that Wheels thinks the game has moved on. And I doubt the Commodore could have won the award this year if it had been eligible.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

I don't get it
    the side airbag on the falcon base model is optional
    meaning if you want it you can tick the box and hey presto its there.

I have not heard the say that the xt's esp was skittish previously in any preview or review of the fg and yet now they decided it is. Are they just trying to satisfy their readers for reason why the FG didn't win?
    Barnum's Law - You’ll never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public

The dyslexic version of Cyco

Civil disobedience is still disobedience

Maybe it comes back to what i said some time ago.. The FG was going to be a familiar car to drivers of the BA-BF. Maybe that is the part.. As far as looks go it's changed good enough for me.. But that feel driving it will have much familiarity over it..
    Whereas Brendon was saying the BA changed the whole feel of the car over the AU - With most of FG gear coming on early..
    VE was the same over the VZ. once you drive both cars AU then BA like VZ then VE you feel something big in change in the way they move feel and steer.. FG more on the eyes. Anyone who has driven a BA and Territory should feel a familiarity with FG's driving.
    But that's more the AU failing bringing maybe BF gear earlier.. BF could have been an 06 FG ground up job if not for the AU.. Personally as much as i hated the AU look, I still think they should have worked on it into FG.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    The A4 could never had stood up to the Value argument.

As I see it the Accord Euro was simply the most competant across all points of the compass - never the best, but never the worst either.
    was the A4 in the review AWD? joins the entry level impreza in the list of "cars where AWD is completely unnecessary"

drove a current model A4 just yesterday as a courtesy car.
    how it could be considered a good car, especially at that price, is a mystery
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Wheels had both FWD and AWD versions of the A4 for testing.

Thread Information