View Poll Results: Which car will win the 2006 Wheels Car of the Year.

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alfa Romeo 159

5 8.47%
  • Audi Q7

3 5.08%
  • BMW 3-series Coupe

6 10.17%
  • Fiat Punto

4 6.78%
  • Holden Commodore VE

15 25.42%
  • Holden Statesman/Caprice WM

9 15.25%
  • Holden Captiva

0 0%
  • Honda Legend

3 5.08%
  • Mazda CX-7

2 3.39%
  • Mercedes S-Class

3 5.08%
  • Toyota Camry

1 1.69%
  • Toyota Aurion

6 10.17%
  • Toyota RAV4

0 0%
  • VW Passat

1 1.69%
  • VW Jetta

1 1.69%
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: 2006 Wheels Car of the Year: what will win in a very strong field?

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden
    The VE Commodore Omega isnt a sports car also, But ask the boys who got it through corners that were marked 80 doing almost double that with ease, Handling is handling the C70 it just doesnt have it.

Dam it's not cheap Just seen the price.
    Its not likely to work as a positive for the Commodore though. The firmness in the suspension is likely going to be considered a negative for the Omega and a positive for the SSV.
    I am the Stig

The Omega's suspension is not particularly firm. Its ride is one of its best qualities.

Also, on a different note, Drive has selected their Car of the Year: http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...eID=21002&vf=7

Didn't see that coming and I'm still shocked. An Audi TT??
    And the Aurion was the best car in its catagory, but didn't handle as well as the Mits 380. Again, que?? I disagree.
    Wouldn't read too much into these awards. The Toyota Yaris finished second....
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

Lol. you actually read Fairfax media

These people are just screwy. THE Q7 made the final 4. WTF?
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Just looking over the Drive catagory awards - not one Holden won an award (except People's choice, which doesn't really count). Does Holden not give any advertising revenue to Drive?
    Worst example - in the Best Performance Car under $60K should've been a shoe-in for the SS-V. Instead, they give it to the (admittedly still great) Golf GTi.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

I think the decision wasn't a bad one - the Golf GTi is still awesome. cars like the Mazda MPS3 might have oversurped it in the class though.

German Cars FTW, it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows
    They dont happen to be involved with Channel 10 now do they? The story CH10 news just ran on stability control saving lives seemed rather empty IMO.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows
    The Sydney Morning Herald (Fairfax) is far better and more intelligently written than the Sydney Daily Telegraph (Murdoch) - so yes I read Fairfax media.

It's still a shite tabloid newspaper though. <shrugs> the best of a bad lot

Yep, agreed. The Australian news media is 2nd rate at best.

All I can say really is magazines do it better.
    Barnum's Law - You’ll never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public

The dyslexic version of Cyco

Civil disobedience is still disobedience

Quote Originally Posted by motorsportnerd
    Yep, agreed. The Australian news media is 2nd rate at best.
    Well that's not quite true. ABC News and 7.30 report are good, and the SMH is good as well (except Drive) It's just that there's so much shite out there.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Well i guess Audi paid DRIVE a huge amount of money.

On another note who cares about some drive award..............im waiting for the WORLD CAR AWARD .

Go Commodore!

It'd be good to see Holden Commodore win this year because it has already produced about 200,000 (from a guess) and even beat the challenge of having to find new nuts and bolts following the Ajax controversy. I think that Holden have taken it to the world one more time. By the way, after the Calais V swept the Cars Guide car of the year award (in which PASSAT came 2nd and Aurion 3rd?!) i'll be shocked if it doesn't happen to win.
    Last edited by #3 Tasman Bloke; 12-01-2006 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Typo
    Signature removed, no spam allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by #3 Tasman Bloke
    It'd be good to see Holden Commodore win this year because it has already produced about 300,000 (from a guess) and even beat the challenge of having to find new nuts and bolts following the Ajax controversy. I think that Holden have taken it to the world one more time.
    Adding on to that, Holden have done an outstanding performance building the VE Commodore, so go COMMODORE
    Join V8SuperChat NOW!
    http://vee-eight.super-forum.net

Quote Originally Posted by #3 Tasman Bloke
    It'd be good to see Holden Commodore win this year because it has already produced about 300,000 (from a guess) and even beat the challenge of having to find new nuts and bolts following the Ajax controversy. I think that Holden have taken it to the world one more time.
    The Commodore VE SHOULDN'T win the award for THAT reason. It'd be a bit like giving an award to the kid in class who always tries the hardest but just isn't going to be top of the class.
    The Commodore VE should ONLY get the award if it is the car which best fits the criteria as set down by Wheels magazine.
    Being the top selling car isn't a criteria (especially as most Commodores sold this year were the old VZ model anyway). Nor is meeting a standard business challenge of getting around the problems that a supplier was having. Holden wasn't the only one to meet the challenge of the Ajax controversy - Ford and Mitsubishi also had to solve that challenge.

Having said that, if Wheels doesn't award the VE the win, it will be controversial to say the least (unless the WM wins, in which case all is likely to be forgiven). It will lead to accusations of bias against Holden, lack of patriotism, etc, etc.
    On the other hand, if the VE does win, it will also be controversial. Accusations will fly about bias towards Holden, questions will be asked about how much Holden spent to get the award, etc.
    This is always a problem with Car of the Year Awards.

Thread Information