Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: McLaren announce all new 'Sports Series'

McLaren announce all new 'Sports Series'

Known up to know under the codename P13, the next McLaren will be dubbed the Sports Series and will be introduced early next year. What do you think of the name?

Quote Originally Posted by Press Release
    Scheduled to premiere on the world stage in the second quarter of 2015, McLaren has now confirmed that its latest model, previously referred to only by its internal codename ‘P13’, will be known as the McLaren Sports Series. It will join the range below the 650S, bringing McLaren credentials and exclusivity to the sportscar segment for the first time.

The launch campaign will plot the history over 13 chapters of true game-changing – Black Swan – moments from around the world and within McLaren’s. Over the course of the coming weeks, McLaren Automotive will be using the hashtag #BlackSwanMoments to tell stories that have truly changed and challenged people’s beliefs.

The McLaren Sports Series will be a pure McLaren, building on the credentials of the McLaren P1™ and 650S, bringing Formula 1™ technologies and know-how to a new segment for the brand. It will feature a carbon fibre chassis and mid-mounted V8 engine.

Follow the McLaren Sports Series campaign over the coming months at cars.mclaren.com, and join the conversation on social media – #BlackSwanMoments.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

The name is dumb, but all of Autodom seems to have lost their brains when it comes to names, so this does not surprise me. We can whine about the name, but as long as the car is good, meh.

When I saw this thread, I assumed "Sport Series" was the name of a new one make international racing series run by McLaren. That says it.

I had the same thought.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

So Jalopnik is claiming this car is gonna cost 200k pound sterling, or 65k pounds less than a 650. My initial thought about this was that it'd cost something less than 200k USD in the American market (which unfortunately, is the default market for my mental pricing, for shame: me). That seems pricey. I figured this would take on high end 911s and the AMG GT/R8. Maybe not so much.

Off Topic: Considering the absurdity of car names, maybe Fisler well develop a special edition hellcat called the F6F-Hellcat/13, to honour Dan Marino and the original Hellcat plane, as well as our esteemed community member, f6fhellcat13.

Truely game changing marketing.

A McLaren guy apparently stated that it would cost "around two thirds of what a 12C would cost you today."
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Considering current prices, that's around what the S version of the AMG GT will cost here.
    Visca Catalunya!

Looks interesting...
    Attached Images Attached Images

McLaren's slogan: How many cars can we build on the same chassis with the same engine/transmission combo?

I am of course joking when I poke some fun at McLaren and I completely understand the economic realities that go into rationale behind making making what sounds like 5 or 6 cars (6 or 7 if you keep counting the 12-C) from the same monocoque, transmission, and engine with the same doors and similar interiors (likely). McLaren is a small company and they need to get max bang for the many bucks they spent developing the aforementioned components/powertrain/chassis.

That being said, I really hope the Sports Series at least looks notably different than the Super Series models (650s, 675lt) because otherwise they run the risk of model overload in my mind.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

They probably spent everything on the Honda engine.

On the other hand, all road going McLarens have exactly the same engine as this:

Visca Catalunya!

The anal retentive part of me hates McLaren's naming convention -- or lack thereof -- with a passion. Don't get my started on BMW.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    They probably spent everything on the Honda engine.

On the other hand, all road going McLarens have exactly the same engine as this:

What am I missing here?

M838 != VRH35 that it originated from. Besides, the Titan has the VK56DE?
    Turning money into memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasmus View Post
    The anal retentive part of me hates McLaren's naming convention -- or lack thereof -- with a passion. Don't get my started on BMW.
    I used to love BMW's naming system since it, you know, made sense (Series+engine size). The Series naming structure still makes sense but it drives me insane that a 335 has a 3.0 liter engine!

It could be worse though...look at Infinity.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Quote Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
    I used to love BMW's naming system since it, you know, made sense (Series+engine size). The Series naming structure still makes sense but it drives me insane that a 335 has a 3.0 liter engine!

It could be worse though...look at Infinity.
    I used to love it, too!

So, now, the 1-series can be a 2-door coupe or convertible, or a 3 or 5-door hatch.

The 2-series is a 2-door coupe or convertible version of the 1-series -- or a 5-door MPV.

The 3-series has always been a 4-door sedan, unless it's prefixed with an 'i', which makes it a small, 5-door hatch and electric, but if the 'i' comes later, it just means fuel injection -- which they've all had since the onset of the 90s anyway.

The 4-series is a 2-door coupe version of the 3-series, unless it's a 4-door sedan. Like the 3-series, but only slightly less so.

The 5-series is definitely a 4-door sedan, unless it's a 5-door hatch, and while the 6-series simply used to be the 2-door, coupe or convertible version of the 5-series, it now also comes as a 4-door sedan.

The 7-series was always a 4-door sedan, but now also a 4-door coupe, leaving room for the 8-series, 2-door, coupe, which only comes with the prefixed 'i' and electric -- until some marketing genius decides to make a 5-door 8-series hatch. Or, worse yet, an MPV.

Now the Z3 used to be the sports convertible slightly related to the 3-series, but was then replaced by the Z4, because it had to be bigger and better. Now they've started calling them Z4 sDrive, because sDrive is the basic, entry-level RWD moniker, and the appended 's' to '35is' means a faster sports version. And the 'i' still means fuel injection.

I'm close to giving up on BMW.
    Last edited by Rasmus; 03-18-2015 at 11:22 AM.
    Turning money into memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasmus View Post
    What am I missing here?

M838 != VRH35 that it originated from. Besides, the Titan has the VK56DE?
    Apparently (according to teenagers) some versions of the VRH engine are loosely based on the VH and VK family of engines.

So there you go, the McLaren P1 has a truck engine!
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Apparently (according to teenagers) some versions of the VRH engine are loosely based on the VH and VK family of engines.

So there you go, the McLaren P1 has a truck engine!
    That explains why it's so good at hauling...

HAULING ARSE THAT IS AMIRITE

The other thing that gets me is the numbers that used to mean displacement. Take AMG. There was the -55 cars, all with 5.5l V8. Then they had some of them with a 5.5V8 that was supercharged, but they were still -55. Then there was the 6.2l cars that were -63 (ok, a little fibbing because historicals, we'll forgive you that... I guess...). Now they've downsized to 5.5TT or 4.0TT, but they're still -63 because... can't go backwards? Yet all the press stuff trumpets the amazing wonderful efficiency of the new engines? How am I to show off my new AMG C63 with the 4.0TT against my neighbours old AMG C63 with the 6.2? The badge is the same!

Thread Information