Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 29373839

Thread: How do you increase Torque?

... so many opinions , so little time.

A longer stroke which will sacrifice max rpm and peak horsepower in some situations (think diesel).

Speaking of

Speaking of torque will any torque converter fit in any transmission?

Quote Originally Posted by CavaFreak View Post
    Speaking of torque will any torque converter fit in any transmission?
    No.
    Different makes/models have different converters.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Ty, does anyone know what the number a manual transmission 2000 cavalier has in it, cause i am thinking of converting but cant ever find the 5 speed part number?

HP & torque

I am old and dying, this thread is too long for me to read. I would like to add my understanding. Likely this info will repeat much of what has been written.

Obviously, you can have massive torque by getting a larger engine. Think of torque is a measure of force from firing the cylinder once. HP is a measure over time.

Wind resistance requires a certain HP to offset. HP cannot be produced by changing the gearing. Maxed out, I am either out of HP or at redline because the gearing is wrong.

Lets compare two engines 427 cid w 425HP stock and a race engine 350 cid producing 760 HP at 10k RPM. The other than higher compression, the race engine makes much more power from a smaller displacement by firing the cylinders twice as often. Of course, unless restricted on engine size by racing organizers, bigger is better.

Hi all,
    I drive a SSangyong Actyon (2.3 litre - petrol). The car comes stock with 150 hp and 214Nm. I'm ok with the hp but would like to raise my torque to about 250-300 Nm. I have a basic understanding of the need for longer connecting rods but my concern is does increasing torque (or BHP for that matter) incur a faster rate of wear on tear on the engine components which were designed to produce x output?

I have yet to see any evidence that a longer con rod increases torque. A taller piston, IMO, is a better alternative. Increasing the length of the con rod can possibly screw up bearings depending on the engine. If you want torque you need shorter length intake runners and smaller port heads.
    "Don't think your time on bad things
    Just float your little mind around"
    Jimi Hendrix

Increasing the length of the rod will increase the compression ratio (I believe) but wont increase the displacement. Your best bet is likely a couple of bolt on engine parts. It will be difficult to gain 30% more torque just from simple bolt-ons though.
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

Stroking an engine does indeed produce more torque, usually at the expense of rev speed and limit. It's more than just connecting rods,
    but crank throw. You can't simply use long rods on a standard crank, and getting into that much internal modification is too costly anyway.
    Your 2.3 is already a "square" design; it's the old Mercedes M111 engine... so the easiest way to increase torque will probably be supercharging, which is what they did. Whether you see a 30% increase needs to be answered by someone capable of re-mapping with appropriate boost.

If I were you, I'd look through SLK/C230K tuner threads. Somebody probably has a trick swap for the 2.0 crank and 2.3 rods, aftermarket pulleys PLUS mystery chip boosting secrets. How much power you want is entirely dependent on your wallet.

EDIT: Chips Ahoy... http://www.powerchipgroup.com/datasheets/1/Mer0047.pdf
    Last edited by csl177; 04-09-2012 at 11:49 PM. Reason: added pertinent link
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Quote Originally Posted by Orefus View Post
    Yo, is torque just a side effect of horse power, or can you mod cars to get more torque.
    Torque is taking energy, and it’s best confirmed as the grunt that gets you going, while horse energy is what keeps you going...
    There are so many methods by which you can change an motor to get more twisting,from changing the ECU/fuel-mapping to changing the consumption and fatigue sytems.
    Last edited by Gracysmith; 02-04-2013 at 01:29 AM.
    austin auto repair
    http://carterstrans.com/

hi guys need advise here..
    I have a ford escape 03 2.0L Zetec. would like to do a turbo upgrade.
    i'm currtently looking at the nissan SR20 turbine the M24 A/R 60., will this turbine is a good mod for the above mentioned car?.
    Another thing im a bit confuse on the water lines from turbines, any suggestions on that?
    please help thanks.

Thread Information