Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: G Wagon Experiences

G Wagon Experiences

As many of you would know Mercedes now sell the G Class in the UK through the Special Products Division and apparently the G350 CDI and G55 AMG will be unveiled in Australian Spec at the Australian Motor Show in October for deliveries beginning in 2011. (I believe the G550 is also coming but the rumour is that 2 out of the 3 is enough for expensive motor show floor space)

However this post is about those of you (mostly from the US I assume) who are already experienced with the G Wagon. I have been putting off buying a new Four wheel drive for over 12 months now due to the G Wagon rumours but have I been wasting my time? My love of the car is purely based on looks as that's all I've had to gauge it on so can any of you enlighten me on what I might actually expect? From the outside I'm expecting Mercedes comfort but in a truck like atmosphere, are they remotely comparable to a Range Rover or X5 in terms of comfort or road noise and performance?

I'll assume that off road they'll blitz practically anything with front, centre and rear differential locks coming standard but severe off roading isn't something I'd ever intend to do, just the occasional creek crossing or obstacle but that's just life in the country.

I've read any number of magazine articles and seen plenty more youtube reviews but what I would really like to read is the opinion of someone who's not getting paid to say nice things and has had some real life experience.

If you're a serious buyer, you should take one for a test drive. The dealerships welcome that sort of thing if you're serious about it.

I was mostly trying to plan ahead, I'm in Australia and I don't think any will be in the dealerships until 2011. The funny thing about Mercedes is even though a number of sources have claimed the G Wagon to definitely be coming to Australia no dealer that I've spoken to will admit to anything so the upcoming motor show will hopefully answer a lot of questions.

The G wagon is a terrible car. First, I've heard a lot of stories of them flipping over; its happened to a friend of my sister twice. Second, the ride is awful. Third, being on this website I can only assume you're a car guy, so if you're anything like me you'd feel disgusted spending that kind of money on a car on which MB couldn't bother to engineer interior door hinges or a wraparound wind shield.

The Rangey has the same presence as the G Wagon, but is a much better built car.

OR, you could buy a Cayenne or an X5 or even a Q7, all of which are much better engineered than any of them.
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

I like the flat windscreen and the external hinges, but the flipping over thing is not so good.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

That a Range Rover is a better built car is a worry.

Secondly, NicFromLA is approaching this from entirely the wrong angle. It was retrofitted with luxury parts, with the utilitarian aspects of the vehicle coming first, not the other way around. To compare it to a Q7 or X5, while they might share marketspace, the approach and solution to the same requirements are very different indeed.

Thirdly, Any 4WD is liable to flip if handled like a retard. The Mitsubishi Pajero (Montero/Shogun) was liable to flip if handled retardedly, but they didn't very often because the drivers recognised they were driving something with a centre of gravity higher than Tuvalu.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

The G is basically a great car that has been watered-down for the masses. The G's you get are fat, overpowered and too complicated which is really a shame. However, you should really consider to import a Diesel G from Europe. They nearly never go wrong (because there isn't much to go wrong at all) and rust protection is rather good on the newer examples. However, used Diesel G's cost loads of money because many people want them.
    Comparing the G to a Rangie isn't really a fitting comparison. The Defender is much more like the G than the big Range Rover, and both are better cars when it comes to offroad activities.
    FIXIE EVOLVED INTO SMALL MOTORBIKE! Now driving a Simson KR51 <3

Dream ride: red 1971 Opel Commodore GS/E

I dont like it ....... its a f*******

sweet looking SUV, id drive it

Quote Originally Posted by FastDriver View Post
    sweet looking SUV, id drive it
    Don't call it an SUV, it doesn't like that .

Now that this thread has been pointlessly revived, has anyone else heard the thing about AMG doing a G65 as a final send off?
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    Now that this thread has been pointlessly revived, has anyone else heard the thing about AMG doing a G65 as a final send off?
    Yep, I have, and I wouldn't ignore the rumours. AMG is insane enough to put a 600+ hp engine into the G. It will be a completely senseless car, but it's still pretty badass .
    I really hope Merc won't mess with the sucessor/ reworked model. If it ever comes (I've lost count on how often they've said they would discontinue the G).

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore GS/E View Post
    Don't call it an SUV, it doesn't like that .
    Are you saying isn't a Sport Utility Vehicle?

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    Yep, I have too.

Altough, old school Merc demands old school V8. They could do a G63 Black Series in the Ford Raptor vein.
    Quote Originally Posted by FastDriver View Post
    Are you saying isn't a Sport Utility Vehicle?
    No, it's an off roader.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Is this any help, it's a G Wagon review.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...-Benz_G-Class/
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

Thread Information