Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top Gear returns and Fifth Gear back from the dead

Top Gear returns and Fifth Gear back from the dead

Both of these stories are currently featured on the eztv website however I believe the Top Gear article may be as old as from February but as someone who likes these programs I still thought it was relevant.

TOP GEAR BACK IN JUNE

It seems that the boys have tackled an active volcano, in Iceland of course. Equipped with a Toyota (similar to the North Pole edition) and some volcano experts of course, this might be seen as the biggest challenge ever on Top Gear.

It seems imminent that Top Gear Season 15 will be aired on the 20th June 2010. The 3 boys will be celebrated as Jeremy Clarkson will be hailed as Grandpa Jeremy. There will be 7 episodes in season 15. The upcoming cars that will (might) be reviewed will be the Ferrari 458, new Jaguar XJ, Aston Martin Rapide and some other stunning ones too.

Rumor has it that the Reasonably Priced Car will be replaced, not too sure to which car but things will just get more interesting. Expect a heck load of adventure and drama on season 15.

AND

FIFTH GEAR TO RETURN

Fifth Gear was removed from Channel Five in October 2009, but is set for a two-series comeback in 2010. Fifth Gear – FIVE’s answer to Top Gear – is to rise from the ashes and return as a more test-focused programme.

The plan is for a slimmed-down, test-focused format without a studio centrepiece and a clearer focus on getting down and dirty with cars rather than being an ‘Entertainment’ show that happens to feature cars. Which is of course the criticism levelled – often with justification – at Top Gear.

FIVE have dispensed with Tom Ford and Tim Shaw. Which leaves Vicki Butler-Henderson, Tiff Needell, Jason Plato and Jonny Smith – more than enough to go play on the road and track.

The first episode was to have aired on FIVE at the end of April, and the Discovery Channel will be taking syndication rights for the new Fifth Gear for Europe – and probably further afield as well.

I find it really disappointing that Fifth Gear would get rid of Tom Ford. I know why they got rid of him and it makes sense to have two racing drivers and a woman whose been on television nearly 15 years, especially in their supposed new strictly car testing format, but why keep Johnny Smith over Tom Ford? I always found Tom funny and he only ever reviewed vehicles where the input of a racing driver was irrelevant anyway. Example - who cares what a British touring car driver or ex-Le mans racer thinks about the new Fiat Panda or Ford Fiesta that only my grandmother will buy? Not me, but I would have like to watch a review of both of those vehicles if they were done by someone who was funny and likeable.

Agreed on the Tom Ford thing, I'm disappointed to see him gone. His test segments were often the highlights of the episodes. In other news..

It’s been officially announced: an American version of Top Gear will be coming to the History Channel this fall, will be titled “Gear”, and has received a 10 episode commitment.

We reported that the show was coming to the History Channel back in February, but it wasn’t until yesterday that it was officially confirmed and the hosts announced. As expected, racing driver and professional drifter Tanner Foust will be one of the hosts while Adam Carolla, busy with an NBC pilot, will not.

The Hollywood Reporter is reporting that the other two hosts will be comedian and “Rescue Me” co-star Adam Ferrara and racing analyst Rutledge Wood.
    Probably the best place for Top/Fifth Gear news is finalgear.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by VOGUE_MAN View Post
    Vicki Butler-Henderson
    Her voice is very annoying. Don't know if she smokes 20 a day or a sack of gravel.
    autozine.org

Jonny Smith is a prat and I won't watch Fifth gear purely for that.

And Jason Potato.

And The boring testing format.

And...You know what, I just won't watch it.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by jediali View Post
    Her voice is very annoying. Don't know if she smokes 20 a day or a sack of gravel.
    You leave my VBH alone.
    Nothing sexier than a woman who can race a car full on, speak in husky tones and at the end of the day drink you under the table in the paddock bar
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post

And Jason Potato.

Stick with TG...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    You leave my VBH alone.
    Nothing sexier than a woman who can race a car full on, speak in husky tones and at the end of the day drink you under the table in the paddock bar
    Any woman that can outdrink you should set off a red flag in your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post

And Jason Potato.

jason potato was almost responsible for the loss of my monitor.
    Tom Ford seems okay though
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    unless they come from somewhere of a much higher altitude, then you can expect it
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Usually by the time the red flag should go off I'm already too drunk to notice, so..

in my trousers more like
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    in my trousers more like
    That time of the month?
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

I can't wait for Top Gear.
    www.flickr.com/photos/maestro_ng

Don't get it either why they couldn'r keep Tom, one of the best reviewrs i've seen and read, i don't mind jonny, him and Tom made a good pair. i think they should have kept Tom and dispensed one of the race drivers, i mean 3 Stigs in one show? Tom, Jonny and Tiff/Plato.
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

So.. did anyone else watch the new Top Gear? I enjoyed it, nothing too special though.

SPOILERS (highlight/quote to read.. unless your background isn't white.. in that case look away.. or something..): Hopefully they'll tone down the sillyness this series.. though in saying that, the Reliant bit had me in giggle fits. It's a shame they recycled the star-be-que for the new reasonably priced car, it clearly didn't work as well as the first time. The Conti review was solid though, and the volcano bit was great. Vuvuzela was kinda obvious, but funny. I'm imagining a selection of annoying 'instruments' for the rest of the series. Curious to see which way this series goes, if it's another step downwards it'll be a shame. Not a shock, but a shame.

Thread Information