Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: do people judge you by what car you drive?

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post

It's just that most people working in that sector happen to be pretty leftist and the type of people that's really against expensive cars.
    I consider myself to be pretty leftist, and yet I have no objection against expensive cars. (I'll be off to Pebble Beach in a couple of weeks). What I do object to is owners of expensive cars who seem to think that traffic rules do not apply to them in general.

But as you said, let's leave politics out of this discussion. Yet, in a world where appearences seem to play a certain role, it is difficult to fully leave politics out of the equation.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I think if you are in sales or something, then your image as a "package" can influence some people's perception of you. But For someone like me with a desk job, probably not so much....

If anything, in my line of work(automotive design engineer), having something that's "interesting" may just be a networking topic starter...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by blingbling View Post
    Lexus/Buick dealership here I come?

epic fail...
    The new Regal GS is actually pretty cool

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    In the US pretty much the only choice you have is Germany
    Not true, Jaguar, Infiniti, and Lexus are all respected just as much here as the big 3 from Germany

Regal Splendor.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrafan427 View Post
    The new Regal GS is actually pretty cool
    In an understated, cool manner...yes, YES you are right! They are cool.

The problem is, what if you are not beige?

Lagonda nails it down very well. And I'd say that at a younger age the smaller the better. In the US pretty much the only choice you have is Germany, and even there's a potential problem, beucause unlike here there are no entry level versions...
    US entry level models would be considered mid level in your area if I am correct.
    Buy a car for you, not for other people

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrafan427 View Post
    Not true, Jaguar, Infiniti, and Lexus are all respected just as much here as the big 3 from Germany
    A Jaguar is considered too much here.
    Quote Originally Posted by LHamilton_w View Post
    US entry level models would be considered mid level in your area if I am correct.
    Even top of the range in some cases, pretty much.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

A Jaguar is considered too much here.

Even top of the range in some cases, pretty much.
    Indeed, BMW in the US has a 1 series or 3 series that STARTS with the 28i engine. That's pretty much top of the line here (apart from the 35i or M version). I guess the 28i is comparable to our 25i (218hp) which is pretty damn rare over here. The next step up is a 330i with 272hp.

The average 1 or 3 series here is a 118d or 318d, these days the 116d/316d is also becoming popular (made especially for leasing, less taxes). And if you want you can also get a 116i or 316i with 1600cc spread over 4 cylinders and delivering 122 furious horses.

5 series is the same thing, starts with the 528i. 6-series: 650i only. The 7 starts with the 740i etc. etc.

PS: I tried configuring a 3-series on the US website: you can't get front parking sensors with the M-package ? wtf?
    Last edited by Lagonda; 07-31-2011 at 08:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    The average 1 or 3 series here is a 118d or 318d, these days the 116d/316d is also becoming popular (made especially for leasing, less taxes). And if you want you can also get a 116i or 316i with 1600cc spread over 4 cylinders and delivering 122 furious horses.
    That's the case also here, seeing as well some 320d/120ds. The same happens with the 5er, on which the 520d is the clear saled leader. For some reason in this generation the 520d has been given the twin tail pipes of its bigger brothers...

And I would say this is pretty much the case all over Europe.
    Visca Catalunya!

I think people do judge you by what car you drive, normally only car enthusiasts though, I judge some people, people in sensible car I think well there obviously not into cars that much and that’s ok. People in car like the BMW X6 (X6 M are the worst) I think WHY? If you have a really flashy car some people think you’re a show of.

I depends what business your in, some cars look ok in one business and not in others.
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by thebrochureman View Post
    I think people do judge you by what car you drive, normally only car enthusiasts though, I judge some people, people in sensible car I think well there obviously not into cars that much and that’s ok. People in car like the BMW X6 (X6 M are the worst) I think WHY? If you have a really flashy car some people think you’re a show of.
    Normal people judge the cars others have far more than (proper) car enthusiasts.
    Visca Catalunya!

Normal people judge the cars others have far more than (proper) car enthusiasts.
    Yes in most cases, most people hate flashy car and SUV's full stop but car enthusiasts know that some are more pointless than other like the X6 and other like the Volvo XC60 are good and very useful (your going to say you hate the XC60 arn't you).
    Last edited by thebrochureman; 08-01-2011 at 07:36 AM.
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by thebrochureman View Post
    Yes in most cases, most people hate flashy car and SUV's full stop but car enthusiasts know that some are more pointless than other like the X6 and other like the Volvo XC60 are good and very useful (your going to say you hate the XC60 arn't you).
    That's not the problem. We all have an opinion on most of the cars, and we prefer some over others. And there might be a bit of a consensus if we say that if you buy an SUV you are a twat. But for normal people it goes much further than that.

For some if you have a moderately exepensive car or with a prestige badge, you are showing off (especially if you are young). For others buying something that isn't german but that is challenger is a sign that you are mentally impaired. If you buy something korean, you've just wasted you money because their VW is simply better. And then there are those who'll simply dismiss you because their S-Line Audi is simply the best car to have ever graced the earth, and you small, low powered rear wheel drive car is the choice an imbecile. Without even entenring to the amazing world of hairdresser's/girly cars...

So if you are a petrolhead and have a modicum of common sense, you are going to have a tough time trying to jusify yourself in front of others.
    Visca Catalunya!

If someone is going to get all hung up about what you drive, they're probably going to be a painful customer to deal with anyway. Use it as a litmus test to see if you really want to be dealing with them.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

I went into incredible debt to drive a Rolls Phantom to work. People think I'm the shit though.

No but I drive a 2002 Hyundai to work. Honestly.. no one cares. I'd even say that driving TOO nice of a car makes you look like a pretentious tool if you're entry level. I'd say get something sporty/classy but not over the top, like a GTI or older gen A4/S4.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Sydney, Australia - in a Castle in the Hills
    Someone I knew years ago was some sort of business consultant and a lot of his work was done in his clients' homes or business premises. He sold his Holden Commodore and bought a Mercedes Benz and suddenly he found he was doing more business than he had been....

Thread Information