Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting at Virginia Tech

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500 View Post
    That's another good point. Those terrorists didn't need guns to commit their acts.
    Think you mist the point.

It would be up to a court of law to determine if you were mentally unbalanced when you shot him. However, doing that is forbidden by the law and would be an illegal act. Justice would be trying the man in court and having a sentence for his crime.
    Wouldn't matter a gun was easy to get i walked down to my local gun shop and bought one with no id 1 gun per month with no id.

You can't tell in every case if someone becomes mentally unbalanced 5 or 10 years in the future.
    Again, I will point out that Washington D.C. has the strictist gun laws in the country and it has the highest crime rate. I will also point out that years ago, I town in Illinois passed a law banning guns. The crime rate soared. And a town in Georgia passed a law requiring every household to have a gun. The house break-in dropped dramatically because criminals knew that if they broke into a house in that city, there was a good chance that they would have to deal with someone with a gun.
    That's the point you can't pick anything, So be hard all round..
    Instead of giving up after some trails why not let it stay on for ever and see how it is 5-10 years down the road..

Gun buy back crimes are dum enough for money they will sell there guns back.

D.C laws might be weak compared to others around the world.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden View Post
    Wouldn't matter a gun was easy to get i walked down to my local gun shop and bought one with no id 1 gun per month with no id.

That's the point you can't pick anything, So be hard all round..
    Instead of giving up after some trails why not let it stay on for ever and see how it is 5-10 years down the road..

Gun buy back crimes are dum enough for money they will sell there guns back.
    There are going to be murders as long as there are mentally unbalanced people around. Banning guns won't stop it; how could you confiscate millions of guns?

D.C laws might be weak compared to others around the world
    Maybe, but they are stronger than in other U.S cities and the crime rate is still higher.
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

There are going to be murders as long as there are mentally unbalanced people around. Banning guns won't stop it; how could you confiscate millions of guns?
    Buy back hand in guns we did it many years ago.
    We had a nut in the 90's go off and kill many people down in Tasmania, After that we all got into gun laws and people didn't want guns easy to access, In time it worked, Today I'm more likely to be killed by a freak of nature rather then a gun shot wound.

Maybe, but they are stronger than in other U.S cities and the crime rate is still higher.
    If a strict gun law is to be passed it must be all states, Cause if not you can just pop over to virgina or some other state that is weak on gun control and pick one up easy. So it must be all not 1.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Supra View Post
    ... So really by buying a gun you are risking someone elses life if it gets stolen.
    stolen firearms represented 0.06% of all registered firearms in Australia
    taken from Firearms theft in Australia 2004-2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Supra View Post
    You say MILLIONS HAVE BEEN SAVED by owning guns in defence. I ask you this.
    last quote from the US is about just over 60,000 cases, not sure how that correlates with overall deaths/homicides
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Guns can be made illegal, but criminals don't follow the law anyway! The problem isn't guns, it's mentally unstable people. A gun is an inanimate object which doesn't hurt anyone; it's the nut behind the trigger who does.
    It's both. It's not just one or the other. You need a maniac to kill a person and a tool to do it with. With a gun, murder is simple. It's not like in developed countries where guns are illegal there are various knife murders (etc) to bring the country up to the US average. You'd be an idiot not to recognize that there's a correletion. Do you think the lunatics behind the Virginia Tech tragedy could've done it with a knife? A sword? A Bat?

A huge number of murders in the US are cases of domestic violence. You can see how it might be a heat-of-the-moment type of deal; if the same situation happens and there's no gun around, people don't really seem to go for the other methods. Guns make killing a person extremely easy, so they're dangerous at points of high tension.

Naturally I really don't think you can do anything about it at this point. Even if there weren't any domineering overpatriots in the US, there are simply too many guns out there to get rid of. It really sucks, but its the truth.
    Last edited by Egg Nog; 04-16-2007 at 11:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden View Post
    Buy back hand in guns we did it many years ago.
    We had a nut in the 90's go off and kill many people down in Tasmania, After that we all got into gun laws and people didn't want guns easy to access, In time it worked, Today I'm more likely to be killed by a freak of nature rather then a gun shot wound.
    The problem is that law-abiding citizens will do that but the criminals won't.

If a strict gun law is to be passed it must be all states, Cause if not you can just pop over to virgina or some other state that is weak on gun control and pick one up easy. So it must be all not 1.
    The fact remains that the crime rate is higher in D.C. Why isn't it lower with all of the gun laws?

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog View Post
    It's both. It's not just one or the other. You need a maniac to kill a person and a tool to do it with. With a gun, murder is simple. It's not like in developed countries where guns are illegal there are various knife murders (etc) to bring the country up to the US average. You'd be an idiot not to recognize that there's a correletion. Do you think the lunatics behind the Virginia Tech tragedy could've done it with a knife? A sword? A Bat?

A huge number of murders in the US are cases of domestic violence. You can see how it might be a heat-of-the-moment type of deal; if the same situation happens and there's no gun around, people don't really seem to go for the other methods. Guns make killing a person extremely easy, so they're dangerous at points of high tension.

Naturally I really don't think you can do anything about it at this point. Even if there weren't any domineering overpatriots in the US, there are simply too many guns out there to get rid of. It really sucks, but its the truth.
    I think it's society in general. In the 1930s, for instance, there were many guns available, yet the crime rate was very low.

Even in the Old West of the late 1800s, it was common for men to walk around with a sidearm, yet shootouts in saloons or hotels did not happen everyday, even though it was during frontier times and life in the West was harsh and violent in many areas.

it's very sad this tragedy has happened. perhaps the problem, as i see it, has not been properly discussed, however.

What caused this person to get to such a stage where they purchased a gun and perpetrated such acts?

Who cares how, why? would it have stopped him if the gun he purchased was not so easily attained? or would it just have delayed such actions?

in the end this tragedy will always be used as a vehicle for others to push their agenda - both pro and anti gun control - and it actually sickens me.

Seriously, people.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    it's very sad this tragedy has happened. perhaps the problem, as i see it, has not been properly discussed, however.

What caused this person to get to such a stage where they purchased a gun and perpetrated such acts?

Who cares how, why? would it have stopped him if the gun he purchased was not so easily attained? or would it just have delayed such actions?

in the end this tragedy will always be used as a vehicle for others to push their agenda - both pro and anti gun control - and it actually sickens me.

Seriously, people.
    exactly. wait for the media sensationalism/profiteering to follow
    so far I've heard the following people blamed

- terrorist
    - republicans
    - the NRA
    - GW Bush (pretty much everything on earth is his fault these days)
    - video games

most likely none of which pulled any triggers at VTECH today.

who I have not heard blamed yet is
    - the evil self center prick that did it

I live up the road from Columbine. The political/media blood orgy that is about to follow this is one of the most despicable events of humankind. Lawsuits will be filed, ineffective laws passed, books will be written, movies will be made, and some of the worst most egotistical human beings on our planet will be made rich and more infamous as a result.

As far as I'm concerned they are just as big of scum bags as this prick assassin, they just don't kill people, they exploit them and their greiving families for their own benefit.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

It's typical of a society where no one person ever takes responsibility for their own actions.

It's always the booze, the drugs or the World of Warcraft to blame.

It's typical of a society where no one person ever takes responsibility for their own actions.

It's always the booze, the drugs or the World of Warcraft to blame.
    if they're good enough, they might be able to slip SUV's in there too

Couple this to claims that it was actually El Nino and Global Warming which had an effect.

But the opposing side will claim we're due for an Ice Age to negate those claims.

Of course. but Al Gore will make a movie to convince people this was all global warmings fault - it put the bullets in the gun.

Couple this to claims that it was actually El Nino and Global Warming which had an effect.
    they'll have to move fast. Jack Thompson (LOL) has already appeared on american news apparently as an "expert on school shootings" pointing the blame to video games. No mention of how he's about to be disbarred from being a lawyer

Thread Information