Thread: Audi Pininfarina Quartz

Audi Pininfarina Quartz

When the well-known Swiss car magazin "Automobil Revue" celebrated its 75th anniversary in 1980, Sergio Pininfarina, who had a very good relationship to the publishers, decided to make a special birthday present. He thought of a concept car that was a fully functionally and driveable Coupé.
    When he wandered the 1980 Geneva Auto Show and saw the newly introduced Audi Quattro he knew that this car should yield the base for his car. Luckily, Audi was quite happy to help and provided a complete (that is not counting the missing body Urquattro in the summer of 1980. During the conversion, Audi always had an eye on the project, but everything worked out fine. Pininfarina built a completely new body ontop of the unchanged quattro base. The body was tested in the windtunnel and had a cD of 0,45. Despite being some 30 cm shorter than the Quattro, the Quartz, as this show car was called, had some room in the rear and even a trunk/boot. Air intake is between the headlights in the body "groove". The outlet is behind the front fenders, also in the groove. Instead of the headlights of the drawings, small 75mm DE lights were used, a novum for the time.
    By using Carbonfiber and sandwich construction, the Quartz was 90kg lighter than the Quattro. The interieur shows modern design and is fully functional, as all the Quattro gauges were taken over, although the dashboard was thoroughly redesigned. A special gag is the exhaust tip!
    The Quartz was engineered to full drivability and later was purchased by Audi. When in 1986, the "Automobil Revue" went testing the performance, they got a top speed of 217km/h (136mph) and a 0 to 62mph time of 7.1s.
    When finally, the Quartz was presented in 1981 at the Geneva Auto Show, all pain was forgotten and a truly unique "Audi" was born.

text by: http://www.audistory.24max.de/old1/ecquartz.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Fasten seat belt while seated

that audi exhaust would look sooo sick. like put it in the middle of the RS4 or something.
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

i've seen it in an auto magazine before... I thought it was a concept
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by coolieman1220
    that audi exhaust would look sooo sick. like put it in the middle of the RS4 or something.
    Seen one on a S2 before, it's really quite tacky
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Its not too bad. It looks like a cross between an Audi quattro, Alfa Romeo GTV and the Porsche 928.

what is that wheel behind the rear in the first pic??
    If you want to do something wrong, do it right

Quote Originally Posted by silverhawk
    what is that wheel behind the rear in the first pic??
    It's a fifth wheel- an old-skool version of a GPS speedo

It's a way for testers to measure speed. Looks a bit stupid, doesn't work over cobbles, and has a tendency to fall off...

EDIT: Was this shown before/after the Quattro? I see some influence from the general shape...

Guest Guest
    (i think) its to measure distances, although why its not done at the wheel i do not know

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6
    EDIT: Was this shown before/after the Quattro? I see some influence from the general shape...
    Et tu, Sam?
    If you'd read the text you'd know

PS, I gotta agree with 2ndCC on the exahust, looks very tacky on the couple of cars I've seen it on.
    Audi humbles Porsche. A new dawn starts today.

Being nice since 2007.

Thread Information