Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 888 announce 2004 endurance drivers

888 announce 2004 endurance drivers

Team Betta Electrical Names This Seasons Endurance Drivers

Release Date: 19/05/2004

Head of Triple Eight Race Engineering – ‘Team Betta Electrical’ Roland Dane today announced the appointment of Frenchman Yvan Muller and Aussie Dean Canto as the team’s two endurance drivers for 2004.

The drivers will pair with Paul Radisich and Max Wilson to contest both the ‘Betta Electrical Sandown 500’ – September 10-12, as well as the ‘Bob Jane T-Marts Bathurst 1000’ to be conducted at Mt Panorama October 7-10.

“We are extremely pleased with our choice of drivers for the up-coming endurance events this season and particularly look forward to reintroducing the current 2003 BTCC Champion, Yvan Muller to the Australian V8 Supercar Series, especially given that he has been a Triple Eight Team Driver in Europe for more than six seasons” – said Dane.

“Yvan is an extremely accomplished driver and is again contesting the 2004 BTCC Championship in Britain driving for Triple Eight Race Engineering, currently holding second position in the championship behind team mate James Thompson, with the team retaining the lead in the manufacturers championship”.

“Muller has a string of achievements to his racing career, having won the 2003 BTCC Drivers Championship, and attaining his eighth win of the Andros Trophy ice racing – Chaonix 24 hour ice race.

“2002 saw him finish second in the British Touring Car Championship for Triple Eight Race Engineering, achieving five pole positions, four second placing’s and one third placing, and again winning the Andros Trophy ice racing – Chamonix 24 hour ice race.

This same year was Muller’s second visit to Mt Panorama in the Bathurst 1000 - his entry not completing the race.

“Dean Canto needs no introduction, having driven for the team in last years series” – said Dane.

“The team has retained his services for the endurance events this year and we expect him to do very well, we have given Dean some very valuable practice time in the car recently and he has performed to expectations, so we look forward to seeing him perform well in the endurance events”.

“We have not decided on driver pairings at this stage, however an announcement will be made as the events draw closer” – Dane concluded

BIOGRAPHY
    Yvan Muller
    Nationality: French
    Born: 16th August 1969, Altkirch, France
    Lives: Seppois Le Bas, France
    Championship: British Touring Car Championship
    Team: Triple Eight Race Engineering
    Racing history
    Green Flag MSA British Touring Car Champion
    Andros Trophy ice racing – champion
    Chamonix 24 hour ice race

Green Flag MSA British Touring Car Championship – second place
    Andros Trophy ice racing – champion
    Chamonix 24 hour ice race
    1000kms of Bathurst, Australia – DNF
    5 x wins, 4x 2nd, 1x 3rd.

AA.com British Touring Car Championship - 2nd
    Andros Trophy ice racing - Champion

Auto Trader British Touring Car Championship – 4th
    3x wins, 1x 2nd, 3x 3rd’.

Auto Trader British Touring Car Championship - 6th
    1x win, 1x 2nd, 3x 3rd.

Auto Trader British Touring Car Championship - 7th
    1x 2nd, 2x 3rd.

German Touring Car Championship - 7th (Audi)
    Andros Trophy ice racing - Champion (BMW)

Italian Touring Car Championship - 4th (Audi)
    Andros Trophy ice racing - Champion (BMW)

French Touring Car Championship - Champion (BMW)
    9x wins - 16 races
    FIA Touring Car World Cup - 4th (BMW)

French Touring Car Championship - 3rd (BMW)
    FIA Touring car World Cup - 7th (BMW)

FIA European Formula 3000 Championship

British Formula 2 Championship - Champion
    4x wins, 4x poles, 4x lap records

1990—91
    French Formula 3 Championship

French Formula 3 Championship - 3rd

French Formula Renault Championship - 3rd

Elf Winfield Racing School - 2nd

1980—86
    Karting
    I am the Stig

Hmm intresting....while the frenchman seems qualified...it has often been proven that an import is not as good as local.....it was one of allan moffats short commings putting alot of faith in euro drivers...who did cut it but didnt quite get it....we have ex BTCC championship winners (paul radasich) we have ex f1 testers and cart stars (max wilson who was aout to take mark webbers spot but didnt have as much money mind you) and while they fit in it took them quite a while to cope...max wilson first season comming to mind....itll be interesting to hear of the pace he belts out while tsting....

Radisich was on the pace in his first year of V8 Supercars in 1999 with DJR. He also drove with several teams in the enduros through the nineties. I remember he shared the Glen Seton Falcon at Bathurst in 1994. Seton put it on pole, but Radisich matched his times despite not being a regular in the car. Radisich did know all the circuits already in 1999 having competed in Formula Pacific cars in Australia in the 1980s. So he had that advantage over Wilson.
    Also, Max Wilson was quick in 2002, just made some silly errors such as attempting a quick flick turn like he would in a CART car when he spun, only to create a smoke cloud and be t-boned by Ambrose. There has never been in doubt about Wilson's speed or car control though.

Well also remember that Ambrose had a fairly solid F3 career and that got him the V8 Supercar title in his 3rd year, and he grabbed pole off Skaife in his first race so he got used to the machinery reasonably quickly, and remember he never got tested by Ross or Jimmy before they signed him up either.

I wouldnt be surprised to see Muller teamed with Radisich, i'd say that theyve got some common ground and they both come from similar touring car backgrounds so if they have pace on the day they should be something to look out for
    I am the Stig

I'd suggest that if Triple 888 want to win, they put the two full time V8 Supercar drivers (Radisich/Wilson) in the lead car. The drivers are evenly matched on pace (noticed how they're often together on the grid this year?), are roughly the same height, have intimate of the traits of V8 Supercar. Also, Radisich is hungry for Bathurst success. If he has any say, I assume he'll prefer to partner Wilson. Now Radisich/Wilson. That's a combo that would have to be one of the fastest, most closely matched and experienced combo in the field. Rates alongside Lowndes/Seton or Richards/Richards.
    Also, note that this will be Muller's third Bathurst start. He also drove in 2000 when he share the second HRT Commodore with Jason Plato. Qualified 19th, finished 10th. I think he'd make a good backup in the second car alongside Canto. Stong top 5 possibily a Muller/Canto combo.
    I'd rate Lowndes/Seton and Richards/Richards as favourites given appopriate car speed for the 1000 this year. Purely on the strength of the driving combos. Also, Skaife/Kelly, Murphy/Kelly and Jones/Bowe will be strong again. I'm not sure that splitting Ambrose and Ingall up is a good idea, though I guess they have such different driving styles they compromise each other too much.
    I'm not sure what the DJR combos will be. How does Johnson/Brabham sound. That would be a strong all round combo.
    Also, Tander/McConville would be strong if GRM puts their two regulars together.
    And there are rumours of a Morris/Baird combo. Presumably, Baird will be released from team Kiwi for the enduros. And Morris/Baird "won" the 1997 Bathurst 1000 for Super-tourers in a BMW 320i, before being disqualified (due to Baird spending too much time in the car). So, they may want revenge.
    Also a Jason Richards/Alex Yoong combo looks likely. That could be interesting, especially if the Tasman VY is up to speed and if Yoong gets enough track time in a V8 beforehand.
    Finally, any rumours on who will drive the second HRT car (since Richards, Mezera and Longhurst all have drives with LPR this year).

he;s a top driver . he will deliver if the car is good
    There is no terrible way of winning
    there is just winning

People to whatch out for...id be a fool if i didnt say Murphy/Kelly but im not overly worried about them...car development at the moment is crawling and with many months wasted trying to get more out of it will no doubt spend a lot of energy....

Ellery/Youlden whilei dont think theyll get a podium this year through reliability and good drivers i think theyll be a strong side for a top 10

Bowe/Jones so much potential so much bad luck...maybey this year?
    Johnson/luff outside chance but i think its got potential (and this look like their driver lineup at the moment with many months to go....I would think that brabbam would compliment Johnson more...he is a better driver then his machinery i think...his talent was show in the 00,01 seasons.

Skaife/kelly with out comment.

Lowndes/Seton laowndes wants to leave FPR preahps a bthurst win may change his mind...seton one of the longest serving drivers with so many records and wins to his name....all except a bathurst win....

Radasich/wilson potential lots of potential....i think their similar height will be an advantage radasich being mid 5' and johnsons 6'4"+ really did reek havoc...rember thattime he flicked the booster seat intoJohnsons postion and nailed one of the pit crew because he couldent reach the brake pedel....Wilson is quick...just makes silly mistakes....Radasich has always been fast and i think Johnson made the wrong decision getting rid of him...even if radasich and his son had serious diffrences they both where equil pairings in driveing.

One you missed motorsport Wheel/Bright they will no doubt be a force not that i am happy to admit that....

Noske/Besnard good shot at a top 10 even in a fledgling team both young fit and quick drivers

Tander/McOnville has potential...but i do not want them to win...i really dislike Garry Rodger the team owner...also Garth has some real stupid mistakes on the track...Cam is rather a clean driver and is desperatly underrated...
    Richards/Richards...with out saying...im wondering who Tony Longhurst will be partnering? I always liked Longhurst and wish him well....

Im open to any comments on team possiblitys...other then HRT the might do it but i hope they dont....

My understanding is that the Richards/Richards combo is not a certainty. LP has reserved the right to play around with the combos. Though, other than LP himself partnering Steven Richards, there is no one more experienced than Jim at LPR. I've always been a Jim Richards fan. So, allowing for the fact that they're driving for LP (who I'm not a particular fan) and driving a Holden, a Richards/Richards combo will be one of my personal favorites for Bathurst this year (along with Lowndes/Seton, Radisich/Wilson and Murphy/Kelly). It would be great to see a father/son combo win. They finished 2nd together last time they shared a car in the 1997 Primus 1000 in a GRM car. And Jim won with Steve second in the Super Touring 1000 in 1998. There's only one thing left - for them to win together. And if the manage it would be Jim's 8th Bathurst victory (previously won '78, '79,'80, '91, '92, '98 and '02) and Steve's 3rd (previously won '98 & '99). Maybe Jim will finally get the recognition he richly deserves if he closes in on or even beats Brock's record tally of wins. I suspect Jim is slightly tainted by his association with the two wins in the Nissan GTRs, and many may not rate his win in the Volvo Super-tourer. Also, Jim has never had the superstar media attraction of Brock or Johnson. He's much less assuming. However, that doesn't take away Jim's outstanding abilities as a driver, or the fact that he comes across as one of the most likeable blokes in Australian motorsport. Sooner or later, either the NZ or Australian government will honour him for his services to motorsport. And he should be inducted into both the Australian motorsport hall of fame and the NZ Sports Hall of Fame. Sorry if it sounds like I'm promoting Jim, but I will continue to remind people of his talents until he gets some real recognition.

I assume the LPR combos will be Richards/Richards, Dumbrell/Perkins, Longhurst/Tratt. Or possibly Richards/Richards, Dumbrell/Longhurst, Tratt/Perkins? Or even S Richards/Perkins, J.Richards/Longhurst (as with last year) and Dumbrell/Tratt. Larry certainly has options on his driver combos.

Also, any rumours whether Crompton will suit up for the enduros (in the second FPR car maybe alongside his mates Lowndes and Seton?)
    And HRT's drivers for its second car?
    Last edited by motorsportnerd; 05-22-2004 at 07:12 AM.

i was under the impression Larry Perkins hung up his helmet for good after he couldnt even do a clean practise session last year, but i could be wrong. Normally, i'd say Crompton's been out of it for too long to be seriosuly considered by FPR or any other leading teams, but he did have a driving roll in the 24hr race last year. But then theres his position as expert commentator, with the level of publicity and coverage put into the Bathurst 4 day weekend, does Channel 10 really want to take their best commentator away from the camera's at a time when theyve even got their Australian Motorcycle Championship commentators going through the pits?
    Last edited by fpv_gtho; 05-23-2004 at 01:55 AM.
    I am the Stig

When Perkins announced his endurance drivers at the start of the year he included himself. But I don't think that's set in concrete.

well i suppose if Perkins doesnt go for the drive, then theres an empty seat if they dont use Tratt's car (provided the 3rd castrol VY isnt ready, otherwise i guess Longhurst's VX wont be used) but ive only heard of Jim Richards as a confirmed endurance driver on top of the 4 regular drivers. It seemed pretty certain after Bathurst last year that Perkins wasnt going to try this year again either, after how much form he lost from only doing 2 of 13 rounds
    I am the Stig

No, Thomas Mezera is definately confirmed as one of the Perkins Castrol endurance drivers (I forgot that earlier). Confirmed drivers are (Motorsport News Fed 25, 2004) S Richards, J Richards, Dumbrell, Longhurst, Tratt, Mezera and probably Perkins. Under the franchise system with AVESCO, Perkins has to run all four cars. So there are still at least one seat and possibily two if Larry doesn't drive to fill (only just refreshed my memory on that). There was a rumour that Fabien Coulthard could get a drive with the team in the enduros.
    Also Tratt's car and Longhurst's car are run by Perkins as customer car's, so he may not have much say on Tratt's or Longhurst's co drivers.
    Last edited by motorsportnerd; 05-23-2004 at 03:44 AM.

So thatmeans tratt could use his good friend paul stokell....Mezera and longhurst wouldent be a bad combo either....personally i think if larrys going to drive he should go with the young bloke again...and it seems a bit unfair that perkinas can do that...richards left on the proviso that he could race with his son....
    And richards a good bloke....your streatching that a fair bit...he despises talking to a camra and avoids people in general...ive seen out takes where he tryed walking away from the camra not to talk to them!...if he really is that shy whats he doing being invovled with a sport the works from a camra lense...and then there is the your a pack of assholes incident...and the skyline incident...so that why he will never be as popular as brock,Johnson...hell even kids saying that skylines won bathurst cant even say jim richards was the driver! Also he accociated himselfwith super tourers which where quite rightly disliked here...they didnt refelct australian motoring at all!

[QUOTE=Falcon500]OK, Richard's isn't a media person. But, from all accounts I've heard he is a nice guy. He just doesn't have a polished media persona and is a little shy. The Australian motoring/motorsport media has never had a bad word to say about him, even if he is camera shy. I'd suggest Seton is much the same - and I don't have any problems with that. Not everyone is an extrovert.
    The pack of arseholes comment... Richard's mate Denis Hulme had passed away that day. Under international rules, the Skyline had won fair and square. You can't blame the drivers for the rules. And everyone (crowd included) was a bit emotional. It was a comment that just slipped out. He got a lot of praise in NZ for that comment (not surprisingly). And the Australian media tended to side with him as well. Sure, a Japanese car did win and it had crashed, but the second placed car was a English Ford. It was, as far as I'm concerned, one of those times where a bunch of drunken louts did futher damage to the reputation of Australian sports crowds as been very unsportsmanlike at times. Johnson also made some inappropriate comments on the same podium. Everyone concerned forgot they were professional sportsmen that day... And the same international rules Johnson criticised gave his team victory in the 2001 QLD 500 when Radisich was bogged.
    As for Richard's been involved in Super Touring - so what? Brock was as well. So were Brad Jones, Greg Murphy, Paul Morris, Craig Baird and Paul Radisich. I don't see anyone criticising any of them for taking drives that could get them race wins. Its what racing drivers do - drive race cars. It was a legitimate, recognised catagory. Richard's had no drive in the V8s which were going through a rough patch in the mid 90s. He had effectively retired from full time V8 driving anyway. No different than Richards driving Porsches the last 5 years or so (which don't reflect Australian motorsport either if you want to look at it that way).

....i apologise sincerly motorsport inetead of clicking quite i clicked edit and put my message in
    Last edited by Falcon500; 05-24-2004 at 05:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by motorsportnerd
    At least he's not arrogant or rude when a camera is pushed in front of him (like, say, Garry Rogers...).

i think theres a big question mark in most peoples minds hanging over garry rogers head in regards to his attitudes towards things. back to jim richards though, i think he wins alot of acclaim for his versatility, being able to win races in a LHD Porsche then the next day go in and be competitive in a RHD V8 Supercar. its almost the opposites in touring cars
    I am the Stig

Thread Information