Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: increasing power of a naturally aspirated engine

Quote Originally Posted by coolieman1220
    u got most but always remember, there is no replacement for displacement
    Quote Originally Posted by Clique
    i personally think the best way of increasing a cars performance at minimal cost is decreasing the weight...other than that i think you have mentioned everything... i am sure others will come up with more...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweeney921
    That was classic, New Yorker says "there's no replacement for displacement" while the European says there's no replacement for less weight.
    Don't forget the German way. Make it light and high tech (Aluminium, carbon and fuel injected supercarging) and then fill it up with so mutch luxery that the weight too mutch.

If I'm not tottaly wrong Atkinson has not to do with overlap of intake valve and exhaust valve.
    If I remember right Atkinson cycle leave the ilet valve open after the compresion cycle started to allov a turbo or compresor to fill more air into the cylinder since it's probartly a lower preshure in the cylinder a few degres after dead center than it is in the intake manifoul.
    The optimal is that the valve close when the cylinder preshure and manifoil preshure is equal.

If I was to tune a engine without using forced induction I would strart with a new airilter and increase the fuel preshure a litle, polish the manifoil and get some headers with new exhaust pipe since this require only minor cost and dismantling.

If taking it one step futher I would order new pistions at http://www.cosworth.com/pistons.php and get some work done on the top.

Stroking and boring the engine is a idea I'm not to found of since it can have some side effects. A biger volume will make the airspeed in the inlet system increase and also increase the restriction. Canging the stroke has proven not sucsesfull on some cars like some BMW's

Biger volume also require the cooling system to transport more heat out of the engine and smaler valves/cubic will make less% of the heat able to escape trough the exhaust valve.

Remove some mass from your flyweel, but this can make the engine not runn so nice on idle.
    Last edited by stian1979; 02-24-2006 at 01:00 AM.

Thread Information