Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How would you modify your car if you had access to a car company's resources?

How would you modify your car if you had access to a car company's resources?

Today I was thinking that if I was the boss of a big car company I most probably wouldn't be able to design my own cars, models which would probably decided by a team of accountants, marketing men and an engineer or two. But even so I though that I at least I'd like to make version to Ferrer-spec and still put it on sale. I thought though that I couldn't go OTT with exotic things since it would still have to make theoretical financial sense.

(All of these ocurred to me while looking at a Panamera and thinking about the GTS version being Porsche's CEO-spec idea and then thinking that I'd do it all differently)

And then I thought, well where would I start? The car I've driven the most lately is well... suprise surprise... my own car. So it finally ocurred to me, if I had unlimited access to Mazda's resources (both in terms of engineers and money) what would I change to create an MX-5 FGT 1800 model?

I would start by stiffening the suspension a bit, but not too much. The ride comfort of the car as is, is great but it's a tad too soft for a sportscar. So I'd be prepared to sacrifice a little bit of comfort for better body control. I'd also install a high performance braking system with the biggest discs that the standard 16" wheels and tyres (which I'd keep by the way) could fit.

I would continue by adding a 6 speed manual gearbox with a taller 6th gear as a sort of overdrive. This would help ease the noise when cruising. At the same I would maintain the ratios (or perhaps I'd shorten them a bit) for spirited driving. I'd also add a limited slip differential.

I would move to the back as many parts that are under the bonnet currently (like the battery) as possible and I would add a lightweight exhaust system with a single twin tailpipe exit (I'd delete the fake dual) but not necessarily louder. I'd also fit the engine itself with lightweight parts (like forged pistons and the likes) but nothing too radical. I'd raise the rev limit and fine tune the engine a bit to gain a bit of power (10-15% more would be ok). Everything where weight could be saved without going exotic or sacrifising everyday usability would be thrown away or changed (lightweight battery, plastic covers for the engine, etc)

In the interior I'd only change the seats, if possible for lighter items, but especially for something more comfortable and supportive. If they are heavier I'd still get them, one of the only places where a weight increase would be allowed.

I'd cover the underbody of the car as much as possible to improve aerodynamics and I make changes to the body where possible to reduce drag but without changing substantially the appearance of the car. I'd install lightweight bodypanels where possible, if it didn't drive up the cost too much.

My target would be an increase of cost (for a mass production version of large volume car manufacturer) between 20 and 30% over the standard car. Anything that would go over the projected price would be discarded.

So, what would you do to your car if you had proper access to a car manufacturer's resources?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    On the Wifey's Kia, I'd have them re-tune the cam profiles and VVT actuation so the motor doesn't feel like such a sad sack. Maybe have them take a look at that soft torque converter too. It needs better response and seems to be a tick behind on its fuel economy as well. Or even better, get the 5-speed in there which was unavailable on any trim with air conditioning (if you have ever been to Texas, you know it's nigh on impossible to sacrifice a/c here). Also would have put an engine block heater on it. Oh and some more gauges. I like the standard tach, but...idiot lights for everything but fuel and speed? Bleagh. And this is a stretch, I'm sure, but I'd like to have the fuel filler door on the passenger side.
    EDIT: I'd also have the rear suspension retuned. The ride is rather stiff, which isn't my favourite thing but it does make the car feel nimble and also handles a load well. BUT on sudden direction changes, bumpy corners, or mid-corner braking/throttle lift, it seems to get overly squirrely and makes it hard to actually hustle this car around corners.

The Echo is a longer list...btw I am still working on a review for that one. I can't quite get it to sound the way I want.
    Last edited by jcp123; 03-19-2013 at 06:27 PM.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
    On the Wifey's Kia
    Oh God, man...

Please tell me that there is a Plan B for this.

Quote Originally Posted by LTSmash View Post
    Oh God, man...

Probably what we'll trade in for the next car. We need something bigger. Our Echo is paid for, reliable, gets off-the-charts gas mileage, and is practically worthless for a trade-in, so we are keeping it.

I STILL need to tear into the front end of the Mustang and get it rebuilt...I'll drive that sucker.

I STILL need to tear into the front end of the Mustang and get it rebuilt...I'll drive that sucker.
    You, sir, have redeemed yourself.

I was driving it until that curb happened...was my daily driver for 3 or 4 years.

Good luck on the Mustang front, jcp!

Though it's probably too early to start picking nits with my car there are a few things that would improve it. I guess modern technology would be cheating so I'll try to keep it mid-'80s kosher.

A sixth gear for higher-speed cruising, ITBs and better fuel injection, it's already a twincam so a four-valve head shouldn't be hard, and rather than an iron block an aluminum/alloy block would shed a hundred pounds and shift the weight back a little. Other than those important changes: slight changes to the side mirrors to reduce wind noise, a flat underfloor for aerodynamics, and better window seals (they are faulty by design, not age).

In '85 this would probably add 10-20% to its $16,000 price tag.
    Last edited by f6fhellcat13; 03-19-2013 at 09:24 PM.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

I forgot to add that I'd also get lightweight wheels (in the same size as standard) a bigger fuel tank (65-70 litres would be ok) and some latest-version wipers.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTSmash View Post
    Oh God, man...

Hey, they aren't that bad. Modern ones at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Good luck on the Mustang front, jcp!

Though it's probably too early to start picking nits with my car there are a few things that would improve it. I guess modern technology would be cheating so I'll try to keep it mid-'80s kosher.

A sixth gear for higher-speed cruising, ITBs and better fuel injection, it's already a twincam so a four-valve head shouldn't be hard, and rather than an iron block an aluminum/alloy block would shed a hundred pounds and shift the weight back a little. Other than those important changes: slight changes to the side mirrors to reduce wind noise, a flat underfloor for aerodynamics, and better window seals (they are faulty by design, not age).

In '85 this would probably add 10-20% to its $16,000 price tag.
    You car also needs more 80's graphics in contrasting white saying Twin Cam and Supra and things like that to improve it.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I'd fix the fuel level sensors, firm up the suspension just a little, put in an LSD and generally tighten things up. Probably whack in the S54 too. That's really all she needs.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Now that I actually think about it, the Echo's list would be pretty short. Better seats are at the top of the list. Also would reexamine the aerodynamics to maintain efficiency while increasing its poor stability, and maybe progressive rate springs out back to better cope with heavy loads. Move the gauge cluster to un front of the driver and add gauges. Lastly, put the fuel filler door om the passenger side.

Id attempt to get BMW back to their roots with a raw lightweight track car. Little to no sound dampening, no electric seats, I.E. heavy stuff. Basically what they attempted to do with the M3 GTS. Just lighter and cheaper. Heres what Id do:

E86 M Coupe chassis
    - swap the I6 for a stock 4.0 V8 motor (delimited mph)
    - short shift kit
    - full adjustable suspension
    - upgraded down pipes, exhaust
    - tastefully gutted out except AC and radio
    - Recaro seats
    - roll cage
    - front spoiler
    - fixed rear spoiler or larger adjustable rear wing option

VW Golf Mark IV: Never build it.

I'd fit a Mazda MX-5 Miata with a 20B rotary engine just for fun.

And then build a new NSX Type R in RHD from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    VW Golf Mark IV: Never build it.
    Por que? That's my favourite Golf

Por que? That's my favourite Golf
    Do you drive them?

Thread Information