Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restoring a '68 911 Targa Sportomatic

Restoring a '68 911 Targa Sportomatic

This is my wife's Targa which we got 6 years ago, and in June began a full restoration. I'm using shop labor for this one which is a luxury, but it's coming along fast and very nicely. Here's the progress from stripped to painted shell. Amazingly there was much less rust than anticipated (early 911s aren't galvanized) so only one patch to the pans. The front suspension pan needed replacement.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Painted the original Light Ivory, underside coated with Wurth schutz, and details of satin black for the engine compartment, trunk and cockpit transformed the bare tub. The suspension and engine tin was powder coated gloss black. Not correct but as this isn't meant for concours, the finish is much more durable.

Engine awaits control valves (for the sportomatic vacuum accumulator tank) but is otherwise ready. Over 200,000 miles with minimal wear, but needed new piston/ring set as the old rings were worn and no replacements are available; the piston design changed. Leakdown is less than 3%. The crank measured to spec after all those miles, not a mark on the journals! Gearbox was in similar condition so we just cleaned it up and re-sealed it.

Suspension now on, it's rolling with temporary wheels while exterior trim begins.
    Last edited by csl177; 02-16-2012 at 09:19 PM. Reason: spelling

that last pic has left a sudden urge to clean my engine up and stick ITB's on it..
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

It's a beauty, nice work!

Starting to look new.

You stated you bought the car 6 years ago. I'm assuming it was in less than perfect condition, but just how bad/not bad was it?
    Buy a car for you, not for other people

Just a nice solid driver bought cheap. Older repaint by the elderly original owner sometime in the '80s, he kept it garaged, serviced, etc.
    It's humid and rains alot here so when a couple of rust bubbles appeared and the odometer passed 200,000 it seemed a good time to freshen it up. Always dependable, and didn't owe us any money so it's getting what it deserves. Will post more shots tomorrow,
    could be finished in a couple of weeks.

Had a busy morning. Oil and vacuum accumulator tanks plus engine compartment pad in, rear valance seal and bumpers on, beginning dash reassembly. One of the cool things about restoring a car that was never damaged or previously restored is keeping things like factory build marks intact. The last shot is the grease pencil VIN from the assembly floor.

Completed!

Wow. It doesn't seem like it's been long, but certainly was more than a couple of weeks to finish this. Drove about 75 miles for shakedown today... so far, so good except a little vacuum leak after it's sat for an hour or so that affects the clutch engagement. It takes a minute or two at idle to fill the accumulator tank. Will spend tomorrow sorting that; since all the hoses, diaphram and connections are new it's just a matter of checking every spot vacuum could escape. The car is a delight, engine and suspension responsive and tight... and the custom AC system that came from the '70 911 a friend bought to track is ice cold. Check out the size of the condensor under the car! Cheap money spent to make this comfortable in the heat, and no noticable affect on performance of the 2.0 T motor which makes only about 120HP or so in it's slightly better than original tune. My wife's daily driver is comfortable and stylish, and she is thrilled with her brand-new 43 year old car. Now, I've got to finish her Mercedes... she wants to believe it'll be done in 2 weeks but realistically, 3 months.

A few more pics from the past 60 days... replaced the back seats with locking storage, sport seats are repro Recaros, original radio rebuilt with MP3 adapter, very rare original aluminum & wood steering wheel. Many small details that make this car usable every day. The one thing I didn't do was turn the odometer back... it's done more than 200,000 miles, and now it's ready for the next 200,000. An honest car.
    Last edited by csl177; 02-16-2012 at 09:22 PM. Reason: typo

Looking great, and with only 120 BHP the engine might run to the moon (and back).
    I spotted your upcoming project on the #5 picture of the first series. Isn't an F40 a little complicated for a first Ferrrari?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

It looks great csl! I hope your wife enjoys many miles driving it!

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Looking great, and with only 120 BHP the engine might run to the moon (and back).
    I spotted your upcoming project on the #5 picture of the first series. Isn't an F40 a little complicated for a first Ferrrari?
    Doesn't sound like much, does it? 120 won't get ya to the moon, but it only has to push around 2200lbs. That clapped out F40? The Targa's mechanical work was done at a shop that had some Italians laying about, as usual. The Brumos GT I traded the 911 racer on is underway now; it has to be ready for Rennsport in October... but FINALLY the trimmer is done with my Notchback. Have to take him the 280SL next week and will pick it up, he's north of Orlando but worth the 4 hour drive. It's looking like the 914/6 GT rally clone won't get any attention until next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    It looks great csl! I hope your wife enjoys many miles driving it!
    Thanks, Kitdy... she is stoked. It was worth the effort just for her reaction when we unveiled it.

Wow, that's a wonderful job there. Nice work!
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

^^^ I can't take credit for most of it, just the disassembly and parts of the trim and interior. And writing checks. Lots of checks.

Thread Information