View Poll Results: Which car will win the 2006 Wheels Car of the Year.

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alfa Romeo 159

5 8.47%
  • Audi Q7

3 5.08%
  • BMW 3-series Coupe

6 10.17%
  • Fiat Punto

4 6.78%
  • Holden Commodore VE

15 25.42%
  • Holden Statesman/Caprice WM

9 15.25%
  • Holden Captiva

0 0%
  • Honda Legend

3 5.08%
  • Mazda CX-7

2 3.39%
  • Mercedes S-Class

3 5.08%
  • Toyota Camry

1 1.69%
  • Toyota Aurion

6 10.17%
  • Toyota RAV4

0 0%
  • VW Passat

1 1.69%
  • VW Jetta

1 1.69%
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2006 Wheels Car of the Year: what will win in a very strong field?

I agree with what fpv said earlier, The V8 models can over come the omega being so down engine tranny wise, Little like the turbo with BA gave a little pick me up as it was the icing on the BA cake.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco
    Fiat are being imported by Ateko, the same company that is responsible for Ferrari and Maseratti - Maybe some of their pricing structure has rubbed off.......
    are the Fiats also being rebadged?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    are the Fiats also being rebadged?
    Doesn't the Punto look like a Maserati? Fiat Puntorati anyone?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by nota
    smells like inter-euro subsidies .. ()

Fiat Punto 1.9TD Emotion or Sport are AU$28k, VW Polo 1.9TD is $23k, VW Golf 1.9TD is $28k, Peugeot 307 1.6TD is $29.5k, Citroen C4 1.6TD and Holden/Opel Astra 1.9TD are $30k, Holden/Daiwoo Barina 1.4 petrol is $13.5k, Mitsu 380 3.8L V6 petrol is $28k (one AU$ = approx 60 euro cents)

[edit] here's a good online list of Oz car prices
    http://www.discountnewcars.com.au
    What strikes me is how cheap cars are down under. A Polo costs less than 14,000 Euros, and over 25,000 Euros over here (Holland)....while the cheapest version of the Astra 1.9 CDti is just under 26,000, compared to 18,000 in Oz.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

What strikes me is how cheap cars are down under. A Polo costs less than 14,000 Euros, and over 25,000 Euros over here (Holland)....while the cheapest version of the Astra 1.9 CDti is just under 26,000, compared to 18,000 in Oz.
    Here the cheapest Astra 1.9 CDTi costs 21.560 € and the cheapest Polo 1.9 TDI costs 16.550 €. Not as cheap as Australia but definitely cheaper than Holland. You've really high taxes on cars, don't you?
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    Here the cheapest Astra 1.9 CDTi costs 21.560 € and the cheapest Polo 1.9 TDI costs 16.550 €. Not as cheap as Australia but definitely cheaper than Holland. You've really high taxes on cars, don't you?
    yes, but that still does not explain why a Polo can cost almost half less in Ozland than overhere. (and we have of course a special mark up for diesel cars, because they pollute and the Government keeps a blind eye for cars fitted with particle filters, it would cost them money...)

I've made a bit of research and things aren't as clear as I thought regarding prices. The car I've taken as a base is the BMW 335i E90. And here are the preices on different countries:

-USA: 29.585 € (38.700 $)
    -Germany: 40.520 €
    -Japan: 44.130 € (6.680.000 Yen)
    -Spain: 44.900 €
    -UK: 45.715 € (£ 30,940)
    -Netherlands: 52.975 €
    -Australia: 61.845 € (104.000 Aus$)
    -Denmark: 95.810 € (714.000 DK)

Amaizingly North America gets increadibly cheap cars, way ahead everyone else. Interestingly regarding the countries we compared before, the trend is reversed, Australia now having the most expensive price, and Spain, now in the lead, still ahed of Holland with the cheapest price of the three. Denmark has a more expensive price than everyone else, probalby due to taxes.

In conclusion I suppose that high prices are a conjunction of high taxes plus transport costs, and that's why Holland, Australia and Denmark have such prices, while Germany has a much lower price even if still is in Europe (high taxes).
    Visca Catalunya!

I've made a bit of research and things aren't as clear as I thought regarding prices. The car I've taken as a base is the BMW 335i E90. And here are the preices on different countries:
    -Australia: 61.845 € (104.000 Aus$)
    and a mitsubishi 380 V6 costs only 28,000 AUD.....just wondering what BMW is thinking there....

Over AU$48,000 (28,800 Euro) there is another tax that is is added as a "Luxury Car Tax" that adds 17% to every dollar above that level.

Below that taxes are not too bad.
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

yes, but that still does not explain why a Polo can cost almost half less in Ozland than overhere.
    Probable reason for the price disparity is that our r/h/d Polos are sourced from low-cost South Africa. IIRC so too are non-GTi Golfs and Focus (except XR5) and likewise Hummer H3. Interestingly the previous-gen Polo debuted here a few years ago, then sourced from China; apparently we were the first Western 'test market' of Chinese-manufactured vehicles, but some quality glitches and public awareness of origin led to poor acceptance, hence re-sourced from SA

Our Honda Accord (the larger US variant, not Accord Euro) is manufactured in Thailand, as are almost all brands of smaller jap pickups. But the 4.0L V6 version of Mazda pickup/Ford Ranger twins are exported CKD from Thailand to South Africa, where they are assembled with SA-built V6s then shipped here!

Btw for a clearer example of European vs AU prices you might wish to use Ford Fiesta as an 'equal comparitor' as our Fiestas are imported FBU from Germany. This model is 9,000 euros here - how much elsewhere?
    http://www.discountnewcars.com.au/Fo...oor-1-6-WQ.cfm

Finally, it is amazing that a modest car like VW Polo costs 25,000+ euros in the Netherlands! It got me thinking how difficult it must be for those of modest means (including young people) to afford a decent new car, or even get into the new car market. Utes are a popular and affordable choice here for a wide spectrum of people and many of them view the ute as a sort of 'budget 2-seater sporty with a big boot'. Even the basic 6cyl models deliver good performance, have 'big car' durability and hold their value extremely well (vastly better than the equivalent sedan versions do).
    http://www.discountnewcars.com.au/Ho...Ute-3-6-VZ.cfm
    For example this one has 240hp quadcam & 6-speed manual, IRS with optional LSD & LPG etc. Here it costs the equivalent of 15,000 euros - a whopping 10,000 euros cheaper than poor Dutchies pay for the VW! The Falcon version is a bit cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco
    Over AU$48,000 (28,800 Euro) there is another tax that is is added as a "Luxury Car Tax" that adds 17% to every dollar above that level.
    I'm not sure of this, but was the Luxury Tax base level later raised to $55k or thereabouts?
    Last edited by nota; 11-24-2006 at 12:34 PM.

Will this award be biased towards Australian made cars my Australian homies?

Cuz if that's the case, then that Commodore will win, and even if it's not, I don't know enough about it to say that it won't.

Finally, it is amazing that a modest car like VW Polo costs 25,000+ euros in the Netherlands! It got me thinking how difficult it must be for those of modest means (including young people) to afford a decent new car, or even get into the new car market.
    the base 1.2 litre 55 bhp Polo costs only 13,000....I quoted the price for the 1.9 130 BHP Tdi 5 doors Sportline.

Amaizingly North America gets increadibly cheap cars, way ahead everyone else
    BMW manufactures a few models in America, not sure about the 3 series though, but the US tends to get cheaper cars than everywhere else. The US dollar is still kinda strong and their taxes are obviously lower due to a larger population.

and a mitsubishi 380 V6 costs only 28,000 AUD.....just wondering what BMW is thinking there....
    I very much doubt there's a lot of people cross shopping 3-series' and 380s. The 380 is considerably larger. Also, it's that cheap cause no one is buying them.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    The US dollar is still kinda strong.
    Ah, Haha. That's the first time I've heard anything of that nature in years. That makes me feal good. As for things being cheaper here, well we also have an outrageously low minimum wage which contributes to everything being cheaper, I haven't taken any economics so I can't explain that in too much deatail, but I am sure you understand.
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

I'm not sure of this, but was the Luxury Tax base level later raised to $55k or thereabouts?
    Last i heard it was at $57K. Mazda seemed rather pleased when they released the RX-8 to have it sell at $56,XXX, just escaping the tax.
    I am the Stig

Thread Information