Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2007 Bathurst 12 hour

2007 Bathurst 12 hour

This long Easter weekend marks the return of both production car racing and the Bathurst 12-hour race to the renowned Mount Panorama circuit at Bathurst in NSW, Australia.
    It has been 13 years since the last Bathurst 12-hour race for production cars was held in 1994. The race was run four times between 1991 and 1994. The first race was won by a Toyota Supra Turbo and then the Mazda RX7 won the 92-93-94 races. The race was well supported by various factory and privately entered teams. However various disputes arose as to which cars should be allowed to compete and what level of modifications, if any, should be allowed. The final race saw Lotus Esprits, Honda NSXs and Porsche 968s competing against RX7s, Supras, Mitsubishi 3000GTs, and the more common family sedan type car such as BMW's M5, various V8 Commodore and Falcons and 2-litre family sedans and hatches. There was huge fields, close racing and variety galore, but the introduction of the Lotus and Honda caused a number of manufacturers to call it quits on the race. There was a feeling that the original concept of a race for production cars that the average person could afford had been bypassed. The race collapsed under the problems of higher costs and political pressures and issues over the regulations.
    A great concept that never really took off.
    Of course, Bathurst has a history of production car racing going back to the 1960s. The Bathurst 1000 started out as a production car event until more modified cars started to appear in the mid 1970s.

Well, a new group of organisers are having another go at establishing the 12-hour race and production car racing at Bathurst again this year. And they are aiming to keep it more "production" based than last time. Well, at least that's what the organisers are saying.
    More on that in a minute.

This years race is open to production cars which are available for less than A$125,000. The aim of the price barrier was to keep out the high priced/high powered Lamborghinis, Porsches, Ferraris and other exotics.
    The cars will race on buffed street tyres, not slicks. And modifications are kept fairly tame (limited to blueprinting, chipping, some gearing alterations and electronic modifications).
    To cater for the huge variety of cars, a number of classes were set up.
    Class 1 is for High Performance Sedans (V8 HSV Commodores/FPV Falcons, BMW 335i Coupes, etc). Class 2 is for High Performance AWD (Subaru WRX STi, Mits Evo, etc). Class 3 is for Hot Hatches (Astra VXR, BMW 130i). Class 4 is for Production Sports and Touring Sedans (Holden Commodore SS/Falcon XR6T & XR8). Class 5 is for Production Hatch and Sedans (Mini Cooper, Integra, Celica, etc). Class 6 for "Micro" Sports and Coupes (BMW 120i, etc). Class 7 and 8 for diesels (Astra CDTi, Alfa 159 JTD).

Two manufacturers have supported the event with full factory entries. Subaru Australia has entered two WRX STi Spec C cars for Neil Crompton/Grant Denyer/Chris Alajajian and rally stars Chris Atkinson (of WRC fame)/Dean Herridge/Cody Croker.
    Holden has decided to support the event with factory cars as well, but not with HSV GTS or Commodore VY SS as originally expected. Instead, it has opted for one Astra VXR to be driven by V8 Supercar stars Jason Richards/Jack Perkins/Nathan Pretty/Shane Price and a Astra CDTi in the diesel class for Leanne Tander (wife of V8 Supercar driver Garth Tander and a very quick drive in her own right)/Samantha Reid/Christina Orr/Lauren Gray.

Several other manufacturers are offering support to private entries. Alfa will give support to the Alfa Romeo 159 2.4 JTD. Ford will offer some support to an aging Tickford TE50 and a newer FPV Falcon F6 Typhoon and also to V8 Supercar veteran John Bowe in a Falcon BA XR8. Mazda is also giving some support to a privately entered Mazda3 MPS.
    Finally, BMW and Mitsubishi will provide some level of unofficial backing to the 335i Coupes and various Evo 8 and 9s which are entered.

There are a total of 31 cars due to start the race at 5.45 am on Sunday morning. Favourites at this stage are the two factory Subarus and the two privately entered BMW 335i Coupes of Paul Morris/Craig Baird/Garry Holt and BArry Morcom/Beric Lynton/Chris Pither.
    BMW team owner, Garry Holt is predicting the powerful twin-turbo 335is will reach 280km/h on Conrod straight. The Morris/Baird combination is a top one as well - given both drivers are highly experienced V8 Supercar drivers.
    Other than the Astras mentioned above, there will also be three Falcons worth watching. John Bowe might spring a surprise in the XR8 - even though he says it is more of a class contender (it is in Class 4). The F6 Typhoon and the 2001 spec TE50 have reasonable driving lineups, but they don't have drivers of top class quality.
    Of the three Mitsubishi Evos entered, all have a chance, but the quickest is likely to be the Bob Pearson/Mark King/Mark Brame/Jaon Walsh car. Mark King is a former Australian GT Production car champion driving an EVO.
    Interestingly there is no representation from HSV except for the factory Astra. There was a Commodore VY Clupsport entered, but it has been withdrawn. There will be a privately entered VY SS racing in Class 4 against Bowe's XR8, but Holden/HSV representation is a little thin on the ground.

The full entry list is here: http://www.bimf.com.au/documents/Cla...,49&Pagecat=49.
    Details on the race here: http://www.bimf.com.au/home.asp

The field is not as good as expected. Originally, several manufacturers expressed interest in the event. Few of the expected entries materialised. There's a feeling that some manufacturers (such as Ford) are taking a wait and see approach and will likely support the event next year.
    Rumours of factory backed Mazda6 MPS or VW Golf GTi/R32 unfortunately didn't happen either. Mazda apparantly thinks that the cars are allowed too many modifications, and isn't willing to enter the event if it has to modify its cars to win.
    Also Lotus wanted to enter an Elige S in the event, but despite the car fitting under the price limit (its $115,000 in Australia), Lotus was told thanks, but no thanks. Apparantly the car is considered too exotic. Likewise, the Porsche Cayman was excluded.

So, for the first event, the questions over what should be and should not be accepted have already started.

The cars are meant to be production cars - as in off the showroom floor. However, the BMWs are rumoured to have something like 280kW rather than the standard car's 225kW. There has been some talk in motorsport forums that the turbos are not running standard boost. Then there's chipping of the engine, exhaust upgrade, gearing to allow for 280km/h, and so on. So, not exactly standard.

Now, I'll be heading up to the event. Politics and a slighly disappointing field aside, it should still be a great weekend. I'll be meeting with Nota over the weekend and will report back on the race. As well as the 12-hour race they're be supporting events for Australian GT and Sports Cars (Lambos, Ferraris, Vipers, etc), Historic Touring Cars and Utes. As well as classic and car club displays. I have no doubt it'll be a great weekend.

Now, time for my tip for the winner of the 12-hour race.
    The BMW 335i of Morris/Baird/Holt should take pole. I'll predict a time of 2m25sec in qualifying for the BMW (compared to a 2m07 lap time for a much more modified V8 Supercar). However, there are question marks over the car's reliability. Its the debut race for this car - in fact I believe its a World debut for the 335i Twin Turbo in motor racing. The Crompton/Denyer/Alajajian WRX will be the closest car to the lead 335i in qualifying. The second factory WRX and second 335i won't be too far behind.
    The rest of the top ten in qualifying will likely be filled by the Mitsubishi Evos and the FPV Falcon F6 Typhoon and Falcon TE50. The other car likely to make the top 10 I reckon will be the HSV Astra VXR.

However, for the race win, I'm not tipping the BMW. Nor the Subarus. Most pundits reckon one of the 335is or WRX Spec Cs will win. However, despite the obvious driving talent in the lead BMW and Subaru, I'm going to go out on a limb.
    I think that the factory entered HSV Astra VXR will win at the end of the day. Why? After all, its FWD whereas its opponents are RWD or AWD. It will also give away some 80kW to the BMW (I reckon the Astra might be up near 200kW in race trim). However, it does have the best driver lineup in the field. Jason Richards is probably the quickest driver in the field. The other three drivers in the car are all contracted Holden Motorsport drivers as well. A top driver can be worth 2-3 seconds a lap in this type of car and I reckon the VXR will lap at around the 2m30 mark. Not only will it qualify at this time, I reckon iit'll run 2m30 lap times all day - and all four drivers can do those times. It'll be easier on its brakes than the BMW/Subaru and make fewer stops as it will be more economical. The pit crew is likely to be drawn from V8 Supercar teams. And I expect it to be reliable. All this put together should more than make up for the fact that its ultimate lap time will be slower than the Subaru and BMW. However, I very much doubt that either the BMW or the Subaru can lap at 2m25 times in race trim. In race trim they will come back to the Astra.
    And while the BMWs and Subarus have good driver lineups - they don't quite match the lineup in the Astra.

So, there you have it. I think a FWD Astra piloted by professional drivers and crewed by professional pit crew will beat the faster Subarus and BMWs. And another tip - watch John Bowe. He may claim he's chasing a class win. However, I reckon a top 3 finish isn't out of the question....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by motorsportnerd; 04-09-2007 at 08:17 PM.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

wow, two diesel classes, will there be a BMW 120d? That can be chipped to well over 200 hp (I am not sure but I think they ran the Nuerburgring 24 hours with a 240 BHP car and came close to winning overall..
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    wow, two diesel classes, will there be a BMW 120d? That can be chipped to well over 200 hp (I am not sure but I think they ran the Nuerburgring 24 hours with a 240 BHP car and came close to winning overall..
    Imagine if they entered the brand new twin turbo 2-litre diesel which produces 204bhp and 400Nm in standard form...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Unfortunately, neither diesel class attracted much interest this year. Class 7 for over 3500 cc diesels attracted the Alfa 159 2.4 JTD entered by a Sydney Alfa dealer. Class 8 for under 3500cc diesels attracted the factory entered Holden (Opel) Astra CDTi.
    Each car is guaranteed to win its class - there being only one entry in each class.
    The Astra CDTi should finish top 10. Leanne Tander is a top driver, having won in Formula Fords, scored podium finishes in the V8 Supercar 2nd division catagory and is doing very well in Australian F3 racing. Christina Orr is a young NZ driver who is tipped to do well in coming years. And Lauren Gray has experience in Australian F3 racing. I don't know much about Samantha Reid. However, the driver lineup in the Astra CDTi is much, much better looking than the hairy blokes in the Astra VXR......

So, unfortunately, there's no BMWs in either diesel class. Surprising, as I expected BMW to be interested in the class. Maybe next year. Unfortunately the 330d is not sold in Australia - and that would likely be the BMW diesel of choice.
    Also, on paper the Audi A4 3.0 TDi Quattro, would have been a contender for outright victory. But again, none entered.
    BMW could have entered (maybe will enter next year) a 120d. However, I doubt that 240bhp would be possible under the current regs for the Bathurst 12 hour race. The cars that are racing are no where near as highly modified as those allowed in the Nurburgring 24 hour cars.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

why are the Alfa and the Astra not in the same class? The Alfa is 2400 cc the Astra 2 litre, both well below 3500....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

The Turbo equivalence factor. Most FIA touring car catagories use a x1.7 equivalence factor for turbo and rotary engines. And this event uses the same formula. The Astra would be 3,230cc (1,900 cc x 1.7) after the turbo equivalence factor, the Alfa would be 4,080 cc (2,400 cc x 1.7).
    Being a factory prepared car, the Astra will be well worth watching and is one of the dark horses for a top result. Especially as it won't have to stop that often compared to some of its rivals.
    The Alfa is privately entered by unknown drivers, so I wouldn't expect too much from it.
    Last edited by motorsportnerd; 04-09-2007 at 08:18 PM.

well, if the class is for diesels specifically they do not need to apply such a factor. I can't imagine that anyone would enter a non-turbo charged diesel....

You'd be right. However, I suspect the organisers are blinded by the word "turbo".
    Also, by having two classes and the turbo equivalence factor, both cars get a prize providing they finish - 1st in class.

My brother wanted t go to this, But being footy season we don't have weekends off.
    Would have been nice if it was Tuesday.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

I love production classes and expect the BMWs to be the class of the field. The 335s have been delivering hp way above standard rating on the dynos with with no mods, so it wouldn't be a surprise to get really strong figures with only a chip.

It's nice to see such an approach (limited mods, street tires, etc) but as always and everywhere, cheating bastard tactics and large wallets seem to jump at the chance of testing limits. Hope the BIMF are able to handle them and develop a fair and square rulebook.

Have fun at the races and bring back lots of photos!
    Zag when they Zig

I think Atkinson/Cocker/Herridge will pull it off.
    I am the Stig

wow, two diesel classes, will there be a BMW 120d?
    O/T, but there is a 120d campaigning in the BTCC this year - the first ever diesel car in the series.

It didn't seem to get off to a very good start; it was lapped in at least one of the opening rounds, but I think they are using this season for development.

www.teamafmracing.com

I'm surprised that, given the success of the petrol-powered version, the 320d wasn't chosen.

Quote Originally Posted by magracer View Post
    cheating bastard tactics and large wallets seem to jump at the chance of testing limits.
    You make your own luck, however you can.

Quote Originally Posted by magracer View Post
    It's nice to see such an approach (limited mods, street tires, etc) but as always and everywhere, cheating bastard tactics and large wallets seem to jump at the chance of testing limits. Hope the BIMF are able to handle them and develop a fair and square rulebook.

Dont worry, Walkinshaw's sticking to the V8 Supercars these days
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks View Post
    ]

I'm surprised that, given the success of the petrol-powered version, the 320d wasn't chosen.
    I guess the 120 is slightly less heavy...

I guess the 120 is slightly less heavy...
    But in a formula such as BTCC I don't think the slightly reduced weight would compensate for the longer wheelbase and wider track of the 3-series, especially as I've read many reviews panning the 1-series' rear suspension

Thread Information