Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: V8 Supercars: Round 13 Eastern Creek, Big Pond Grand Finale

V8 Supercars: Round 13 Eastern Creek, Big Pond Grand Finale

Eastern Creek facts, figures and track description
    Release Date: 29/11/2004
    The following is a detailed lap of the Eastern Creek circuit to be used as the venue for the final round of the 2004 V8 Supercar Championship Series this weekend. Also find following thoughts, results and memorable moments relating to this venue from both Pirtek Racing’s Marcos Ambrose and Caltex Racing’s Russell Ingall.

INTERESTING POINTS
    * Marcos Ambrose can clinch back-to-back championships in his Pirtek Falcon this weekend if he finishes no more than 14 places behind Greg Murphy in any of the three races.
    * Network Ten will show Saturday night's race in prime time for the first time - the telecast will be from 6pm-7.30pm
    * Russell Ingall currently sits fourth in the championship, but is very capable of finishing second in his Caltex Falcon - If Ambrose clinches the championship this would give Stone Brothers Racing a rare 1-2 series finish
    * In five previous round appearances at Eastern Creek Ambrose has only qualified off the front row once and has never finished worse than seventh overall. In his nine race starts he has never finished worse than 13th
    * Russell Ingall is coming off a high after winning the last round at Symmons Plains in Tasmania

EASTERN CREEK – A LAP WITH MARCOS AMBROSE

As you cross the start finish line half way down the long main straight, you are doing around 270kph, but you are already starting to set yourself up for the fast left hander which is turn one.
    The straight actually continues down into the start of the drag strip and as you turn left you actually feel like you are heading down a side road in fourth gear. That is actually a bit of an illusion because the track widens up as you go through the corner.
    It is then into the left-hand hairpin which is actually fairly long and wide, but still a first-gear corner. There are two or three different lines through here, depending on how your car is working. There is a rise on the exit, which makes the car quite light and easy to spin the rear wheels.

It is then up to the quick right-hander, building speed as you go. Initially the car is well settled, but by the time the corner is over you are doing around 160kph and the car squirms because of the speed you have carried through it.

You then go down the short back straight and over a rise where the wheels leave the ground and the car becomes very light, this is a bit of fun. It is then into a quick down change to a right and left-hander which you treat as one.

Out the left hander and you are into a technical part of the track with a series of left and right handers before getting to another hairpin – There are another 10 gear changes before reaching this point. This is tricky because the road drops away. If you carry too much speed you will just not make the inside apex. I think this is where Mick Doohan and Alex Barros came off in a GP a few years ago.

You then shoot up to the last corner where you need to take the late apex to come on to the straight and have a straight line as soon as possible. You need to get on to the power early and drag top gear immediately. The downhill run helps.

If everything goes to plan you should clock a lap around the one minute and 31-second mark.

THOUGHTS ON EASTERN CREEK…..

MARCOS AMBROSE – PIRTEK RACING
    Eastern Creek is a frustrating track because whenever you ever drive on it, it feels like you should be going the other way. All the corners over the back all have kinks before the entry, which makes it difficult to pass. While saying that, it is safe, wide and has good amenities for the fans and the teams, so I actually enjoy going there. It is a little extra special after finally breaking HRT’s grip on the track last season.

MOST MEMOR ABLE MOMENT
    There is no doubt that the most memorable moment at Eastern Creek came for me last season when I finally lifted up that championship trophy. Eastern Creek had been an HRT circuit for sometime, so it was nice to win there in May and then wrap-up the championship on such a dramatic weekend that really had everything – including a massive downpour at the end of the race, which took out a lot of the power at the circuit.

CHAMPIONSHIP RESULTS
    Current Points: 1982 (1st)
    Debut: 2001
    Starts: 51
    Poles: 15 – Queensland 300, Eastern Creek (2004); Sandown, Oran Park, Queensland Raceway, Winton, Eastern Creek (2003); Phillip Island, Oran Park, Winton, Qld 500, Sandown (2002); Eastern Creek, Qld 500, Bathurst (2001)
    Race wins: 18 (Last win – Race 2 – Symmons Plains, 2004)
    Round wins: 12 – Sandown 500, Oran Park, Queensland 300, Adelaide Clipsal 500 (2004); Eastern Creek, Oran Park, Hidden Valley, Barbagallo, Winton, Eastern Creek (2003), Sandown (2002); Hidden Valley (2001)

EASTERN CREEK RECORD
    2004 – May - Qualified: 1st; Race 1: 7th; Overall: 7th
    2003 – November - Qualified 4th; Race 1: 1st; Race 2: 1st; Overall: 1st
    2003 – May - Qualified 1st; Race 1: 1st; Overall 1st
    2002 – Qualified 2nd; Race 1: 2nd; Race 2: 2nd; Race 3: 4th; Overall: 2nd
    2001 – Qualified 1st; Race 1: 13th; Race 2: 6th; Overall: 7th

THOUGHTS ON EASTERN CREEK…..

RUSSELL INGALL – CALTEX RACING
    Eastern Creek is a little bit like Phillip Island in that if you have a dog of a car it is not a nice place to be. Considering it is not one of my favourite circuits I always have reasonable results there. It is not a hard track to win on if you have the right toy to play with.

MOST MEMORABLE MOMENT
    While it was neither a proud moment for either of us, obviously the incident between myself and Mark Skaife in the final round last year was certainly a memorable one – but one I would rather forget.

CHAMPIONSHIP RESULTS (After Round 1, 2004)
    Current Points: 1782 (3rd)
    Debut: 1996
    Starts: 107
    Poles: 1 Winton (2001)
    Race wins: 24 (Last Win – Race 1, Hidden Valley, Darwin, 2004)
    Round wins: 11 – Symmons Plains (2004); Surfers Paradise (2003) Queensland Raceway (2003), Winton (2001); Qld 500 (1999); Lakeside, Mallala, Hidden Valley (1998); Phillip Island, Winton (1997); Calder (1996)

TRACK FACTS – EASTERN CREEK
    Venue: Eastern Creek Raceway, Sydney, NSW
    2004 Race format: Top 10 Shootout; 1 x 26 lap race (Saturday night); 2 x 39 races with compulsory tyre stops (Sunday)
    Circuit Length: 3.43km
    Circuit Direction: Anti-clockwise
    Average Speed: 154.2kph
    Maximum Speed: 260-270kph
    Qualifying Record: Mark Skaife (Holden Commodore, 1999) 1:30.6550
    Lap Record: Mark Skaife (Holden Commodore, 1999) 1:31.7301

CHAMPIONSHIP POINTS (After Round 12)
    *Adjusted after CAMS ruling on race three in Tasmania
    1: Marcos Ambrose (Ford) 1982
    2: Greg Murphy (Holden) 1825
    3: Jason Bright (Holden) 1816
    4: Russell Ingall (Ford) 1776
    5: Rick Kelly (Holden) 1701
    6: Steven Richards (Holden) 1661
    7: Todd Kelly (Holden) 1513
    8: Jason Bargwanna (Ford) 1402
    9: John Bowe (Ford) 1400
    10: Garth Tander (Holden) 1320

WEEKEND SCHEDULE - ROUND 13, 2004
    Friday December 3
    10.30am-11.15am – Practice
    1.15pm-1.50pm – Practice

Saturday December 4
    11.40am-Noon – Practice
    1.40pm-2pm – Bottom 50% qualifying
    2.05pm-2.25pm – Top 50% qualifying
    4.05pm-4.35pm – Top 10 Shootout
    6.30pm- 26 Laps (Race 1)

Sunday December 5
    10am-10.20am – Warm-up
    12.30pm – 39 Laps (Race 2)
    3.40pm – 39 Laps (Race 3)

TV TELECAST - NETWORK TEN
    Saturday, December 4:
    • 4.00pm - 5.00pm: Top Ten Shootout
    • 6.00pm - 7.30pm: Race 1

Sunday, December 5:
    • 1.00pm - 5.00pm. Race 2 & 3
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am the Stig

Driver Sackings

Another interesting thing is that on rpm they said 4-5 drivers will be sacked this week or the week after the Finale. I wounder who will go

You've already mentioned that elsewhere...

So far the only thing close to a confirmed sacking is a mutual agreement between 888 and Max Wilson for him to leave the team after the final round
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    You've already mentioned that elsewhere...

So far the only thing close to a confirmed sacking is a mutual agreement between 888 and Max Wilson for him to leave the team after the final round
    have i sorry

Easy now rude boys

Quote Originally Posted by jaybonzi
    Another interesting thing is that on rpm they said 4-5 drivers will be sacked this week or the week after the Finale. I wounder who will go
    Do you have any hard facts on this? RPM mentioned a number of drivers who are changing teams next year. Not one of them was sacked.

The drivers mentioned on RPM were:
    Greg Murphy, moving from K-Mart Racing to PWR Racing.
    Paul Radisich, moving from Triple 888 Racing to Team Kiwi Racing.
    Garth Tander, moving from GRM Motorsport to K-Mart Racing.
    Craig Lowndes, moving from Ford Performance Racing to Triple 88 Racing.
    Glen Seton, moving from Ford Performance Racing to Dick Johnson Racing.
    Craig Baird, moving from Team Kiwi Racing to WPS Motorsport.

That's six drivers moving teams. I think that is what you heard.

Also, two other drivers were mentioned who are coming into the series.
    Andrew Jones will race for GRM Motorsport.
    Greg Ritter has signed for Ford Performance Racing.

Finally, there was a lot of rumours regarding which team Jason Bright is moving to (likely to be Ford Performance Racing).

I repeat, none of those moves involved a driver been sacked. The were all end of contract moves.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

There seems to be a bit of a trend between HRT, Kmart and PWR switching drivers.

Todd Kelly moved from Kmart to HRT
    Jason Bright moved from HRT to Team Brock which turned into PWR
    Rick Kelly moved from HRT (i think it was the Holden Young Lions car) to Kmart
    Now Greg Murphy's moving from Kmart to PWR after being at HRT..
    I am the Stig

Well, all three teams were part of the TWR group at the start of last year. They are under separate ownership now, but I suspect some technology sharing goes on. Also, I think PWR still uses at least one ex-HRT car. So, probably no surprise about the drivers swapping around within the teams.

Also, read today in Auto Action that Rick Kelly still has not agreed terms with K-Mart for next year. Sticking point is apparantly money.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

yeah i was thinking some of the TWR links would still be there, plus theyre regarded as Holdens best teams, i think theyre all featured on HSV's website. i think with Ford, they seem to refer to FPR as much as possible, and Ambrose seems to only be used in the publicity as he, like Lowndes, is contracted to Ford not just the team.

i forgot to mention before, i saw something about Jamie Whincup apparently becoming the 2nd driver for Tasman Motorsport, do you know anything about that?

Thats a bit of a surprise for Rick actually, its his parents that own the team afterall isnt it? Perhaps with Murphy leaving he wants the money to reflect his leadership status in the team or something
    I am the Stig

I didn't read the full article on Rick Kelly unfortunately - just the first sentence. I was quickly checking Auto Action on my way home. I don't usually buy it.

Also, yes it has been confirmed that Jamie Whincup is driving for Team Tasman next year. That was also mentioned on RPM, so that makes three new drivers in the series next year, not two. Not only that, the team is moving from Sydney to Melbourne.

Now, perhaps the driver Jaybonzi was thinking of was Dale Brede? He hasn't been resigned to Team Dynamic yet.

whatever it is, im sure it'll be resolved quickly as i doubt there'll be too many opportunities left for him if it ends the wrong way..

i know Whincup joined Perkins for the enduro's this year, but hadnt he mentioned something earlier this year about him driving full time next year, or was it more speculation?
    I am the Stig

I think that was speculation. Perkins has resigned Dumbrell on a multi year contract, though.

Details

Quote Originally Posted by motorsportnerd
    Do you have any hard facts on this? RPM mentioned a number of drivers who are changing teams next year. Not one of them was sacked.

The drivers mentioned on RPM were:
    Greg Murphy, moving from K-Mart Racing to PWR Racing.
    Paul Radisich, moving from Triple 888 Racing to Team Kiwi Racing.
    Garth Tander, moving from GRM Motorsport to K-Mart Racing.
    Craig Lowndes, moving from Ford Performance Racing to Triple 88 Racing.
    Glen Seton, moving from Ford Performance Racing to Dick Johnson Racing.
    Craig Baird, moving from Team Kiwi Racing to WPS Motorsport.

That's six drivers moving teams. I think that is what you heard.

Also, two other drivers were mentioned who are coming into the series.
    Andrew Jones will race for GRM Motorsport.
    Greg Ritter has signed for Ford Performance Racing.

Finally, there was a lot of rumours regarding which team Jason Bright is moving to (likely to be Ford Performance Racing).

I repeat, none of those moves involved a driver been sacked. The were all end of contract moves.
    Neil Crompton and Bettie said it near the end of the program in there f1 an v8 supercar news segment. and dosen't the Mercury Meta One Concept look like a copy of the ford territory.
    Last edited by jaybonzi; 11-30-2004 at 09:42 PM.

Well, all the positions for next year are locked solid. I think Crompton was probably talking about various drivers having their last drive for their current team.
    Crompton has never gone into speculation on TV in the past without naming names. What names did he mention?

Come on - name names.

Quote Originally Posted by motorsportnerd
    Well, all the positions for next year are locked solid. I think Crompton was probably talking about various drivers having their last drive for their current team.
    Crompton has never gone into speculation on TV in the past without naming names. What names did he mention?

Come on - name names.
    no he said that he is not sure about names but there are roumers that 4-5 more driver could go this week.

Thread Information