Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What do you think?

With the recent discovery (on my part) of a few new technologies I have decided that I will be making a prototype with a few of them changed with a few adjustments and changes from my own ideas.

My very basic idea is that the motor will be a 1000cc displacement inline 4.
    crankshaft will be replaced by counter rotating cams ala REVETEC but they will have only 2 lobes 180 degrees from each other and there is a lip added to the high points to keep the piston from going to high.
    it will run on basic 2 stroke diesel mode with ports in the cylinder wall for intake and 2 coates rotary valves for exaust at the top. I plan to make it a short stroke and wide bore dimensions. I want to make it a 4 throw system. direct injection by a constant pressure mechanical system. I hope that this combination will give me a high reving (6-7000 RPM) diesel motor with healthy HP ratings. For intake I hope to use a small turbo for lag free pickup from idle and then switch to a larger turbo after 3800RPM all the way to redline!!!

I am just wondering what you guys think and if anyone has some helpfull tips or ideas.
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it
    Engine torque is an illusion.

It's been done.
    "'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'

Quote Originally Posted by sleekeywoowoo
    It's been done.
    what has been done???

are you reffering to a single technology or the whole package?

cause I havenot seen anything like this built!
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it

Quote Originally Posted by hightower99
    what has been done???

are you reffering to a single technology or the whole package?

cause I havenot seen anything like this built!
    Nothing, I just felt like bringing you down. You know how it is, somebody has a great idea goes into great detail for the longest time and than gets shot down by .. 'It's been done'

My apologies,
    -Sleekeywoowoo
    "'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'

Quote Originally Posted by sleekeywoowoo
    Nothing, I just felt like bringing you down. You know how it is, somebody has a great idea goes into great detail for the longest time and than gets shot down by .. 'It's been done'

My apologies,
    -Sleekeywoowoo
    not really any need to apologise because in your own funny way I can see that as a compliment!

Like the sound of your plans
    One thing, you may need something other than the turbo to scavenge the engine. Ive never looked at 2-stroke diesels in any great depth, but all the ones Ive seen use a crankshaft driven blower. As I understand it, the exhaust valve is opened relatively early, so the escaping exhaust should be able to drive the turbo, which is fine when the engine is running. However, you might have problems actually starting it Maybe have an electric assist on your small turbo?

What engine are you basing it on or are you starting from scratch? Love to see pics once you start

I'm not up on REVETEC, how exactly do you do away with the crankshaft. I know electronically actuated valves are in the works but what can manage the forces a crankshaft handles? Please explain.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

i think what you think!!!!!!!!! go for it!
    Some Rulers Are Immortalized In Marble Others,
    In Carbon Fiber.{Hard Core Audi Fan}Ich Fahr Omnibus!
    """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAdv
    I'm not up on REVETEC, how exactly do you do away with the crankshaft. I know electronically actuated valves are in the works but what can manage the forces a crankshaft handles? Please explain.
    well instead of a solid crankshaft that rotates this motor will have 2 counter rotating cams (just like normal camshafts in a car) and the piston will ride on the cams with a ballbearing roller. However there will be 2 lobes or highpoints instead of one and this will allow the motor to fire each cylinder twice every revolution in 2 stroke diesel mode. I want to make it into a 4 throw system which means that each cylinder fires at a different point in the revolution meaning that there will always be one cylinder firing and that there will be 8 power pulses per revolution. These ideas should make for an incredibly smooth high RPM system (6-7000RPM) I am planning on over 200HP at redline with 12lbs of boost. I also hope to run a good 20:1 or higher compression ratio.

thanks for the support guys

but I would still like some ideas or suggestions maybe some constructive critiscism?

The obvious question (to me anyway) is why are you making it?

firstly to see if it will work as well as I think (and hope) it will and also becuase I may stick it in a car if it works well enough!

Hold on, you are 17 years old and fabricating your own engines completly from scratch? That doesn't sound plausable to me.

Where is all did all this money come from that bought you a small factory that not only has the facilitys to cast extremely complitated engine blocks, but you also have all the precision engineering equipment required to fettle your three prototypes into working engines, this is a billion dollar industry you are playing in! Where is this factory and why aren't you making custom parts for customers? How can a 17 year old hold the knowledge required to design and build an engine nobody else has ever thought of all on your own?
    Nobody can do all that, manufacturers don't employ one man to make their prototypes because it can't be done.

Quote Originally Posted by h00t_h00t
    Hold on, you are 17 years old and fabricating your own engines completly from scratch? That doesn't sound plausable to me.

Where is all did all this money come from that bought you a small factory that not only has the facilitys to cast extremely complitated engine blocks, but you also have all the precision engineering equipment required to fettle your three prototypes into working engines, this is a billion dollar industry you are playing in! Where is this factory and why aren't you making custom parts for customers? How can a 17 year old hold the knowledge required to design and build an engine nobody else has ever thought of all on your own?
    Nobody can do all that, manufacturers don't employ one man to make their prototypes because it can't be done.
    firstly my 3 working prototypes are rotary engines. They are all small (about 100cc) and i built them using my lathe and mill for this big engine I will most likely use the block from a 1.9L TD from VW and modify it I will make most of the other things myself with a lathe or mill. My dad isn't very rich and he doesn't work in the industry. However he is a very talented machinist and he knows where to get the good metal at cheap prices. (my engine will have titanium connecting rods!)

and I do not work all be myself I always have my dad and a few older friends that help me out.

You gotta admit he knows what he's talking about. Maybe he's got a rich dad in the industry or something who will let him do it and fund it all, you never know.

Good luck hightower, hope it works out for you.

With a decent lathe and milling tools you dont' need to cast.
    Also one person can do the work of hundreds, it just takes one hundred times longer.
    I saw some of the prototype BDA heads, they look like they'd been put toegether with lego by a 10 year old. BUT they did the job !! THe "production" units were cast.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Thread Information