Thread: Mazda6 2.3 v Ford Mondeo 2.0 v Toyota Camry Sportivo - motorsportnerd's road test

Mazda6 2.3 v Ford Mondeo 2.0 v Toyota Camry Sportivo - motorsportnerd's road test

In the past year, I have had the fortune to drive long distances in New Zealand in these three roughly comparable cars, so I thought I share my opinions on them.
    The oldest of the three cars is the Ford Mondeo. First released in Europe in late 2000, the Mondeo was introduced to the New Zealand market in mid-2001. This was the first of a new generation of mid-size cars that made driver enjoyment as much of a priority as practicality. The Mondeo is long in the tooth in late 2006, with a new model due to be released early in 2007. However, despite its age, it is still one of the class leaders.
    The Mazda6 and Toyota Camry were both released in 2002. The Camry I drove is the just superseded model. The Mazda6 I drove was the pre-facelift four-speed auto model.
    The Mazda6 helped to revolutionize not just the mid-size class, but also led to a stunning turnaround in Mazda’s image. The previous 626 was a solid, dependable, practical sort of car, but not particularly exciting. The new Mazda6 changed this. The Mazda6 and Mondeo share some common floorplan components, so its no surprise that, like the Mondeo, it is a genuine driver’s car. Combine this with great exterior and interior styling, powerful engines and the usually Mazda attributes of practicality, reliability and quality, and one can understand why they have been such a sales success.
    The Camry had the misfortune to be launched at the same time as the much more visually exciting Mazda6. Toyota made bold claims at the time that this Camry was the one to finally rid the Camry nameplate of its “refrigerator on wheels” blandmobile reputation. Well, if you listen to most enthusiasts, Toyota clearly failed to turn around the Camry’s reputation with this car. Another all-new Camry has just been released – once again Toyota is making bold claims that this time the new Camry is a genuinely exciting driver’s car that will finally see the Camry’s reputation as an appliance on wheels consigned to the dustbin of history. We’ll see. I haven’t driven the new model Camry yet.
    Why even report on the old, superseded Camry? Well, for two reasons. First, to give my opinion as to whether the Camry’s poor reputation amongst enthusiasts is deserved. And second, because like the other two cars, many people will consider this shape Camry as a second hand purchase. Therefore, how well it goes is still relevant to anyone who might be considering purchasing one of these cars second hand.
    PRICING/EQUIPMENT/VALUE FOR MONEY

Since I drove the three cars in New Zealand, it is best I use New Zealand price and equipment levels as a reference point.
    The Mazda6 I drove was the mid-spec GSX model. In New Zealand, the Mazda6 ranges starts with the 2.0 litre GLX sedan priced at NZ$38,245. The GSX model is next up and is available as either a sedan, hatch or station wagon. I drove a sedan, straight off the Hertz fleet. The GSX sedan is priced at NZ$41,225 (or $42,975 for the auto) and for that it features a 2.3 litre 16-valve DOHC four cylinder engine putting out 122kW. Standard equipment on the GSX includes 16-inch alloys, power steer, 6-speaker stereo, ABS, six airbags (dual front, dual side, dual curtain), cruise control, climate air conditioning, trip computer, electric driver’s seat, electric windows and mirrors, leather steering wheel and transmission lever and remote central locking. The rental I drove was equipped with a four-speed tiptronic automatic transmission. The range topper is the NZ$48,000 Sporthatch Ltd, which gains leather seats and traction control amongst other goodies.
    The Ford Mondeo I drove was also straight off the Hertz fleet. This time it was the base of the NZ Mondeo range that I drove. The base model is available as a sedan or a station wagon. I drove the sedan which is priced at NZ$37,790 (or NZ$39,120 for the auto that I drove). For that you get a 2.0 litre 16-valve DOHC four cylinder engine putting out 105kW. Standard equipment includes ABS, four airbags (dual front and side), cruise control, power steering, air conditioning, electric windows and mirrors, 6-speaker stereo and remote locking. The auto is a basic four-speed without tiptronic mode. The mid-spec Mondeo the Zetec version, priced at $40,590 and available only as a 5-door hatch. The Zetec picks up 16-inch alloys, a trip computer, climate air condition and six airbags, but still doesn’t offer a tiptronic feature for the automatic. It also retains the 2.0 litre engine as against the more powerful 2.3 in the comparable spec Mazda6.
    The version of the Toyota Camry Sportivo that I drove has now been discontinued from the new car price lists. It was available for NZ$38,900, which represented excellent value against the Mondeo and Mazda6. The Sportivo was as a sedan only and was the mid-spec in the Camry range (the base model was NZ$36,250and featured a 2.4 litre 16-valve DOHC four cylinder engine putting out 112kW. Standard equipment included a rather tacky body kit (front and rear spoilers and side skirts), 16-inch alloys, four airbags (dual front and side), ABS, power steer, air conditioning, leather steering wheel and transmission lever, 6-speaker stereo, electric windows and mirrors, cruise control and a trip computer.
    Its worth noting that the Mazda6 is imported from Japan, the Mondeo from Belgium and the Camry from Australia. This goes a long way to explaining the cheaper pricing for the Camry, since New Zealand and Australia have a long-standing free trade agreement in place.
    On the second hand market in NZ, a 2003 model Mondeo or Camry can be bought for about NZ$15,000 and the Mazda6 for about NZ$19,000. The Mondeo doesn’t retain quite as good resale as the other two. Clearly, as second hand buys, all three represent much better value for money than they do as new purchases. Which explains why virtually all of these cars are bought new in NZ by fleets rather than private buyers.
    So, the Camry wins the pricing/equipment/value for money section. It is as well equipped as the Mazda6, but nearly $5,000 cheaper as a new car. And as a second hand car, with Toyota’s reputation for longevity, the Camry is even better value.

Points: Camry - 6 (as a new car)/9 (as a used car); Mazda6 - 5 (as a new car)/8 (as a used car); Mondeo - 4 (as a new car)/8 (as a used car).

PRACTICALITY/QUALITY/ACCOMMODATION/COMFORT

All three of these cars excel in this category. Transporting a small family or a sales rep along with their luggage for large distances, in comfort is what these cars do well.
    In common for all three cars are comfortable seating, with a good seating position easy to find in all three. There is plenty of legroom front and rear in all three, though the longer Camry scores with more rear seat space and a bigger boot than the other two.
    The Mondeo scores with the best overall refinement of the three. The cabin is commendably quiet, the suspension isolates and smooths all bumps and there is no tyre noise. Engine noisy is normally muted and refined enough, but when revved hard, the 2.0 litre engine was a little harsh and noisy. The Mondeo was designed for European motorways and it really is a very refined car.
    The Camry is also commendably quiet, but in Sportivo spec with its sports-tuned suspension, the ride is firmer and more fidgety than the Mondeo. There is also a noticeable degree of tyre and road noise transmitted to the cabin. The engine however is impressively quiet and refined.
    The Mazda6 unfortunately is not particularly refined. In the pre-facelift model I drove, there was just too much tyre and road noise transmitted to the cabin – much more noticeable and wearisome than in the Camry. The engine also transmits more noise to the cabin than the other two – at least it has a sporty, hard edged flavoursome note to it that an enthusiast would appreciate.
    As the oldest design of the three, it is no surprise that the Mondeo has the worst ergomonics. The design of the dashboard is noticeable out of date and the pastics are poor quality. The steering wheel features controls for the stereos, but the placement and operation of them defies logic. Also strange is that there is no internal release for the bonnet. Opening the bonnet involves twisting the Ford badge in the grille, and then inserting a key to unlock the bonnet. And to work it out involves a read of the drivers manual. Like many European cars, the Mondeo doesn’t have an internal boot release. Also, there are fewer storage places and cupholders than the other two.
    There isn’t much to complain about with the Camry’s interior and ergonomics. Everything is where it should be. All the controls operate with a quality feel expected of a Toyota. The dashboard display is clear and legible. The plastics are high quality and obviously durable (the rental I drove had over 50,000km on the clock but you wouldn’t have known). The only down side is the design of the dashboard is unappealing and the centre consol doesn’t match up properly with the transmission tunnel.
    The Mazda6 is the nicest of the three cars to sit in. The dashboard design looks good. Everything falls to hand and is easy to operate. The controls and plastics have a quality feel. The only minor downside is that there was mo steering wheel mounted controls for the trip computer was a long reach from the driver at the top of the central consol. Also, my cousin commented that the bright orange illumation of the dashboard at night was not exactly pleasing to the eye – especially when drunk.
    So, the Mondeo has the best overall refinement but the worst ergonomics. The Mazda6 has the best interior and ergonomics and has the nicest, albeit also the noisiest cabin. The Camry is squarely in the middle – the second most refined of the three and second best interior and ergomonics.

Refinement: Mondeo - 9, Camry – 7.5, Mazda6 - 6
    Cabin/Ergonomics/Quality: Mazda6 – 9, Camry - 8, Mondeo – 5
    Comfort: Mondeo – 8, Mazda6 – 8, Camry – 8
    Last edited by motorsportnerd; 10-31-2006 at 07:22 PM.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

I didn’t have a stop watch, so I can only repeat other sources for performance times.
    However, of the three, the Mazda6 clearly had the best, most energetic and enjoyable engine. Road tests suggest a 0-100km/h time of around 9.5 seconds for the automatic. It felt quicker to me. The engine spins sweetly all the way to the redline. The transmission is excellent, well matched to the engine and will hold gears up to the redline if used in tiptronic mode. The new 5-speed would be even better. The engine has a hard-edged, sporty note too it. There is plenty of mid-range acceleration for overtaking. This is also a very flexible and smooth engine with plenty of power and torque throughout the rev-range and not just at the top end like so many other four-cylinder engines. I’d go as far as to say, the Mazda6 has the best non-turbo four cylinder engine that I have experienced. The engine really does help to make it an engaging car and enjoyable car to drive hard.
    The Camry is next. The 2.4 litre engine isn’t a honey in the way the Mazda’s 2.3 litre engine is. But it performs well enough. The engine is smooth and responsive enough for overtaking. It doesn’t feel like it will set the world on fire with acceleration times (0-100km/h is just under 10 seconds for the manual, so the auto will be slower). The transmission lacks a tiptronic mode – instead using an old fashioned power/economy switch. However, through a tight, twisty uphill section near my parent’s place it was happy to hold second gear when changed manually without the computer over-riding me. The transmission is reasonable, but doesn’t change gears as smoothly as the 6. However, I was much more impressed with the Camry’s engine and performance than I expected to be.
    The Mondeo’s performance isn’t exactly a disappointment. It is the least powerful of the three cars after all and gives away 300 cc to the Mazda. Its also the oldest design. However, the Mondeo’s engine isn’t in the same league as the Camry’s let alone the Mazda’s engine. Sure, its smooth enough, but it is a little harsh when revved. It doesn’t exactly feel like its setting the world on fire for acceleration times either. At least it is willing to rev to the redline and it is certainly flexible enough with decent in-gear acceleration. The transmission also feels a generation behind the Mazda, with the occasional harsh upchange. It hunts around for gears more than the others too, probably a consequence of the engine’s relative lack of power. Basically, the Mondeo’s engine feels a generation behind the Mazda’s. It’s a competent engine, but doesn’t excite in any way, and would probably be much better matched to a manual gearbox than an auto. And it’s a pity that the Mondeo’s engine isn’t so good – because as we’ll see, it has excellent dynamics. Pity it doesn’t have the engine to make it a really engaging driver’s car.

DYNAMICS

This is the tale of the hard-edged racer’s car (Mazda6) and the overall all-round brilliance of a car let down slightly by its engine (Mondeo).
    The Mazda6 and Mondeo both have brilliant dynamics. Forget the fact they’re front wheel drive – these cars will out-corner many cars with supposedly better reputations as drivers cars (think BMW and Audi).
    I find it hard to separate the two cars dynamically.
    The Mazda6 is a really engaging, sporting car to corner hard in. It turns in confidently and neutrally. The steering is accurate, well weighted, sharp and responsive. There’s no understeer and it is easy to place in corners, going exactly where pointed. The car will haul hard out of corners, with plenty of traction. The car’s handling feels and is exciting. It feels racy, confident and makes the driver want to tackle every corner like it’s a race circuit. However, it may be a tad to stiff in its set up. The ride is certainly firm – maybe too firm for a family car. It also transmits bumps to the passenger. Mid corner bumps in particular do upset the Mazda a tad causing mild bump-thump reaction and moving the car slightly off its intended course.
    The Mondeo on the other hand is just supremely confident in its cornering capability. It has extremely high grip levels, turns in sharply and confidently and dismisses corners at speeds so far exceeding the recommended speed it isn’t funny. The Mondeo also has sharp, communicative and responsive steering. The steering on the Mondeo is a tad heavier than that of the Mazda, but both offer decent weighting and crisp responses. The Mondeo really excels in ride comfort. Bumps mid corner don’t upset it at all, such is the body control and ability of the suspension to smooth out bumps. The ride is compliant, comfortable and smooth. That the ride is so good without in any way detracting from the handling capability is a big accomplishment. All the Euro and Aussie Ford’s I’ve driven manage to combine excellent handling with a comfortable and smooth ride. Its something that the Euro and Aussie Fords do so well.
    The Mazda6 and Mondeo are both brilliant dynamically – its just the way the two cars achieve such excellence is so different. Where the Mazda engages the driver and leaves a huge smile on the face of the driver, the Mondeo simply disposes of one corner after the other with outstanding confidence while never quite engaging the driver. The Mazda is the racer, the Mondeo the supreme mile eater. On a circuit the Mazda would be the better car, but on the open road, its stiff ride can get tiresome. The Mondeo just corners with a capability that surprises while still remaining comfortable.
    Separating the two dynamically really does depend on what the driver prefers. If you prefer a racier, hard edge to the cars dynamics and a stiff ride doesn’t bother you, then the Mazda is the better car. If you want your car to corner confidently but still want to feel cosseted, then the Mondeo is the better car. Most enthusiasts would probably prefer the Mazda. Most non-enthusiasts would probably find the Mondeo’s better ride sways the argument.
    As an enthusiast, I prefer the Mazda. I loved the racy, hard edge to the handling, something the excellent engine only enhances and can live with the ride. However, objectively, I feel that the Mondeo has the better overall handling/ride compromise.
    Where does this leave the Camry? Hard to say. The car I drove had worn – barely legal front tyres. I had to swap it for another rental after only 700km after informing Thrifty that not only were the tyres barely legal, but the registration was also due to run out before I returned it.
    So, in fairness to the Camry I can’t give a definitive statement on its dynamic capabilities. The grip levels of the car I drove were noticeably affected by its front tyres. I have no doubt that handling would be transformed by new tyres.
    Having said this, I can say the Camry certainly has competent handling. The car will understeer a bit on initial turn in (which would probably reduce on new tyres), but will its easily corrected and it will track around the corner confidently enough. The steering has decent weighting on the straight-ahead, and offers some feel on the corners. However, it loaded up significantly on the tighter corners. Also, the Camry was the only one of the three cars to display any torque steer – especially under hard acceleration away from the lights. The ride is also quite firm. The Camry – at least in Sportivo spec - isn’t bland to drive, but neither is it engaging to drive.

Points: Mazda6 – 9; Mondeo – 9; Camry 6.5 (maybe a 7.5 with better tyres).
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

CONCLUSION.

I allocated points in each of the above sections, and after adding them up, it’s a pretty clear win to the Mazda6, with the Camry second and the Mondeo third.
    However, as always, points don’t tell the full story. Is the Camry really a better car than the Mondeo? Objectively, yes it is. However, subjectively, I preferred the Mondeo as is more refined and more enjoyable to drive than the Camry. The Camry is better then the Mondeo in just about every other area. It’s is a higher quality product than the Mondeo, with a better a engine and more performance, its much better value for money and has more equipment. The reasons the Camry finished ahead of the Mondeo are the reasons why the Camry is a better buy, but this doesn’t necessarily make a better car to drive.
    The Mondeo is a great car to drive, but its off the pace now in areas such as quality, ergonomics and styling. It feels like an older car than the Mazda. If it wasn’t such a great car dynamically, I’d struggle to recommend it. Especially as while like most modern cars, it will be reliable enough, the Mondeo is the most likely of the three cars to give trouble as the kilometers build up.
    The Mazda is the winner whichever way I look at it. Not only is it the most engaging of the three cars from an enthusiast point of view, it also brings high levels of quality and Mazda’s reputation for reliability to the table. Not quite as good value for money as the Camry, not as refined as the Mondeo, but the Mazda6 ticks more boxes than either. It’s a pity that it has so much tyre noise, but that’s forgiveable in the context of how excellent it is in all other areas. Of the three cars, it’s the Mazda that I’d buy.

Points Overall out of 60:
    Mazda6 - 46.5
    Camry - 43.5
    Mondeo - 41

Ford Mondeo 2.0

For: excellent chassis with fine ride/handling compromise and sharp, communicative steering; comfortable seats; refinement; spacious

Against: dated exterior and interior styling; auto can clunk into gear at times; some question marks over long term reliability.

Toyota Camry Sportivo 2.4

For: comfortable; spacious; engine & auto well matched; engine smoothness/refinement; quality; solidity; equipment; would be painless to own; much better to drive than Camry’s appliance on wheels reputation would suggest.

Against: ugly body kit; bland styling; tyre noise; rattle from dashboard; no tiptronic function for gearbox.

Mazda6 2.3 GSX

For: fun to drive with brilliant dynamics with sharp turn in, easily adjustable on the throttle, and sharp well weighted steering; exterior and interior styling; performance; silky smooth, rev happy engine; sporty engine note; comfortable; spacious; well equipped; quality.

Against; firm ride; tyre and road noise resulting in poor refinement levels; body control on bumps mid corner not as well controlled as Mondeo.

Note: I didn't take any photos of the Camry, so you'll have to make do with a generic photos.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by motorsportnerd; 10-21-2006 at 05:44 AM.

A couple of more photos. In one photo - that's the Mazda6 I was hiring packed in front of my Aunt's house and next to a couple of cars owned by my family (a Hyundai something that I had nothing to do with and an old Mitsi). And several more photos of the Mondeo with some New Zealand landscape in the background of three of them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by motorsportnerd; 10-21-2006 at 05:44 AM.

Thread Information