Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Classic Australian Muscle Cars Specs & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    ive seen it heaps of times that they stopped making them for the Falcon in 82, so perhaps there was enough stockpile left to last till 84 or 84 etc. i know though theres a 72-82 ford v8 club and i can only imagine those years are intended so that its the locally made V8's in the club
    Ok if your sure your right...this information came from street machine 84 november-december issue and was a few months behind the times when it was printed....prehaps the club members didnt like the XE,XF models because the last ford built with a v8 was in 84 and it was an XE and the following year came the XF which with 2 facelifts lasted untill 89 when the EA came out...

yeah the XE Fairmont Ghia ESP was the last V8 model and perhaps the best Falcon of the 80's. I dont think it really matters what the exact year was, either way the XE was from 82 to 84 and the XF never had the V8
    I am the Stig

I know the XF never had the v8 but they had a nice injected 6 which could of replaced the 302...and the day glow orange melinum ute was something that would of been great...also my faveorite issue of street machine march 86 i think it was with their XF GT ont he cover would of been fantastic...they made an injectuion system for the celvland and compared it too the walkie....if only they had a bit more money with a 5 speed Getrag it would of improved the ecconmy and more then likly its top end too....

i think the average buyer at the time didnt waste their time looking at the figures, just drove the thing and wen from that. if it pulled hard off the line and sounded great, they assumed it was powerful. something the Ford 6 wouldnt have gone good at, as it lacked the low end torque of a V8 and then theres always the sound. even though the figures showed the Ford 6 was as powerful as Holdens 308
    I am the Stig

Well me and a mate test drove a 6 cylender xf and when he took off we bothn started smiling and when he went screaming around a corner and took off from it we started laughing...it was really good also this had extractors so it sounded allright too ...we wanted to get the mill and drop it in a cortina ...if ford done a few things to the cortina they could of had a 6 pot screamer that would of swayed a few torna buyers.....and imean it!

The 6 injected 6 was not sleepy by any standard and is one of the things that would ofkilled the 253....it was more powerful then the 253 and just as powerful as the 308 and also had more torque then the 253 as well...

well still thats an injected 6 compared to a carby V8, and the EEC-IV engine management ford had hooked up to their 6's were said to be one of the worlds best at the time, so it wouldnt have been hard for Holden to give themselves some breathing space.
    I am the Stig

Yeah but still the way people rate them i find is strange if i was going for a 6 they wouldbe very high on the list...

While the E49 charger was one of Australia's most classic muscle cars, the XU-1 Torana was superior. As it had simliar power to weight in its bathurst form, and is much lighter, therefore been easier on its brakes also being more nimble around corners. Bathurst 73 was in the bag, but usual to things at bathurst, not everything goes to plan.

All of the aussie big 3 had they're specials that were homolgated for Bathurst, as they were the CAMS rules at the time
    1. The Falcon GTs had their HO's
    2. Not sure about the Chargers but I'll go out on a limb and say the E49 is an example of one.
    3. The Torana GTR XU-1s had their run of Bathurst specials each year (all built in sept... 71?/72/73)

The figures quoted earlier for the XU-1 power figures are the non bathurst ones, and while I can't back this up with evidence (ie websites) I have seen figures in the 13's for 1/4 miles times for the 73 XU-1 Bathurst specials. Mind you, 13's have also been seen for the phase III.

On another note, it would be interesting to have some info posted here about the 'supercar scare', with the phase IV, GTR XU-1 V8, Charger V8

Cheers

I forgot to mention, it was published in the current edition of Australian Muscle Car that in 1977 Ford put $1million (est $4million these days) into the Motorsport Falcon GTs, so it wasn't until recently that they were supporting the teams with fundage.

Well invested $1million though, XC's 1-2 at Bathurst, althought the A9X got the better of them for the next 2 years

Cheers
    Its a friggin HAMMER!

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon500
    Fastest accelerating 6 cylender in the worl into the turbocharge prsche came out....
    Moffat...not moffart....not many things shit me but seemingly mispelling a persons name on purpose does.....
    Also you forgot to mention that he was raceing at your home tracks not his own which his cars where setup for....
    But that said the chergers where good cars and had a good price tag to match (at the time)
    Moffat raced the phase three at winton,mallala etc which are very similar to new zealand racetracks,so you cant use the argument of local tracks,the reason the nz chargers won was they were far better sorted out than the equivilent aust chargers,the chargers well and truley out handled the Phase 3 its just that it had a shit load more grunt up the mountain and down conrod.The phase 3 was built for Bathurst!
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by charged View Post
    Moffat raced the phase three at winton,mallala etc which are very similar to new zealand racetracks,so you cant use the argument of local tracks,the reason the nz chargers won was they were far better sorted out than the equivilent aust chargers,the chargers well and truley out handled the Phase 3 its just that it had a shit load more grunt up the mountain and down conrod.The phase 3 was built for Bathurst!
    Long dead thread but a long lost post there.

And some really bad spelling on my part too.

But yeah phase III was built to zoom down the striaght wasnt near as good for the slower tracks. Too heavy and didnt have the chassis setup the chargers did.

And guys if your going to revive a dead thread please add somthing worthwhile 10 words posts not really going anywhere is not cool especially if its been dead since 04.
    Lifts heavy things and hits hard......also eats as much as 2/3 people and sleeps 10 hours a day!

Quote Originally Posted by motorsportnerd View Post

Car: 1969 Holden Monaro HT 350 GTS
    Introduced: May 1969.
    Engine: Chevrolet 350 cu inch (5740 cc) V8
    Power: 225kW (350 bhp)@4800 rpm
    Torque: 380lb/ft
    Performance: 0-100km/h 7.7 secs;standing quarter 14.7 sec; top speed 217km/h
    These were imported to South Africa at the time. They were hugely popular here. Chevrolet produced a "lookalike" badged as the Chevrolet SS. Available as a 308/Tri-Matic or 350/Powerglide... Attached image of my first 'street rod' attempt of such a car. Apologies for the quality. Its a scan from a bad photograph. Early 90's.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by mudder View Post
    These were imported to South Africa at the time. They were hugely popular here. Chevrolet produced a "lookalike" badged as the Chevrolet SS. Available as a 308/Tri-Matic or 350/Powerglide... Attached image of my first 'street rod' attempt of such a car. Apologies for the quality. Its a scan from a bad photograph. Early 90's.
    Thats more like it!

Plenty of potential there did you mod it much? and are these cars epensive there? (prices here of old muscle cars is ridiculous

ps i love the body coloured stockies
    Lifts heavy things and hits hard......also eats as much as 2/3 people and sleeps 10 hours a day!

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon500 View Post
    Thats more like it!

Plenty of potential there did you mod it much? and are these cars epensive there? (prices here of old muscle cars is ridiculous

ps i love the body coloured stockies

Nope. Standard dress up goodies and the normal stuff to the engine. Crane Cam, 600CFM Holley, Edelbrock Performer intake, headers, Accel coil etc.

The attached image (ripped from a local site) shows a car that will probably fetch ZAR 30 000. Aus $ 180 000 (if I have my conversion tables correct). Since the movie "Gone in Sixty Seconds" local muscle car prices have also quadrupled.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Theres alot of factors causing these inflated prices and while i do love these cars theres no way on god green earth im paying 30k for a ford fairmont or up to 100+k for a GT.......

Oh past porting or new heads all together there isnt much more to do there that still not a bad list of mods there

Thread Information