Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Rolex 24 TV and online coverage.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

2012 Rolex 24 TV and online coverage.

GT field getting much more interesting with Ferrari and Audi joining in.

SPEED, SPEED.com to Cover Rolex 24 Flag to Flag

Interesting they don't go to VIR anymore now that ALMS is going there...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    Interesting they don't go to VIR anymore now that ALMS is going there...
    ALMS will be very popular at VIR, good move.

Grand Am is picking up a couple new venues, a third roval event at Indy and Belle Isle which Indy Car is returning to also. Always enjoyed watching the Indy cars there, don't know how it'll work for GA.

Actually now that they will be at Belle Isle, I might consider going, if not just to check out the cars....the track is typical street course and its meh for photo or viewing(went in 2008 with free tix from Pratt & Miller). Might get free tix again since both the "Corvette" DP and the Stevensen Camaro in GT are their babies...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    Actually now that they will be at Belle Isle, I might consider going, if not just to check out the cars....the track is typical street course and its meh for photo or viewing(went in 2008 with free tix from Pratt & Miller). Might get free tix again since both the "Corvette" DP and the Stevensen Camaro in GT are their babies...
    How many free tickets?... Heh.

I won't know until closer to the event...last year for PLM I could get the tix covered for the 4 people that were supposed to show....1 did...lol

12 hours road trip proved to be a stumbling block for some...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

That's great that they're gonna stream it on the internet, all the best action happens thruout the night and gets missed when they turn their TV cameras off

I'll be away from home on Sunday, but hope to see at least part of the race.

The grid:

Results

I'll be pullin' for the Rotaries in GT like I do every year.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Gotta go with Starworks with Luhr and McNish in DP and TRG with Henzler and Pumpelly in GT

My choices are Starworks and Flying Lizards.

Any (working) live video streaming there? Speed shows onboards only, Justin TV switches off constantly...

Not much inteerst to this race at UCP? It was interesting, at least those parts I've seen given the coverage was far from perfect even when you could find live Speed TV or Motors TV streaming.

American love to taking the pack together by neutralizations (thus making all efforts useless) played an important role, of course, but still the battle for P1 was there up to the last half an hour, when the DP leader started to get away. GT victory came to the crew that didn't seem like favourite to me neither before nor during the race. Also on Porsche, though. Lizards failed, don't know why - I missed the moment when they lost half of their rear end (before the middle of the race as far as I could get).

All in all, feelings are still mixed. DP cars are outdated, yep, but are like some blast from the nineties and provide some close racing at comparatively low cost. GT battles were great, especially between TRG and Brumos Porsches during the night.

On the other side, it was very tough to follow the race - timing never worked for me, Speed website was showing only onboards most of the time - interesting, but only for the first half an hour. At night they have thankfully switched to track cameras, but only roof camera was commented as far as I could understand, so the whole night was shown from one camera. Then, when morning came, damned onboards were back at the same time as Speed TV picture disappeared completely. In general I could follow some 10% of the race. Not mentioning my own problems like not having a paid Justin TV account which led to a two-three hours of watching minute-long bits interrupted by 'Too many connections for your country' messages.

If you want my personal opinion, Speed guys, look at GT1/GT3 websites and you will realize what the best 'online coverage' is - live, multi-camera, commented video on their own site supported by live timing. Never seen anything better than that yet. I know we could have had nothing at all, but what was there on Speed was just a joke on everyone outside US
    Last edited by faksta; 01-29-2012 at 11:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by faksta View Post
    Not much inteerst to this race at UCP? (
    UCP is in the snow.....but we will be going to Paris for Retromobile tomorrow....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thread Information