Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Best american car ever made

The Best american car ever made

What car do you think is the best american car ever made? I say the Vector Wiegert Vector W8 Twin Turbo. Maybe some day I'll hit the lottery and be able to buy one.

Corvette because it has been around for 50 years. I don't like most of the old ones but the C5 and C6 are really nice. For the money you can't beat the vette, it has performance that is better than most cars that cost 3 times as much plus it looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by Karrmann
    What car do you think is the best american car ever made? I say the Vector Wiegert Vector W8 Twin Turbo. Maybe some day I'll hit the lottery and be able to buy one.
    man the Weigert is sweet, i bought one in GT2 and it handles really well. anyway i think that the corvette is the best american car ever made because it has such a rich history, and it is still kicking a lot of ass today. it's the first true american sports car.
    other good one are:
    the Viper
    the S7
    and the Ford GT40
    and of course the Cobra
    Wenn Sie wissen wollen, was einen volkswagen ein volkswagen macht, treibt es.

although the corvettes have a rich history, you cant really go past a hemi big block, they are true high horsepower engine and had a still considered as one of the best v8 designed engine of all time

Quote Originally Posted by SHAKER
    although the corvettes have a rich history, you cant really go past a hemi big block, they are true high horsepower engine and had a still considered as one of the best v8 designed engine of all time
    Well thats debateable its about 800lbs of engine and its power is matched by the caddie 500 and is about 60 ft/lbs down on tourqenot to mention the cost on mods and parts.
    But as for go the GT40 and the mustangs both classics ones returned and one never left and the mustang has finally killed the camaro through a sales figure of about 4 to 1.

Sorry Falc, but I have to disagree with you here. The Hemi's power was not matched by the Caddy 500 ci engine, its rated hp and torque figures were a half truth, they listed the peak hp and torque figures at about 1500 rpm lower than where the peak figures were actually.

The 426 was rated at 425hp @ 4800 rpm but it actually made its peak hp closer to 6500 rpm, you have to remember the Chrysler hemi was a detuned race engine, and the design of the hemi head promoted better breathing at higher rpm.

Either way, it hardly qualifies any of the hemi cars as "best American car ever made" because in day to day driving they were reportedly very temperamental and plug fouling was a constant issue.

My own pick for best car would be the Corvette and it doesn't really matter what year either - aside from the late '70's - early '80's which were lacking any real power and just looked stylish.

Vette and Stang are classics.......old muscle cars and stuff like that, and the GT40...

Quote Originally Posted by NoOne
    Sorry Falc, but I have to disagree with you here. The Hemi's power was not matched by the Caddy 500 ci engine, its rated hp and torque figures were a half truth, they listed the peak hp and torque figures at about 1500 rpm lower than where the peak figures were actually.

The 426 was rated at 425hp @ 4800 rpm but it actually made its peak hp closer to 6500 rpm, you have to remember the Chrysler hemi was a detuned race engine, and the design of the hemi head promoted better breathing at higher rpm.
    well thats all true and most american companys did do that with their hi po models but personally i prefer thir weedge engines the "elephant" name the hemis were given was well deserved and the ngine was also let down by a poor manifold too imo i got that from fiddling on our computer dyno you wont belive the gains a slight change can make on them.

1. Plymouth Hemi Cuda is the Best American Car
    2. Corvette and Mustang - Look at the history of those cars.
    3. Shelby cobra 427 - 1965
    4. Dodge Charger R/T - 1969
    5. Trans Am 455 - 1974
    Last edited by lfb666; 01-30-2004 at 07:08 AM.
    Fasten seat belt while seated

I say the best American car made isn't a car at all. The Ford F-150 Lightning in my opinion is the best considering the fact that this thing is a truck, can handle as well, or nearly as well, as a Mustang Cobra, and the sound of the supercharger kicking in. That's just awesome.
    But, just to be fair, the best car ever made was the AAR 'cuda. It just came in too late in the muscle car era.

I think my list will be...
    1. Corvette, specificly the C5s
    2.Cobra
    3.GT40
    4.Mustang, mostly the earlier Mustangs
    5.Saleen S7 and Viper tie
    Wenn Sie wissen wollen, was einen volkswagen ein volkswagen macht, treibt es.

yeah any modyfied engines tempramental, i got a mildy tuned 302 w and it hates hot weather, and keeping a big block cool, is a constant battle, i had a 460 big block and with its massive twin thermos and a monster rad, she still ran hot in summer, nothing worse than watching the temp guage rising when ur stuck in traffic!

this is the best americain mucle car

dodge challenger
    Attached Images Attached Images
    wat you dont understand, is that i make love to my hand....so i dont need you honey, i beat my dik liek it owes me money
    !!

and this is second

yenko camaro
    Attached Images Attached Images
    wat you dont understand, is that i make love to my hand....so i dont need you honey, i beat my dik liek it owes me money
    !!

HERES MY WAY IN:
    85 5.0
    iroc camaro 5.6 ltre
    65 gto
    malibu/chavelle
    that big ol himi of dodge
    pontiac 1970's era trans-am 454
    mk iv gt40 because its a track car not an everyday driver(not to be confused with the ford gt)

as far as new ones goes:

dodge viper
    c5 vette but i hate the floaty feeling at speed
    s-7
    shelbys cobra s-1
    zl1 camero
    ford gt
    too many to add......
    Last edited by plexus; 02-08-2004 at 06:18 PM.
    RUBBINS RACING!

Thread Information