Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DeltaWing IndyCar Concept

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    what's the vertical wing for? yaw?
    Yaw control is probably the only way that thing can steer!

I, on the other hand, find this project fascinating. Indy and F1 cars for the last nearly four decades have all come to look pretty much the same (To the proverbial "man in the street". e.g. -my brother, who wouldn't know a camshaft from a crankshaft, can't discern the difference between a contemporary race car and one from 35 years ago.) OK, we, of course, can tell.the difference. But, something as new as this design would shake things up, wouldn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by fairlyoldguy View Post
    I, on the other hand, find this project fascinating. Indy and F1 cars for the last nearly four decades have all come to look pretty much the same (To the proverbial "man in the street". e.g. -my brother, who wouldn't know a camshaft from a crankshaft, can't discern the difference between a contemporary race car and one from 35 years ago.) OK, we, of course, can tell.the difference. But, something as new as this design would shake things up, wouldn't it?
    Yes. But first it has to work.

I don't know it certainly does look revolutionary. And it also looks like it's an accident waiting to happen. However the man behind apparently isn't an up-start, so it could work.

In any case, many innovations in single seaters have been banned by the governing bodies themselves, at least in F1. Examples include the 6-wheeled Tyrrell or the fan-sucking Brabham.
    Last edited by Ferrer; 02-12-2010 at 01:10 PM.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Many Indycar fans have been clamoring for innovation- see Robin Miller's weekly Mailbox on Speedtv.com. Also, see Marshalll Pruett's piece on speedtv.com. A lot of people are getting behind this project, and Chip Ganassi doesn't back losers! I would love to see this thing work out, but if I were a betting man, I would bet that the IRL will go with the "safe alternative", i.e., the Dallara, Swift or Lola. I wonder what the great innovators, Colin Chapman, Vittorio Jano, Harry Miller, and Old Doc Porsche are thinking!

The car has been approved to run and "should" be posting times in between P1 and P2 class of Le Mans 24 hours, but is allowed to run in a class of its own. I am just guessing but it just might take the podium for its class.

AUTO RACING - LE MANS: DeltaWing To Build LMP1 Car For 2012 LM24 Race

WITH A VID
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qab8Jkk3yNA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qab8Jkk3yNA[/ame]
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

The vid is even from rFactor.....

This car is definitely in the category of I'll believe it when I see it....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Sledgehammer View Post
    The car has been approved to run and "should" be posting times in between P1 and P2 class of Le Mans 24 hours, but is allowed to run in a class of its own. I am just guessing but it just might take the podium for its class.
    Le Mans has 55 offical entries and one (number 56) is kept in reserve for special, innovative, projects. (Hence the name Project 56). At the moment there are two other concepts in the running for box 56 for 2012, so participation of the Deltawing is not guaranteed.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

hmmmm, narrow front track is going to end in tears
    I can understand how this might perform well in sims where tyre grip isn't that well matched to the real world relying too heavily on "models" based on experience.
    Front tyres too close together does give one advantage of beign able to take more kerb and not disturb the steered wheels grip -- until the rears hit
    Nice theory but I guarantee will prove crap on corners and unstable on the bumps OR require so much downforce from the "New aero" that it will be exceptionally slow. It needs adaptive computer controlled suspension to even start to have a chance I think.
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 09-29-2011 at 01:50 AM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Thats whats weird about the whole deal. When it was Indy car the people who backed it(Ganassi) and people who designed it(Ben Bowlby, who designed the Lola for Champ Car) are not stupid people, and AAR who is responsible for the Le Mans version is not exactly a 2 bit wood shed outfit. But the whole thing is just so far from convention that there are no rational reference point to judge it from....

I am fully prepared to have my jaws dropped if it actually turns out as it is supposed to be, but I am not holding my breath...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Pick up the august issue of racecar engineering. They have a very interesting article on the project. Some very complex and very unconventional aerowork is going on, the engineers believe that combined with the lightweight and the extreme weight distribution will overcome the lack of front end grip. But I won't think too much of it unless a convincing prototype is built and track tested.
    "Don't think your time on bad things
    Just float your little mind around"
    Jimi Hendrix

Yeah I can see mangum how it might work in theory.
    BUT the reality of those narrow front track is it will start to act like a single wheel as it can't change height ( absorb bumps ) without some radical shifts in camber/caster. UNLESS they has something very unique going on
    So one of those front wheels hits a bump/debris/kerb and the other will lose grip. Think of it as a VERY wide front wheel Any chance you could scan the article and mail it ? ta
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

we drove the Morgan three wheeler a couple of weeks ago. If the two narrow front wheels of the Delta Wing react in the same way as the rear wheel of the morgan (i.e. jumping all over the road in case you hit a pothole) then the system may have difficulties to work, unless the track is as smooth as can be.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

What are the benefits of this design if any? Vogue new styling to attract sponsors?

the idea I think was to have much better aero efficiency so they can use much lighter engine with less power but can hit the same speed....
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

The idea is to reduce drag as much as possible and keep weight to a minimum. The article claimed a target weight of I believe 800KG. I understand the point of the wheels being close together and acting as one. And I can understand the analogy of this to the morgan 3 wheeler. But the Morgan is not a car with a 7 digit + budget. As well, I'm sure they have some trick suspension set up hidden up their sleeves. What kind of racing team reveals their secrets before the races begin? Audi didn't reveal they used a VGT turbo until a month after Le Mans, afterall. I will try tomorrow to scan that article for everyone, its quite late here.
    "Don't think your time on bad things
    Just float your little mind around"
    Jimi Hendrix

Thread Information