Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What would be the fastest?

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Basically I think that the best car has to be an all rounder.
    I think a C6 is still significantly more comfortable than your choice, and not significantly slower....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    I think a C6 is still significantly more comfortable than your choice, and not significantly slower....
    You are very probably right.

But mine uses less fuel and has an extra 18 litres in the tank.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Probably some sort of mini-bus, with enough room for a bed or two, a portable toilet and plenty of space for the co-drivers i'll take with me to do the trip non-stop.
    I am the Stig

Holden Commodore/ Chev Lumina. Big engine, lots of space, not so big price.

You are very probably right.

But mine uses less fuel and has an extra 18 litres in the tank.
    could well be, but be prepared that your car will be subjected "to inspection" at the Russian border.....you may have to walk the remaining distance...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    The performance numbers on the 520d and the E220 CDI are very close, except the BMW gets much better fuel consumption. However the Benz does have the larger fuel tank which in this situation counts for a lot. I'm not sure which is more comfortable, but I'm sure the 5 is much more fun to drive.

If I were going to pick a Citroen, C6 2.2 HDI.
    My mom currently ownes a 520d and she had a E220CDI before that. We both drive that car alot (both with a very heavy right foot) and the BMW gets about 6,6l/100km, the merc did around 7,6l/100km. According to the onboard computer the BMW would do about 100-150km more than the E220 on a full tank.

The Mercedes is MUCH more comfortable than the BMW (the merc had a "lowered" suspension since it was an Avantgarde version, the normal version should be ridiculously comfortable). The steering on the BMW is much more communicative though. Braking is somewhat the same. The BMW is more fun to drive. I'd never get a sports suspension or big wheels on it though.

As for the S-class I don't know. We used to own an S320 (petrol, previous model), which was sleep inducing. It was comfortable and quick but it felt like a big boat and was actually too comfortable for driving it yourself. The steering was completely vague. As a passenger it was great.
    It was also extremely unreliable.
    But then again, I haven't driven a new S-class yet.

As for top speed, who cares. You can't use it even if you're allowed to. Even 200kph is way more than enough.

All in all, I'd choose the BMW 520d as well. All it needs is the active seats and Xenon lights*

*Xenon should be mandatory on every car as far as I'm concerned. I couldn't live without it anymore. I always get frustrated in my own car that doesn't have Xenons.
    Last edited by Lagonda; 03-20-2008 at 08:05 AM.

there hasn't been built a car to even match veyron performances, at least no new model from bugatti :P

Quote Originally Posted by FiSK888 View Post
    there hasn't been built a car to even match veyron performances, at least no new model from bugatti :P
    9ff GT9. Koenigsegg CCXR. But that's not the point; the point is while you're exhausted from keeping that car on the road and the terrible ride and you're stuck in traffic and your fuel gauge is almost empty AGAIN and know you need to pull over for fuel but you really don't know if you can bring yourself to squeeze out and squeeze in the Veyron AGAIN, I'll be sailing by in my 520d in complete comfort wondering if I'm really going to need to make three fuel stops like I planned or if I can do it on two.

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    My mom currently ownes a 520d and she had a E220CDI before that. We both drive that car alot (both with a very heavy right foot) and the BMW gets about 6,6l/100km, the merc did around 7,6l/100km. According to the onboard computer the BMW would do about 100-150km more than the E220 on a full tank.

The Mercedes is MUCH more comfortable than the BMW (the merc had a "lowered" suspension since it was an Avantgarde version, the normal version should be ridiculously comfortable). The steering on the BMW is much more communicative though. Braking is somewhat the same. The BMW is more fun to drive. I'd never get a sports suspension or big wheels on it though.

As for the S-class I don't know. We used to own an S320 (petrol, previous model), which was sleep inducing. It was comfortable and quick but it felt like a big boat and was actually too comfortable for driving it yourself. The steering was completely vague. As a passenger it was great.
    It was also extremely unreliable.
    But then again, I haven't driven a new S-class yet.

As for top speed, who cares. You can't use it even if you're allowed to. Even 200kph is way more than enough.

All in all, I'd choose the BMW 520d as well. All it needs is the active seats and Xenon lights*

*Xenon should be mandatory on every car as far as I'm concerned. I couldn't live without it anymore. I always get frustrated in my own car that doesn't have Xenons.
    Well Ferrer, I guess this solves our 5 vs. E debate.

I agree with King, a Veyron, really what else? the sheer power and speed of the thing would take care of the time lost in the fuel stops.
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

Quote Originally Posted by ruim20 View Post
    I agree with King, a Veyron, really what else? the sheer power and speed of the thing would take care of the time lost in the fuel stops.
    Three words: "Cops" "Traffic" "Fatigue". The fact is traffic is a reality throughout Europe now and even if the road is clear, a Veyron doing 200mph is going to get noticed pretty quickly. Finally, the Veyron isn't know for its supple ride, after six hours driving that thing you're going to be exhausted.

However, if you do insist on using a car that has supercar performance you'd at least want a grandtourer. I'd suggest a 612 Scagietti or a Continental GT Speed.

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    Well Ferrer, I guess this solves our 5 vs. E debate.
    Basically the 5er wins...

Another interesting candidate would be the XJ6D.

By the way with Lagonda concerning the Xenons. They are really a must for driving at night. They do really make a difference. I wonder how LEDs will be.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Basically the 5er wins...

Another interesting candidate would be the XJ6D.
    Not an option. Unless a Jag has an inline 6 only three kinds of people drive them: Anglophiles, old ladies and homosexuals.

XJ13 and XJ220 don't count.

You know what? I actually might take the new Chevy Malibu; the V6 has decent power its comfortable and gets decent mileage. Motor Trend drove it across America and it did the job just fine.

Mercedes ML63 AMG if fuel was no worry, otherwise an ML420 CDI.
    Big, very, very comfy, the AMG is just totally bonkers and the 420 CDI will still go like the clappers when needed. Perhaps a Porsche Cayenne GTS...
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

Thread Information